Help with nose bleed

Old June 19th 07, 05:25 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Help with nose bleed

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone in this group could give me some advice on a
medical problem that my beloved Coffey is having. Just a little info
on Coffey: he is a 12 yr lab mix (with a chow blood for sure because
of the blue tongue) and i have had him since he was about 2 (got him
from a pound). Health wise, he has a good record until last december
when he was diagnosed with cushing's disease (pituitary gland). I was
very devastated when I found out, but I know eventhough there is no
cure, I will give my best to improve his quality of life. He is on
Anipryl, 30mg, once a day. Also, he is on Optimmune, 2x a day for his
left eye (the vet said that the tear duct isn't making tears
anymore). All is good; the Anipryl has helped a lot (he isn't
drinking nor peeing a lot anymore, less panting, but still has his pot-
belly) and the optimmune works well also.

The problem now is that he has been having nose bleed; not much blood
coming out, only a drop or two, occasionally (very irregular) from his
right nasal. I mentioned it to the vet and she prescribed
antibiotics. During antibiotic treatment, the nose bleed stopped;
however, upon completion of the drug, the bleed came back. I have
returned to the vet and she prescribed another week dose of antibiotic
(thinking that she didn't prescribe enough dose previously). Same
response; no nose bleed during treatment, but came back after
completion. I am now puzzled; I don't know if it is good to keep
putting Coffey on antibiotics. I also know that there is something
that caused the bleeding. I don't know if it is the side effect of
the medications he is taking or something else. Overall look of
Coffey, he is a happy go-lucky old man. Sometime he still acts like
when I first got him.

Does anyone have any suggestion or advice concerning his nose bleed?
Coffey has a very good vet, but his nose bleed is starting to worry
me. Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thank you all,
Li

Old June 19th 07, 07:41 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

==========
My wonderful 7 year old Rottweiler, Susie, also developed blood trickling
from her nose. The vet gave her meds or antibotics, not certain if it was
antibiotics or not, and it would stop, and as soon as I ran out of the
medicine, it would start again. I spent around $2000 in tests alone to
find out what was wrong with her, which they never found. At the point where
they were going to test her for cancer, she died in my arms at home. I have
never gotten over losing her. I now have another Rottweiler, which I
adopted three years ago, and a new vet. The vet might have done all she
could to save Susie, but I could not bring myself to go back to her again; I
guess I am still a little bitter that with all the testing, she could not
find out what the problem was. I have always felt that she died from
cancer. If you ever do find out what is wrong with your dog, please post it
to this group. I hope your dog's condition is not life threatening. There
are other conditions which can cause bleeding from the nose. At the time, I
remember googling "dog bleeding from the nose" and found a couple of
conditions that can cause it, but my dog did not have those problems or
conditions, because she was tested for them all. She went down hill fast
after the bleeding started. I really miss her.

Old June 19th 07, 09:37 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

On Jun 19, 11:41 am, "pfoley" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Thank you for your reply and I am so sorry to hear about your
Rottweiler. The same with Coffey; he is everything to me and yes, I
hope that I can find out what is wrong with him and I hope it isn't
something serious. I will do everything that I can to help him, but I
know that at some point I have to decide what's best for him. I don't
want him to go through all the pain and anxiety, test after test, in a
place where I know he doesn't want to be. At the present time, he
looks healthy; loves to eat and I really do hope and pray that there
isn't anything more serious than his cushings.

Old June 20th 07, 01:13 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have
returned to the vet and she prescribed another week dose of antibiotic
(thinking that she didn't prescribe enough dose previously). Same
response; no nose bleed during treatment, but came back after
completion

I'd have the dog tested for Ehrlichia to start:
http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dblood.html#Nosebleeds

.........particularly since antibiotics seem to help. Doxycycline is the
drug of choice for Ehrlichia. If the test is positive here's some reading:
http://www.minden.com/nowhereelse/ca...ck_disease.htm

Other possibilities are fungal diseases and cancer, but I find it peculiar
it responds to antibiotics........so as dire as Ehrlichia can be, it's a
better option than nasal cancer. I suppose it could be a foreign body
also - like a grass awn.

If the tick test is negative, I'd discuss the next step with the
vet ------maybe an X-ray, don't know. They also need to check the teeth and
make sure there's no infection in the upper jaw that might have migrated to
the sinus cavities.

Runny nose Kathen Dog health 0 March 9th 05 11:34 PM
Mojo's Nose [email protected] Dog behavior 1 November 14th 04 12:31 AM
my dogs nose MauiJNP Dog behavior 11 November 5th 04 11:23 AM
My Dog has a bad nose (not a joke) Andrew Jones \(reply to group please\) Dog health 0 October 3rd 03 02:38 AM
The Nose... Shelly & The Boys Dog behavior 0 August 1st 03 04:24 AM