Never say never

Old June 19th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mary Healey

Default Never say never

I dropped Duke at the vet's for a routine dental this morning. At noon, I
got a phone call. Concerned, thinking something serious happened to Duke,
I picked up. A young male voice said, "I found this dog, and when I called
the number on his tag, they gave me your number." And I thought, Eh?

"He's a red dog with white feet." And I thought, Double EH? Then I
thought, Who's giving my number out for ACD rescue?

Then he says, "Don't you want your dog back?"

Oh.

MY red dog with white feet. My escape-artist, alone-for-the-first-time-in-
years, left-in-the-bedroom-with-a-box-fan-in-the-open-window red dog.

Bloody beast came prancing to the door like he lived there. Fortunately, I
have a very nice neighbor who didn't mind calling and waiting around for me
to walk home. I also now have a fully-enclosed red dog, shut windows, and
I stuffed Lindy in the room with him so he'll feel less compelled to do his
Houdini thing. And one of Gareth's old babygates is going back in the
window, as soon as I can track it down. And the big trunk/perch is going
to find a home somewhere *other* than under the window. I'm just hoping
that he didn't get into anything or do any damage while he was AWOL.

Ranger's only been wearing his rabies tag on his collar since October.
He's ripped off and lost every other set he's had. (Thank goodness Lindy
didn't escape with him -- she's too skittery to run up to strangers, and
doesn't have any tags on her collar.) He's never shown any inclination to
go through the window, but now that he's learned it, I'll be playing
catchup for awhile. Close call. Way too close.
Old June 19th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mary Healey

montana wildhack wrote in

On 2007-06-19 14:55:01 -0400, Mary Healey said:

Then he says, "Don't you want your dog back?"

D'oh!!!!

I don't think my heart would have stopped pounding for days!

I'm more upset now than I was when it happened. It just *never* occurred
to me that Ranger might escape from the house. Now I've something to worry
about.
Old June 19th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 19 Jun 2007 18:55:01 GMT, Mary Healey wrote:

[...]
MY red dog with white feet. My escape-artist, alone-for-the-first-time-in-
years, left-in-the-bedroom-with-a-box-fan-in-the-open-window red dog.

How did he pull it off, Mary?

Presumably the fan wasn't on at the time, but did you have an open
space between the fan and the window sill?

Did he push the fan out?

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Do you remember me?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ervaMPt4Ha0&eurl=

Harry Reid. "It's time for you to go!'
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.c...4B5D5BDB0E7D4A

You gotta be shittin' us, Harry, you sorry excuse for a human being.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rZdAB4V_j8&eurl=

No Drug Smuggler Left Behind!
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=21129

Immigration: What the deal-makers don't want you to know!
http://www2.nationalreview.com/dest/...athappened.pdf

"Reality-based community" apparently memory challenged, too!
http://www.breitbart.tv/html/1602.html

Mother Nature’s Pesticides:
http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/...070&emc=eta 1

Dennis Miller goes nuclear on Harry Reid!
http://hotair.com/archives/2007/06/1...on-harry-reid/

Don't mess with old farts!
http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...nger_in_check/

The Neglected Truths of the Immigration Debate:
http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/...of_the_im.html

Dave Burge for President!
http://iowahawk.typepad.com/iowahawk...ot_americ.html

Parent, grandparent, etc. of a boy? Get this book!
The Dangerous Book for Boys, by Conn & Hal Iggulden
http://www.dangerousbookforboys.com/

Old June 19th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Mary Healey wrote in
.4:

Then he says, "Don't you want your dog back?"

Oh.

MY red dog with white feet.

Scary! I'm glad everything worked out ok. Sounds like he ran up to the
first person he saw, though -- those are the kind that usually don't get
too far.

I wonder if he was out looking for Duke.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old June 19th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mary Healey

ceb wrote:
I wonder if he was out looking for Duke.

He doesn't even LIKE Duke. That's what's so weird.
Old June 19th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mary Healey

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:
How did he pull it off, Mary?

Presumably the fan wasn't on at the time, but did you have an open
space between the fan and the window sill?

He pulled the fan in (it was on the floor of the bedroom), then pushed the
screen out. No, the fan wasn't on. Maybe he wouldn't have messed with it
if it had been.

I think I'll be shopping for a wire mesh babygate. I just don't trust the
plastic-centered ones. Just when I think things are starting to settle
down...

Old June 19th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Mary Healey wrote in
.4:

ceb wrote:
I wonder if he was out looking for Duke.

He doesn't even LIKE Duke. That's what's so weird.

He doesn't have to like him to HUNT HIM DOWN WHEREVER HE IS HE'S PROBABLY
HAVING FUN, FUN THAT I AM NOT HAVING RIGHT NOW! OUTSIDE!! WITH THE
HUMAN!!!!

Old June 19th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Mary Healey wrote in
.4:

Just when I think things are starting to settle
down...

It will all be ok. Sounds like the adrenaline's still pumping...

Old June 20th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 19 Jun 2007 20:20:47 GMT, Mary Healey wrote:

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:
How did he pull it off, Mary?

Presumably the fan wasn't on at the time, but did you have an open
space between the fan and the window sill?

He pulled the fan in (it was on the floor of the bedroom), then pushed the
screen out. No, the fan wasn't on.

Wow. Sounds like he watches Bob Vila!

Hide the power tools!

I think I'll be shopping for a wire mesh babygate. I just don't trust the
plastic-centered ones. Just when I think things are starting to settle
down...

Hey, all's well that ends well.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Yo, Judith!
http://blogs.nypost.com/movies/archi...on_m.html#more

Old June 20th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
M Healey

ceb wrote:
He doesn't have to like him to HUNT HIM DOWN WHEREVER HE IS HE'S
PROBABLY HAVING FUN, FUN THAT I AM NOT HAVING RIGHT NOW! OUTSIDE!!
WITH THE HUMAN!!!!

Heh. You're probably right.

When I got home, even with the window shut, I could hear him keening from a
block away. It was muffled, but I recognized that mournful howl. Idiot
dog.

The new extra-tall gate barely fits in the window, but it's pretty solidly
wedged into the space. Here's hoping I don't meet any more of my neighbors
the same way.