Need help with dog training!

Old June 20th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Charlotte

Default Need help with dog training!

I`m absolutely new in the field of owning pets. Honey is my first pet
dog and I really want to give her the best. She`s generally sweet but
she has a problem with chewing... our shorts, shoe laces and shirts.
We`ve got 3 toys for her (is this enough??) and we try to give her the
toys instead whenever she starts chewing our shorts, but it doesn`t
work. She seems to prefer our shorts more than the toys. Sometimes
she`d even scratch our hands and legs.

What more seriously is, when we try to push her away to stop her
chewing, she turns to bite US. I have a feeling that she doesn`t trust
us. As I said, I`m a new owner. And someone who have dogs told us to
beat her when she misbehaved. Until I`d found plenty of information
online only I realised we shouldn`t beat her. I feel regret now. I
understand why she doesn`t trust us. Is there any way to gain back her
trust to us?

We`ve try ignoring and leaving her when she misbehaved. I`ve tried to
grap her muzzle (as taught online, though I recently found out it`s
not good... T.T). I said `NO` when she misbehaved, I praise her and
give her some dog snacks when she does something right. But none of
these seem to work. Or is it simply because I`m not patient enough?

Once she`s grown up I don`t think we have control over her. And,
everyone around me is advising me to beat her!! They`re dog owners who
said their dogs became obedient after they beat them up and that
there`s no side effect was all!! My parents have made it clear that we
won`t be able to keep her for long if we can`t control her because
they don`t want anyone to get hurt.

I`m feeling very bad that I`ve beaten her. But there really was no way
I could have found some reliable source as in my country, animal
rights and training isn`t an issue people care about... But I want to
be one of the few who care.

I understand my mail might have come as a real disturbance for you,
but I really need some advices from experienced dog owners. Thanks a
million

Old June 20th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:06:39 -0700, Charlotte
wrote:

[...]
I understand my mail might have come as a real disturbance for you,
but I really need some advices from experienced dog owners. Thanks a
million

Charlotte, provided you're not just a troll, enroll yourself and your
poor little puppy in a PUPPY OBEDIENCE TRAINING class, and do it ASAP.

You vet may be able to aim you in the right direction, or maybe your
local community college, SPCA, dog shelter/pound, etc. can help.

In the meantime, STOP BEATING YOUR POOR PUPPY, you freakin' asshole!

Have a nice day!

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Yo, Judith!
http://blogs.nypost.com/movies/archi...on_m.html#more
http://www.freemarketcure.com/
http://blog.nam.org/archives/2007/06/the_real_sicko.php

Do you remember me?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ervaMPt4Ha0&eurl=

Harry Reid. "It's time for you to go!'
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.c...4B5D5BDB0E7D4A

You gotta be shittin' us, Harry, you sorry excuse for a human being.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rZdAB4V_j8&eurl=

Parent, grandparent, etc. of a boy? Get this book!
The Dangerous Book for Boys, by Conn & Hal Iggulden
http://www.dangerousbookforboys.com/

Old June 21st 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Charlotte wrote:

I`m feeling very bad that I`ve beaten her. But there really was no way
I could have found some reliable source as in my country, animal
rights and training isn`t an issue people care about... But I want to
be one of the few who care.

Good for you! What country to you live in?

This web site has links to many articles about dog behavior,
problems, training.
http://www.dogplay.com/Behavior/index.html

How old is she? Make sure she gets lots and lots of exercise,
via walking and play. Tired dogs are much less likely to get
into trouble. Try to anticipate her "bad" behavior, so that you
can intervene and prevent it; then reward her immediately with
praise or a treat for doing something "good" - such as sitting down.

If she is afraid of you because you have beat her, it will take a
lot of patience to win back her trust. Be kind and gentle with
her, don't raise your voice, give her lots of little treats, try
to entice her to play and have fun with you.

Just like human babies, puppies require a lot of your time and
supervision. It took you several years to learn how to behave;
puppies don't even take as long as humans, but they still require
a lot of effort.

And using rewards, train her to sit, lie down, stay, walk on a
leash, heel, come when called. This site talks about using a
clicker to help with the training. It's full of good advice on
training, and you don't even have to use a clicker, just another
sound, like clucking your tongue, to immediately reward the
behavior you want to see. Keep your training sessions short,
follow them with play, and above all, have fun with your puppy!

http://www.clickertraining.com/

FurPaw
--
The Bush legacy - no child left a dime.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old July 9th 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dougal Kay

Theres loads of online training guides that can be got reasonably
cheap, heres three good ones that i found helpful:

http://www.reviews.gobbledegoop.net/archives/3

Old July 9th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article . com,
Dougal Kay wrote:
http://www.reviews.gobbledegoop.net/archives/3

"Gobbledegoop" is right. He starts out by misspelling
"obedience." The first sentence is "Is your dog disobediant
and embarrass you?" And it's downhill from there. Which, of
course, raises the question "Why is spam of such low
quality?"
http://www.discourse.net/archives/20...w_quality.html

Old July 9th 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy

in thread : (Melinda
Shore) whittled the following words:

In article . com,
Dougal Kay wrote:
http://www.reviews.gobbledegoop.net/archives/3

"Gobbledegoop" is right. He starts out by misspelling
"obedience." The first sentence is "Is your dog disobediant
and embarrass you?" And it's downhill from there. Which, of
course, raises the question "Why is spam of such low
quality?"
http://www.discourse.net/archives/20...such_low_quali
ty.html

I have to admit he lost me when he mentions his own dog's problems that
he has not yet resolved. How is he going to help others, if he hasn't
fixed his own problems?
If he's going to preach to people about obedience trained dogs, I would
think he'd have these problems resolved.
Old July 12th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dougal Kay

hehe some people are so pedantic....Theres always good reasons for
spelling errors.

Old July 12th 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article .com,
Dougal Kay wrote:
hehe some people are so pedantic....Theres always good reasons for
spelling errors.

Yeah - illiteracy being the leading "good reason." One can
only imagine what that piece of crap you're trying to peddle
looks like.

For the most part, people know that there are almost always
some pretty good dog training books available at their local
bookstore. There's no reason to buy piece-of-crap pieces of
crap written by semi-literate opportunists who aren't
actually dog trainers.