long hair chihuahua

Old June 22nd 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Hornings

Default long hair chihuahua

I recently received a long hair 22 month old male Chihuahua which my son
brought home from someone. He had been
with the last family only 5 months. Seemed to enjoy my husband and my 25
year old son, and really loved me for about
a week. He's really very good, except he has run out into the street a
couple times to chase someone. 4 days ago, he ran after 2 small dogs and
would not respond to any of my calling him back. When the 2 dogs chased him
home, I scolded and patted him lightly on the hinder. For 4 days now, he
wants nothing to do with me and has latched onto my husband. I have had 2
shorthair Chihuahuas before and know they are temperamental, but never
anything like this. If I try to pick him up, he wants to snap at me, won't
sleep in my bed, or stay on my lap. He is now my husband's best buddy and
glares at me. I can tell he is mad. How long does this grudge last? Are
long hair ones different than short hair?

Old June 22nd 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Hornings

Isn't he too old already for that at 22 months. So, how do I get him
to love me again? I wasn't crazy about keeping the dog since I lost a
chihuahua/terrier after 14 years; but when I got this dog, his previous
owner had fed him so much he weighs 10 lbs....when he should weigh
6 lbs! I just can't give him back. He doesn't run out of the house,
rather, we've trusted him to stay unleashed by our side. I think from
now on, your suggestion is great, and I will leash him to my belt loop
as he loves to follow us around outside.

On 2007-06-22 17:21:54 -0400, "Hornings" said:

How long does this grudge last?

You, your husband and your dog need to get some training.

First, don't let the dog get into a position where it can run out of the
house. If that means keeping the dog on a leash inside, so be it.

Second, "scolding" doesn't really communicate anything to the dog. If you
can't correct the dog the second it does something wrong, you may as well
not bother.

Third, learning how to properly correct a tiny dog like yours is a really
good idea.

Fourth, the dog sounds like an adorable handful, so get him some training!

Old June 23rd 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.dogs.breeds,alt.pets.dogs.labrador,alt.pets.dogs.pitbull

HOWEDY Hornings,

On Jun 22, 6:08 pm, "Hornings" wrote:
"montana wildhack" wrote in message

Note: The author of this message requested that it not be
archived. This message will be removed from Groups in 6
days (Jun 29, 5:48 pm).

You MIGHT wanna ask HOWE COME montana
set her INFORMATIVE posts to EXXXPIRE in a
few days?

matty aka Rocky EXXXPLAINS HOWE COME:

"Rocky" wrote
For reasons I'll only explain privately, I've gone no
archive, and it's a shame. Once in a while, while
looking for something else, I'll run into an old post
of mine. What an idiotic response! Whoops.

BWEEEAAAHAHAAAHAAHAAA!~!~!

On 2007-06-22 17:21:54 -0400,

"Hornings" said:

How long does this grudge last?

You can get your dog over her FEAR and MISTRUST
of you in maybe WON or two days IF you simply DO
EVERY THING EXXXACTLY PRECISELY OPPOSITE
of HOWE these pathetic miserable stinkin lyin animal
murderin punk thug coward active accute chronic life
long incurable mental cases recommend.

You, your husband and your dog need to get
some training.

montana is a liar a dog abuser a coward and mental case:

Please help with dog anxiety

On 2007-06-20 02:23:44 -0400,
"Paul E. Schoen" said:

I have not yet tried all of the methods Jerry promotes,
but I intend to do so.They are gentle, non-confrontational,
and certainly cannot do any harm.

This is a serious misrepresentation
of a number of "Jerry's methods."

------------------

SEE?

First, don't let the dog get into a position
where it can run out of the house. If that
means keeping the dog on a leash inside,
so be it.

You can TRAIN your dog not to go HOWET the door
or run HOWETA your yard NEARLY INSTANTLY simply
by DOIN EVERY THING EXXXACTLY PRECISELY
OPPOSITE of HOWE these pathetic miserable stinkin
lyin animal murderin punk thug coward mentally ill
ignorameHOWESES recommend.

LIKE THIS:

From: (misty)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:29:09 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Jerry, why non-physical praise?

Beth wrote:
So, jerry's techniques didnt' work for Peach?

Never had a chance to try them on her... I was still
using the e-fence and chains to keep her in the yard.

The suggestions I received here to keep Peach home
we build a fence... wasn't going to happen.. we
plan on putting a modular home here within the next
few years... put more fence at the top of the pen I used
so both dogs could play bitey face w/o tangling, and
similar suggestions.

Jerry was the only one to mention border training...
but he was kook supreme ;-P So I ignored him... no
killfiles with webtv.. at that time Jerry had his own
troll, somewhat like Candace, so the group was not
very conducive to learning anything.

At one point I even b*tched about Jerry.

By the time I tried out Jerry's manual Peach had
already ran away.

Not very good at the google groups search but you'll
find my first post at "runaway dog message 30" within
that thread is mention of the dogs taking off and being
gone for 2 days.

I stopped posting for a bit... my middle boy was
devastated that his dog was gone... Zelda came
home but not her mom.

The next few posts from me were ones about/to Jerry.

Then Jerry made the WETM accessible for webbes,
I put it in my e-mail (no storage otherwise on webby
unless you put stuff on a webpage) and read it, read
it and read it.

Once I understood what the concept was, I implemented
it on Zelda. It worked and I now have a great housedog!

I only regret that my own distrust of Jerry caused me to
lose another wonderful dog. Peach was an absolute gem with little
kids. I and my boys still miss her. Sometimes
I still look to see if she came home when we get back
from trips.

Maybe Peach would still have ran away...
I don't know and never will....

~misty

---------------

From: "Jerry Howe"
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:16:59 -0500

Peach would be there sittin pretty had our pals not
given you a bum steer cause they're EMBARRASSED
and AFRAID of losing their careers and reputations....

Stick around, we're just startin to have FUN
learning and sharing...J;~)

---------------

"misty" wrote in message news

I don't now whether Peach is dead or alive. I do
know she's not here with us. I really can't blame
anyone here for her loss.

I'm the one who ignored your advice. I did it because
of how you write/wrote. I was unwilling to accept the
idea that my using a shock collar could have any bearing
on Peach not wanting to stay home.

Up until I started using it my main concern
had been keeping my dogs in their own yard.

Once I started using the e-fence... well, then my
concern became how to keep them from running
off for days on end.

I lost valuable training time becoming embroiled
in the anti-shock debate and the "Jerry sux" tirades.

I lost one dog but I have the bestest dog in the world
now g A Wits End Trained dog, one who is completely
housetrained, doesn't chew up stuff, stays in the yard,
and doesn't bark all the time.

IOW a great companion and friend.

Thanks Jerry!

---------------

misty" wrote in message
.

We just installed a PetSafe brand fence this Spring.
Two dogs, two collars We now have one dog and
no collars.

Peach and Zelda would run thru the fence, not want
to come back in the yard and would run for days.

The last time, Peach didn't come back home.

I used the Wit's End Training Manual to learn how
to train my dog. She is now border trained. A few
minutes each day reinforces her desire to stay in the
yard.

She no longer runs out into the road, I can stop her
from chasing cats and she no longer cringes when
we walk around the yard.

I can not say loud or long enough how much I hate
the e-fence and its collars. If you can't get a regular
fence then you need to train your dog.

I will never rely on an electronic collar to
keep my dog in our yard again.

The price was too high:-( ~misty

--------------------------------

"misty" wrote in message
.

Hi Cathy!

Yes I used The Wits End Method to train my girl, Zelda.
You can check the archives and see I'm a real person..

I post in misc.kids.breastfeeding, alt.cats rec.pets.cats.annecdotes
(not lately, my kitty died) rec.pets.dogs.behavior rec.pets.birds
and a ton of webtv firewalled ngs.

Zelda and her mom, Peach (RB) both loved to
run the neighborhood with my neighbors 2 male
dogs. An e-fence couldn't keep them home, chains
pulled up and Peach could jump/climb a 5 ft. fence.

I wrote in here for advice and felt like Jerry had
jumped down my throat. Upon re-reading his
post to me..well..it hit home hard that I was being
abusive to my dog.

The thought of shocking my dog ever again
makes me want to puke.

Like I've said before... I might not like the way Jerry
treats some of the other posters but he gave me ( for _
free_) a way to teach myself and my dog.

I can let Zelda outside and not worry that a potty
break will mean she'll be gone for 2 days or, worse
yet, not ever come home...like her mom.

Zelda stopped chewing everything in sight once
I started applying Jerry's methods. One time of
"bad slipper!" and she never chewed another one
up :-D

I don't post here a lot because I don't ave any
problems needing solved. I do join in occasionally
or post informative lnks. I just feel that my limited
experience precludes me from jumping in every
thread shrug but I do read all of them.

If you want my phone number, e-mail me. We
would have to set up a time because I'm on the
webbie a lot and we only have 1 phone line.

~misty

=============

AND LIKE THIS:

Nevyn writes:

Jerry I cannot even begin to tell you the success Ive
had with your training manual! My two mutts have
gone from out-of-control psychos to obedient well
behaved companions within a matter of weeks! AND
My friends have seen the success and have asked
me to work on their dogs!

I was working with a 5 month old Ridgeback female
today and she was being an angel after like an hour
of working with her! it is AMAZING!!

I pity those fools who take their dogs to classes where
the "Trainers" abuse their dogs! (do they have a degree?
A masters? a Phd? by the way? NO they are average joes
off the street who think they know how to train dogs!)

Once again, Jerry, you are a genius!

NEVYN and my Dogs, Rizzo and Midget, My Grandparents
dogs, Dusty and Snoopy, and my friends pup, Jazz.

================

From: Nevyn )
Subject: radio fence
Date: 2003-11-05 04:17:45 PST

Hi folks,

In my opinion the use of a radioshock fence is a waste of
time, effort or money. I can understand it if you a rich snob
who cares nothing about their dogs safey or behaviours.

At work I boundary train all the dogs to the bricked area
(Four kennels with 26 cages with 1 dog in each, 1 services
building and 2 catterys which is surrounded by scrubland to
the east and woodlands to the north and a lake to the west).

This works well, because then when people buy them the dogs
are easier to boundary train to a door or fence or yard.

However on a personal note, my two shelter mutts, who I
trained using the WITS END DOG MANUAL available at
www.doggydoright.com will not go past the back door, or the
back gate or the front gate without permission.

And it is nice, for when you are having a party, you can leave
your gates open for people, and your dogs won't be the least
concerned.

I find this better then spending your well earned money on a
piece of junk Why not use it to invest in a horse? Or a new
house? Make a nice aquarium? Build a nursery for a child?

Save your money. Train your dog. Please. -- Thankyou,
Nevyn

Nevyn E.D. Veterinary Nurse & Animal Trainer

"You can judge a man's heart by his treatment
of animals"

--------------------------

"Nevyn" wrote in message

HOWEDY Group,

Here some SUCCESS STORIES ive had using JERRY'S MANUAL

1) My dogz, two bitches - Vicious, barking, aggressive, pulled
on leash, wanted to kill any dogs they saw, fought between
each other. TWO WEEKS using Jerry's manual, they were calm,
friends, my companions.

2) ADDED A BEAGLE PUPPY (male) to my "PACK", the
girls had -NO PROBLEMS- with him from the moment I
dropped him by their noses.

3) My FRIENDS dogs 2 MALES barking and jumping
at the fence all night 3 DAYS TRAINING WITH JERRY'S
MANUAL they were CALMED AND HAVEN'T BARKED ONCE!

Added a NEW MALE DOG (2 yrs old) AND
WELCOMED HIM WITH NO WUCKAS !

4) POODLE that ATE food from the KITCHEN BENCH -
lock him in a box? NO! USE JERRYS MANUAL! 4 DAYS
AND HES NEVER DONE IT SINCE!

5) ABUSED DOGS AT THE SHELTER I WORK AT -
HAD TO BE FED WITH A BUCKET ON A STICK -
ONE WEEK ON JERRYS MANUAL, THE SUPERVISOR
TOLD ME TO PUT THEM IN THE PUBLIC KENNELS
FOR SALE !

Quite amazing to - I thought they were just dull coloured
dogs, but after I had removed the fear and anxiety their
hairs coloured up amazingly.

6) STAFFY FEMALE who would NOT DROP HER
BALL! She carried it around all day and night - 3
DAYS on jerrys MANUAL and she now DROPS
it when u ASK her to!

BWHWHAHAHAHAAHA !!!!

Nevyn

___________________________

AND LIKE THIS:

From: Paul B )
Subject: Fence Jumping

Date: 2000-09-29 04:33:37 PST

Been well experienced in dogs escaping from our
yard I know exactly the frustration you are going
through. Sam used to jump over the fence so I
made it higher then we got Roz and she went
under it, through it and climbed over it.

I've decided there are only 2 ways to stop the escaping,
1 is to have an escape proof fence, the other to train the
dogs not to want to escape.

I suppose a third method is to keep them
inside but I don't consider that a solution.

Making the fence escape proof can be almost impossible
if the dog is determined, to stop it climbing over as yours
is doing put an extension on top of the fence that angles
inwards at about 30-45 degrees. Never use chicken wire
as the dogs tear through that like paper.

The only training method to prevent this I can recall is
Jerry's technique, essentially it involves walking around
the perimeter of the fenced area with the dog and using
sound distractions and praise to teach the dog it's boundary.

I have had partial success with it (i.e. I have deterred
Roz from escaping from various points along the fence)
but then again I haven't really followed it through completely.

One last glimmer of hope, as the dog gets older it may
become more settled, Sam never escapes now although
he's quite capable of getting out, he 2.5 years old and
seemed to settle at about 2. So there you are, only 1.5
years of escaping left!!!

Paul.

----------------

SEE?

Second, "scolding" doesn't really communicate
anything to thedog. If you can't correct the dog
the second it does something wrong, you may
as well not bother.

montana means it's O.K. to HURT and INTIMIDATE
your dog if you CATCH HIM IN THE ACT, otherWIZE
a dog AIN'T GOT THE BRAINS to remember WHO
HURT HIM an HOWE COME they HURT and
INTIMDIATED him.

Third, learning how to properly correct
a tiny dog like yours is a really good idea.

THAT'S INSANE. You CANNOT "correct" a dog's
NORMAL NATURAL INNATE INSTINCTIVE
REFLEXIVE BEHAVIORS.

Fourth, the dog sounds like an adorable
handful, so get him some training!

montana wants you to jerk an choke your dog
to teach him RESPECT for your AUTHORITY.

Isn't he too old already for that at 22 months.

Not at all:

"Dan Moore"
wrote in message
.
Tracy,

What worked for me, in just one storm,
was to praise the dog after each clap
of thunder, telling him he's a Good Dog!

This is an almost 13 year old Doberman, BTW.

The next time it thundered, he did not even
react at all--you could not tell it was the same
dog as before.

There was more thunder just the other day,
and same thing, nada, nothing, zilch, no
cowering, whimpering, trying to hide at all,
it was that simple.

I got this idea from Jerry Howe, who might seem
to be a "wild and crazy" character, but his non-
abusive way of handling dogs WORKS.

Wonderfully.

Praise.

It's that simple.

Juanita

-----------------------

Chris Williams writes:

"The FREE Wits' End Dog Training Method manual
I do find valuable. Much of it I recognize as what
I've always done without thinking of it as "training".
New stuff, I've used. His anchoring technique erased
the last of Mac's fireworks trauma,"

Mac was twelve years of age.

So, how do I get him to love me again? I wasn't
crazy about keeping the dog since I lost a chihuahua
/terrier after 14 years; but when I got thisdog, his
previous owner had fed him so much he weighs 10
lbs....when he should weigh 6 lbs! I just can't give
him back.

He doesn't run out of the house, rather, we've trusted
him to stay unleashed by our side. I think from now
on, your suggestion is great, and I will leash him to
my belt loop as he loves to follow us around outside.

You can't force your dog to LOVE you by tying IT to
your belt, that'll teach him to FEAR and HATE you.

Subject: Please help with dog anxiety

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in
message ...

There are many schools of thought and recommendations
that will be presented to you here. I accepted the offer of
traditional dog obedience training from Janet Boss, as
urged as well from many others who are regulars here,
and it resulted in near tragedy.

My dog Muttley, at that time being offered for rehoming,
reacted strongly against the forceful methods I was being
taught, and caused injury to another student's dog.

The story is in the archives starting about a year ago,
and some of it is also preserved in my "Muttley Story",
which you can find on my website: www.peschoen.com.

For a long time I discounted the advice given by Jerry
Howe, especially as he chose to use verbal abuse directed
at me, and even more to others, but this is because he is
frustrated by those who belittle his methods and continue
to subject their dogs to unnecessary force and harshness.

My dog Muttley had, and still has, some behavioral
problems, but I have learned that he responds best to
gentle methods and unconditional love.

For a long time I was unable to trust him alone in my
house, and I had to leave him tied up outside. He would
have been even more miserable if confined to a cage, crate,
or kennel.

Eventually we developed a mutual trust, so that now
I can leave him with free run of the house for 8, 10,
even 12 hours, and be just about 99.7% certain that
he will not get into any mischief while I am away.

When I come home, he either eagerly greets me at
the door, or I hear him jump off the bed where he
has been sleeping quietly all day.

I have not yet tried all of the methods Jerry promotes,
but I intend to do so. They are gentle, non-confrontational,
and certainly cannot do any harm.

As a corollary to Occam's Razor, the simplest and
least harmful solution to a problem is the correct one.

I am very satisfied with Muttley's disposition and he
has even been commended on his good behavior on
several instances recently. I am not greatly concerned
that he will not always heel properly, or obey commands
perfectly. He, as most dogs, is eager to please, and I am
glad that he can still think for himself.

On a couple of occasions, when I slipped and fell while
walking him, he came right to me and sat by my side
while I got up. When I sneeze, he comes to me with great
concern until I assure him I am OK.

Please read what Jerry has written. I have provided a
link to a single plain text version of his manual for easy
downloading and reading: www.smart.net/~pstech/HoweManual.txt.

I sincerely hope you have success with your dog, so
that you can have confidence in her, as she should
have in you. I am very happy with the way Muttley
has turned out.

He was a rescue and had probably been abused. I was
counseled to have him euthanized unless I would spend
$500 to $1000 or more for intensive behavior modification
and training. But all he really needed was a trusting
relationship and lots of love.

Paul and Muttley

Old June 23rd 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Hornings wrote:
[...]

I once had a short-haired chihuahua who got her foot caught in a
piece of my clothing when she was trying to jump off my lap;
after I got her loose, she ran and hid under the bed for a couple
of hours, and shunned me for several days. I won her heart back
with chicken morsels, but it took patience.

I was living alone at the time, so she had no one else to turn
to. I'd suggest that you have your husband ignore him for now
and make you the source of all good things, especially food.
Don't try to force him on your lap or bed; just use food to
reward him for coming closer and closer to you. Be patient, and
don't rush him or give up in frustration. Meanwhile, don't yell
at him, and never swat him. Some dogs are really sensitive.

22 months is certainly not too young to teach him how not to run
out the door - or any other behavior, for that matter. You and
he would likely benefit from some instruction from a trainer.

FurPaw

--
The Bush legacy - no child left a dime.

To reply, unleash the dog.