Molly Goes For a Swim

Old June 23rd 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

Default Molly Goes For a Swim

Molly has been standing on the top step of the pool and drinking the
water since shortly after, the pool was done. She does it even more
lately because the temperature is in the hundreds. Today, we were out
swimming and Molly was joining in the fun from the top step of the pool
and then the spa and then back and forth some more, grinning like an
idiot the whole time. We tried to talk her into taking another step down
to the reef step because it is nice and wide so she could hang out there
better. She got brave enough to try and realized she was only about
chest deep so not scary but very refreshing. Bonus points for being able
to be even more in the middle of the kids' play than from the top step.

Next step for the kids was to try to get Molly to swim with them. I
think she actually thought she could step onto another step without going
in past where her feet would reach. She went out, swam back to the steps
and climbed out right away with a shocked expression on her face. But as
soon as she was out, she pranced around the pool with a big grin on her
face like she was all that, the big brave swimming dog. It didn't hurt
that all the kids were telling her what a good girl she was. She's
always been the kind of dog who thrives on being a good girl.

When we all went inside, she wanted to stay out. Since she was still
damp, that was okay with me. When I looked out the window to see how she
was doing, I noticed she was going in and out of the pool. Down a step
or two, peering intently in the water to figure out what happened there,
back out and then in to start the whole investigation again. I think she
figures that if mere children can stand in the pool with their heads
above the water, she's sure she can, too. She just has to figure out the
system. Good thing she has the pool to cool off in or she'd overheat
from all the rapidly spinning gears in her head, poor thing!

Sammie still stays well away from the pool. He was shocked to find that
when he tried to see what was so exciting for the kids in there, water
actually jumped out of the pool to attack him. He's never trusted the
thing since.

Paula
Old June 24th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Opinicus

"Terri" wrote in message

Let me know if you ever convince Molly to enjoy swimming for the
sake of pure swimming.

I must have missed the beginning of this thread? Balim (English cocker
spaniel, will be 1 yo in August) has been showing an interest in the pool
but I'm entirely enthusiastic about the idea. Is it safe? (For the dog.) Are
others on the NG allowing this?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Old June 24th 07, 11:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Opinicus

"Opinicus" wrote

but I'm entirely enthusiastic about the idea. Is it safe? (For the dog.)
Are others on the NG allowing this?

Sorry that should have been "but I'm not entirely" etc. Temp just hit 40 C
(104 F). Time to turn the AC on.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Old June 24th 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Paula" wrote in message
9.11...
[...]

====================
I don't allow my dog to drink from the pool, because of all the chemicals in
the water. I would not think that pool water would be safe to drink.

Old June 24th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Terri" wrote in message
"pfoley" wrote in
k.net:

I don't allow my dog to drink from the pool, because of all the
chemicals in the water. I would not think that pool water would be safe
to drink.

Common sense would indicate if it's not going to harm humans, who
invariably are going to ingest some swimming pool water, that it's
not going to harm dogs. My city water has chemicals, including
chlorine strong enough for me to smell, in it as well. That's what
Carmine drinks from both his water bowl and the toilet and I haven't
seen any signs that it's hurting him.
I'd be far more inclined to worry about him drinking from local
stream or river water that can contain giardia than a swimming pool.

Several cites tend to back that up as well including this blurb from
Wiki:

"Your swimming pool water and your tap water are extremely close in
chemicals used. The tap water in your area is treated the same way your
swimming pool is.Chlorine .5 to 3.0 with a ph somewhere between 7.0 and
8.0 with the exception of Alkalinity which bounces around throughout the
year.The salt content in a swimming pool is 3000ppm salt to water which
has less salt than your body.None of which can or will hurt your Dog."

=========
I don't think I would want to drink out my pool. I know how many different
types of chemicals we put into it. Common sense would tell me not to drink
the pool water.

Old June 24th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
pfoley wrote:
I don't think I would want to drink out my pool. I know how many different
types of chemicals we put into it. Common sense would tell me not to drink
the pool water.

Terri provides citations and specific information, and you
answer with *that*? Why do you think your answer is in,
fact, an answer? Which chemicals are you worried about, and
do you know in what concentration they appear in pool water?

BTW, true or false: water is a chemical

Old June 25th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
bethgsd

"Terri" wrote in message
Cool story!

Let me know if you ever convince Molly to enjoy swimming for the
sake of pure swimming.
I never did get any of the 4 Sheps to actually enjoy it.
The boys all stopped just shy of male business submersion. Darcy
would go swimming but _only_ with the intent of bringing something
back that had been thrown for her.

Mine have been the opposite of your four. Out of my five only one has not
been a natural swimmer. And of course it is the dog that needed to swim to
help recover from his cruciate surgeries! Now Trip will swim enough to get
a tennis ball or a bumper, but to just swim of the heck of it, no way! Even
Halle, the wire fox, learned to enjoy swimming.

Beth

Old June 25th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

Paula wrote in
9.11:

I think she
figures that if mere children can stand in the pool with their heads
above the water, she's sure she can, too. She just has to figure out
the system. Good thing she has the pool to cool off in or she'd
overheat from all the rapidly spinning gears in her head, poor thing!

This whole thing is too funny! She will be swimming like a fish in no
time.

Zoe's first swim happened suddenly when she chased a duck and went flying
into the water. She came up doggy-paddling and, like Molly, looking very
pleased with herself when she got out. I said "you didn't know you could
do that, did you???" The duck escaped unscathed.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old June 26th 07, 06:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

Terri wrote in :

Some folks with pools don't like the dog to swim in it
due to the amount of hair that gets in the filter.

I wouldn't want the sheps in the pool when blowing coat for that reason,
but it's not too bad now. I don't mind checking and cleaning the filter
more often if Molly likes to cool down in the pool. I would be concerned
about dogs not knowing how to get out. I would not have my dog out there
without knowing that it is one that can find the way out. When one of our
fosters fell into our pool at our old house, we had to call from the side
where the steps were to get her to figure out what to do. I was in the
pool and ready to go lead her by the collar if I had to, but calling her to
me while at the steps worked so I didn't have to. Molly knows where to go
to get out. I still don't leave her out there unattended. When we left
her out there the other day, I could see her out the window while sitting
at the kitchen table and we could hear the splashing if she had been in
trouble even if I hadn't been looking out the window at the time.

Paula
Old June 26th 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

Rocky wrote in
:

Or the bleaching effect of chlorine. No pool here, so that was
just hearsay.

I can't do chlorine any more because of skin sensitivities. We have a salt
system in our pool. LOVE it!!! Apparently, so does Molly, though I'm sure
she would look stunning as a blonde.

Paula

Looking for help for our Molly Molly's Mom Dog health 5 June 4th 07 03:57 PM
A Molly upadate [email protected] Dog behavior 1 October 12th 06 10:20 PM
Is there a list of miniature dogs that like to swim? mike roberts Dog breeds 4 August 28th 06 06:03 PM
Can Pugs swim? Dana P Dog behavior 0 March 23rd 05 04:31 AM
Silent Tribute to Molly Gwen Watson Dog behavior 1 December 8th 04 03:00 PM