Has anyone tried Slentrol?

Old June 23rd 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynn Gerber

Default Has anyone tried Slentrol?

We have 2 Shih Tzu's. Peanut (male) and Petunia (female). They have both
been neutered/spayed and both are about 4 years old (not litter-mates).

Peanut is smaller than Petunia in more ways than one. They both seem
otherwise healthy, but Petunia is obese and Peanut is rather skinny.
Petunia has gradually gained weight since being spayed (about 2 years ago).
We feed them dry food. They usually have a walk of about 1-1.5 miles/day.
They spend a lot of time outside and keep themselves entertained by playing
(fighting), etc.

I was wondering if Petunia would be a good candidate for Slentrol. See:

www.pfizerah.com/slentrol/

I doubt that Petunia has a thyroid condition, but I guess it is possible.

I guess my question goes back to the subject line. Has anyone used Slentrol
on their dog? Would they recommend its use?

Thanks,

LG

Old June 23rd 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore

In article ,
Lynn Gerber wrote:
Would they recommend its use?

Not without first trying to get rid of the weight by cutting
back on food and increasing exercise. If you're not
comfortable reducing the amount you're feeding (and it's
hard to imagine why you wouldn't be), try switching to a
lower-calorie food.

Old June 23rd 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

Lynn Gerber wrote:

We have 2 Shih Tzu's. Peanut (male) and Petunia (female). They have both
been neutered/spayed and both are about 4 years old (not litter-mates).

Peanut is smaller than Petunia in more ways than one. They both seem
otherwise healthy, but Petunia is obese and Peanut is rather skinny.
Petunia has gradually gained weight since being spayed (about 2 years ago).
We feed them dry food. They usually have a walk of about 1-1.5 miles/day.
They spend a lot of time outside and keep themselves entertained by playing
(fighting), etc.

I was wondering if Petunia would be a good candidate for Slentrol. See:

www.pfizerah.com/slentrol/

I doubt that Petunia has a thyroid condition, but I guess it is possible.

I guess my question goes back to the subject line. Has anyone used Slentrol
on their dog? Would they recommend its use?

First I'd make a vet's appointment and make sure the dog is healthy. No
thyroid issues, etc.

After that it's up to you. If Petunia is fat it's because you're
feeding her too much. It's not like she can drive herself up to Taco Bell.

If you're free feeding, stop. Both dogs should be fed measured amounts,
probably twice a day, while supervised. If Petunia seems hungry add
veggies and fruit to her diet. Green beans, pumpkin, carrots, apples,
bananas, pretty much anything but onions or grapes/raisins to help her
feel full without adding a ton of calories.

Food does not equal love. When she's giving you the starving puppy
stare, remember that keeping her slim will add both quantity and quality
to her lifespan.

Old June 24th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynn Gerber

Kathleen wrote:

First I'd make a vet's appointment and make sure the dog is healthy. No
thyroid issues, etc.

After that it's up to you. If Petunia is fat it's because you're feeding
her too much. It's not like she can drive herself up to Taco Bell.

If you're free feeding, stop. Both dogs should be fed measured amounts,
probably twice a day, while supervised. If Petunia seems hungry add
veggies and fruit to her diet. Green beans, pumpkin, carrots, apples,
bananas, pretty much anything but onions or grapes/raisins to help her
feel full without adding a ton of calories.

Food does not equal love. When she's giving you the starving puppy stare,
remember that keeping her slim will add both quantity and quality to her
lifespan.

Good advice. Our dogs have never been on much of a schedule as far as
eating goes. Peanut seems to eat as much or more than Petunia, but that's
probably a perception without much evidence.

Supervised feeding, a new concept for us and our dogs, but it would probably
be worth the effort (and I'm sure it would be cheaper than a recently
released drug, lol).

Thanks

Old June 24th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore

In article ,
Lynn Gerber wrote:
Good advice. Our dogs have never been on much of a schedule as far as
eating goes. Peanut seems to eat as much or more than Petunia, but that's
probably a perception without much evidence.

It may be that she eats more - there are differences in
metabolism, differences you might not notice in activity
level, and so on. The dog's condition is what should guide
you in making decisions about how much to feed. The
recommendation on the side of the bag is a starting point,
and if the dog gets thin feed more and if the dog gets fat
feed less, etc.

I'm not on principle opposed to weight control drugs but I
think they really should be a last resort, not the first
thing you try.

Old June 24th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Lynn Gerber" wrote in message
.. Has anyone used Slentrol
on their dog? Would they recommend its use?

..........in a word NO! I don't believe in feeding the pharma industry when
they've given us so many bad drugs without proper research. May this
boondoggle go the way of the giardia vaccine...........out the door. Proper
vet care and modification of human behavior is a lot more effective than a
"fat" pill for dogs......what a concept.