Speaking of Food: Evo Review

Old June 25th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
shelly

Default Speaking of Food: Evo Review

It's been almost two months since I switched Harriet to Evo. She
finished the first bag last Friday, so it looks like 26lbs will last
about two months. That retroactively lessens the sticker shock--$23
a month for dog food doesn't seem bad at *all*.

Anyway, she is doing quite well on it, I think. I had been feeding
her just under 2C/day of Euk Premium Performance. She's been eating
1.5C/day of Evo (1/2 C 3x/day). And, I usually short one meal
slightly.

The initial stinkies resolved themselves within a few days (she was
switched cold turkey, which may or may not have contributed to the
problem). Stools are excellent. Mostly, I am thrilled that the
weird body odor she developed on Iams and Euk has completely
disappeared. She was needing a bath every 3-4 weeks. Her last bath
was in early April, and she has zero odor. She has never been truly
stinky[1], but she's also never been able to go this long without a
bath.

She also seems a bit leaner (this is a dog that a pound either way
is *very* visible on), and has better muscle definition, but that
could have nothing to do with the food. I was curious to see
whether or not the food would make her energy level increase (other
people have commented/complained that their dogs got a little nutty
on it). It hasn't.

[1] I don't know how to describe the odor she had on Iams/Euk. It
wasn't strong, but I'm sensitive to smells, and it *really* bothered me.

--
Shelly
Old June 25th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Melinda Shore

In article ,
Shelly wrote:
It's been almost two months since I switched Harriet to Evo. She
finished the first bag last Friday, so it looks like 26lbs will last
about two months. That retroactively lessens the sticker shock--$23
a month for dog food doesn't seem bad at *all*.

In terms of the kind of dent it puts in your wallet that's
not bad. But, I've finally done the arithmetic and feeding
Eagle Pack Holistic Select runs me about $15.50 per month
per dog. However, Siberians have a reputation as easy
keepers and mine are (~2 cups/day when they're not working).

I was curious to see
whether or not the food would make her energy level increase (other
people have commented/complained that their dogs got a little nutty
on it). It hasn't.

I gave it a try in late spring/early summer when the dogs
were only a few weeks into their idle period and before it
got hot, and I'm sure that that had something to do with
it. The worst was that it expressed itself as scrappiness,
but it went away when I switched to a lower density feed.

Old June 25th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Shelly" wrote in message
[...]

===============
That doesn't seem like very much food for a large dog; how big is she? My
Rottweiler gets
1-1/2 cups Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice dry food twice a day with a
little meat at each feeding. She is not the least bit overweight. She
usually weighs between 87 lbs. and 89 lbs. Her coat is shiny and she never
has any odor. I only have to have her bathed twice a year in February and
August.

Old June 25th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Melinda Shore

In article ,
pfoley wrote:
Rottweiler gets
1-1/2 cups Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice dry food twice a day with a
little meat at each feeding.

Obviously that LURVE you throw in is nothing but filler. Be
that as it may:

Innova Evo: 537 kCals/cup
Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice: 342 kCals/cup

Old June 25th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

"pfoley" wrote in
.net:

That doesn't seem like very much food for a large dog; how big is
she?

Boxers are not large dogs.

My Rottweiler gets
1-1/2 cups Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice dry food twice a day
with a little meat at each feeding.

Nutro is not as nutritionally dense as Evo. The dogs' respective
activity levels should also be taken into account when comparing how
much of which foods they eat.

--
Shelly

To the uneducated, an A is just three sticks.
-- A.A. Milne
Old June 25th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

(Melinda Shore) wrote in
:

Obviously that LURVE you throw in is nothing but filler. Be
that as it may:

Innova Evo: 537 kCals/cup
Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice: 342 kCals/cup

There ya' go. I don't need to add "love" to my dog's food, because
Evo already contains plenty of it.

--
Shelly

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with
potatoes.
-- Douglas Adams
Old June 25th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Rocky wrote in
:

Yup, strange how different foods can be different, eh?

No way!

Even the California Natural I feed (with grain in it) is 511
kCal/cup.

I noticed that back when I was doing the headless chicken "what am I
going to feed my dog" dance. That's partially what made me go with
Evo. I figured it wasn't *that* dense, considering that Harriet had
been on CalNat and done fine.

Very active Friday eats about 1.5 cups a day, and
even though, at 40 pounds, he's probably way less than half the
weight of pfoley's Rottweiler, he probably burns twice the
calories.

I'd say that's a safe guesstimate.

--
Shelly

I try to apply colors like words that shape poems, like notes that
shape music.
-- Joan Miro
Old June 25th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Shelly" wrote in message:

Nutro is not as nutritionally dense as Evo. The dogs' respective
activity levels should also be taken into account when comparing how
much of which foods they eat.

It's really difficult to find a dog food that is on the lower calorie end of
the spectrum, and is still not crapinabag. After finding out that Solid
Gold foods are actually manufactured by Diamond, I really was thinking about
switching, but recalling what happened when I did the research for the
switch from Canidae made my head hurt, so it's been put on the back burner.

The Nutro and Solid Gold are roughly in the same ballpark, calorie wise, and
Pfoley's Rottie and Khan are in the same ballpark, weight wise, but Khan
gets less than half what Pfoley's dog gets, food-wise, at 2/3 cups of Solid
Gold WolfKing, 2x a day.

Suja

Old June 26th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article ,
pfoley wrote:

Rottweiler gets
1-1/2 cups Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice dry food twice a day with a
little meat at each feeding.

Obviously that LURVE you throw in is nothing but filler. Be
that as it may:

Innova Evo: 537 kCals/cup
Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice: 342 kCals/cup

I've been feeding the Evo for a couple of months now. After the initial
gassiness, both the dobes are doing very well. Viva's coat has improved,
Cala's coat was always good and is still mirror bright. Both have good
energy. I feed each of them 2 cups per day (was feeding 3C of the Euk PP).

Zipper has been interesting. The food has affected him more than either
of the girls. His coat is still good, but the amount I feed had to
decrease sharply from the Euk. I was feeding 2/3 cup 2 x day, so a total
of 1 1/3 C per day. And he was thin. After switching, he immediately
began gaining weight. Almost too much. I have now cut him down to 1/2 C
in the morning and about a tablespoon of food at night, or no supper if
we're training. Zipper has also put on a lot of muscle. Part of it, I
think, is that he's finally physically maturing out. He's gone from
lanky to cobby, and from being very picky about his food to eating
really, really well. Of course now that he gets so little it means more,
so I'm not sure if that's flavor or quantity.

Zipper, 1 year (Sept 2006), being fed Euk, taking his 2nd major in 2 days:
http://www.totalminpin.net/images/zi...ajor_thurs.jpg

Zipper, 18 months March 2007, on Evo, finishing
http://www.totalminpin.net/images/zi...pperchweb1.jpg

Zipper now weighs probably 3-4 oz more than the 2nd picture. I love his
coat texture, but he's lightened up quite a bit, which I don't like as
much. But part of that could also be age--I think the stag/sable dogs
tend to lighten up with age.

Evo: Early Instant Review Shelly Dog behavior 7 April 28th 07 01:40 AM
Dog Toy Review Site [email protected] Dog behavior 0 February 11th 07 03:11 AM
Speaking Dog Leah Dog behavior 3 September 22nd 03 05:16 AM
Speaking Dog Leah Dog behavior 0 September 21st 03 02:33 AM
Speaking Dog Leah Dog behavior 0 September 21st 03 02:33 AM