Skin Condition

Old June 25th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Cartrivision1

Default Skin Condition

Hi, my 11 year old female dachshund came down with a skin condition
lately. First thing I noticed a couple weeks back were small bumps,
not many, but they felt like maybe acne or just small zits if that is
possible. She also had a thing where her fur seemed raised in places,
but this seemed contained to one side.

Today I was outside with her and noticed she had what seemed like
dandruff or flakes of skin. It was all over and I tried to comb it
out and she seemed to be shedding a lot of fur also. The area around
her collar seemed bad like she had lost a bit of fur there and her
skin seemed kind of irritated.

I just assumed that she had some kind of skin condition and made a
note to myself to get her some medicated shampoo. But then I started
reading that this might be a symptom of Cushings Syndrome. She was
actually tested for Cushings a year or so ago but the vet said she was
negative but near the borderline. I was glad because the tests were
so expensive and the vet said that the medicine was not guaranteed to
work and that tests would have to be ongoing at like $250 a pop.

She does not have any symptoms of Cushings like excessive thirst, but
she does seemed to have gained weight and her belly does sag a little,
but I do not know if that is just due to a bit of overfeeding. She is
still as playful as always and does not seem to be lethargic. Should
I be worried or feel I have to take her to the vet right away?

thanks,
Luke

Old June 25th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

She does not have any symptoms of Cushings like excessive thirst, but
she does seemed to have gained weight and her belly does sag a little,
but I do not know if that is just due to a bit of overfeeding. She is
still as playful as always and does not seem to be lethargic. Should
I be worried or feel I have to take her to the vet right away?

A phone call wouldn't hurt. I can't speak for other practices, but we would
find room for you within the next couple days - same day if you thought it
was emergent.

-Sharon

Old June 27th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Cartrivision1

On Jun 25, 3:38 pm, "Sharon Too"
wrote:

I took her to the vet today. The vet said she was likely just
gettting over an allergic reaction and that he was not worried. Sent
me home with some medicated shampoo. It was worth the visit just to
rule out some other problem that she could have been having. Anytime
I leave the vet with only a $50 bill it is a good visit indeed!

Luke