Question About Euthanasia - Not For Faint of Heart

Old June 27th 07, 07:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
anonimy

Default Question About Euthanasia - Not For Faint of Heart

I need to put my beloved Conan (the Barbarian) out of his misery. (120 lb
large labrador) I don't have access to a vet, so I am digging a hole for
him in the back on my property.

If I were to use a firearm, with a bullet through the brain, which would be
best-- a .22 rifle or .38 pistol (revolver)?

I am truly sorry for the question; I'm trying for it to be as quick and
painless as possible.

Old June 27th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Dan S.

anonimy used his keyboard to write :
I need to put my beloved Conan (the Barbarian) out of his misery. (120 lb
large labrador) I don't have access to a vet, so I am digging a hole for
him in the back on my property.

If I were to use a firearm, with a bullet through the brain, which would be
best-- a .22 rifle or .38 pistol (revolver)?

I am truly sorry for the question; I'm trying for it to be as quick and
painless as possible.

Dogs aren't horses. A couple of years back, I told my mom she should
put her dog down because of its bad hips and difficulty getting around.
That's not her only problem. She has bumps growing about her head and
we thought the were cancer. You can hardly pet her for the severe
arthritis, also. However, she has continued to live some happy years.
She still shows a great amount of joy when kids come to play in the
backyard with her, and she still greets you happily when you go to pet
her. I admit that I was wrong to want to see her put down.

If you are truly a dog lover, then you don't make these decisions
lightly, but I hope you'll at least consider that the dog may still
find some joy in life.

--

Yours,
Dan S.

When it seems like the world has taken everything from you, you just
might find that God was preparing you to begin giving.

Old June 27th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
probe1957

"anonimy" wrote in message
. net...
I need to put my beloved Conan (the Barbarian) out of his misery. (120 lb
large labrador) I don't have access to a vet, so I am digging a hole for
him in the back on my property.

If I were to use a firearm, with a bullet through the brain, which would
be best-- a .22 rifle or .38 pistol (revolver)?

I am truly sorry for the question; I'm trying for it to be as quick and
painless as possible.

I smell a troll.

Old June 27th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
diddy

in thread t:
"probe1957" whittled the following words:

"anonimy" wrote in message
. net...
I need to put my beloved Conan (the Barbarian) out of his misery.
(120 lb large labrador) I don't have access to a vet, so I am
digging a hole for him in the back on my property.

If I were to use a firearm, with a bullet through the brain, which
would be best-- a .22 rifle or .38 pistol (revolver)?

I am truly sorry for the question; I'm trying for it to be as quick
and painless as possible.

I smell a troll.

Only if you are willing to be trolled. Using firearms is not the most
palatable way to put a dog down, but sometimes it IS the most humane. For
instance. I live 10 miles from a vet not an unreasonable distance for
routine care.

But one day, I was outside the fence in the company of my dog, when the
phone rang inside the house. I ran in the door, and it was my dad. I said,
"Dad, the dog did not come in with me, I'll call you back"
Not aware that my dog had crossed the road to visit the children getting
off the school bus across the street, I assumed her to be in her usual
haunts, out in the back pasture or barns. I called her to come, and called
her directly into the path of a speeding car. She got hit directly on the
license plate and was thrown about 30 yards.
I knew exaclty what had happened, when I heard the sickening thud, and her
screams.
I rushed to her, and saw the blood streaming from her ears and nose. her
mangled little body irreparable. I knew she was going to die. She quit
screaming when I went to her side. I went to move her, and she started
screaming even louder. I knew moving her was only causing her greater
agony. She was in enough, and the outcome was not going to be any better.
I decided to not put her through any more, and I left her screaming, went
in the house, got the handgun, and returned. I gave her a tearful hug and
apology. And I did the hardest thing I've ever done in my whole life. I
took her pain, and made it my own. She immediately slumped and went limp,
and was silent. Quick. Taking her to the vet was the poorer alternative.

in later years, I released a dog from the pound. She was dumped for biting.
Knowing that most of the time, a dog that bites is the child's fault, I
brought her home to see if she was salvageable in a childless home. She at
least deserved an evaluation. She seemed fine, then the following day,
with no provocation, she lunged for my throat. This was an unprovoked
attack, and I knew there was probably something physically wrong with the
dog (perhaps a brain tumor?) and regardless, she was a HUGE liability risk,
and I could never place her. So I took her to the vet for euthanasia. The
vet kept sticking her for 15 minutes, and it was the ugliest screaming
death I ever witnessed.... until I had my old 18 year old companion
diagnosed with systemic organ failure. Her old body wore out. I took her to
the vet. Apparently poor circulation caused her not to use the euthanasia
shot properly. The vet kept giving her one shot after another, and she dies
a slow agonizing death, screaming, and looking at me in betrayal and
dismay. I wanted to grab her from the vet, and take her home, and shoot
her. It would have been over faster.

Then I took Danny in for Euthanasia. The best dog I've ever had. The vet
stuck him, and he went down HARD, screaming. He screamed for about 10
minutes. If a vet was going to get a dog right, this one he HAD to, and he
didn't. I was furious. I'm forever sorry I took him to the vet, but the
violence of shooting him was just unnacceptable to me.

These are THREE different vets.

I've witnessed hundreds of vet euthanasias that went uneventfully. But
those THREE failures stick forever in my mind. Two on dogs very near and
dear to me.

If I could accept the violence and had the fortitude to do the job myself,
those dogs would have never needlessly suffered. A bullet properly placed
is quick and final.

Perhaps the OP has had not so good experiences, and just wants to be sure
the job is done right. I don't necessarily consider them a troll (however I
strongly suspect that they are, and if they have to ask what caliber to
use, they probably are not a good enough shot that they should attempt
this)
Old June 27th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc

I wonder why you can't invite a vet to administer the euthanasia. As
for the firearms... there is never a sure way, we all know stories of
people who lived even after being shot through the head, so I suppose
whichever weapon you use you ought to be prepared to fire multiple
shots.

I haven't had much practive with handguns but I would guess at close
range a .38 revolver is a more powerful weapon than a .22 rifle.

heart Ann Conte Dog health 0 August 11th 06 08:22 PM
China's Animal Torture (CAUTION: Not for the faint-hearted) Handsome Jack Morrison Dog behavior 0 April 26th 06 01:57 PM
euthanasia question [email protected] Dog behavior 8 May 4th 05 03:57 AM
Question on "Heart Failure" and "Fatal Seizure" NRushing1969 Dog health 2 December 25th 04 01:39 PM