Deer/dog buddies

Old June 27th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Richard Evans

Default Deer/dog buddies

I live in a heavily wooded suburb. The house sits in a clearing in the
middle of two acres of woods. I have two dogs who have access to a
small fenced yard and I have a herd of whitetail deer who live in the
surrounding woods.

A couple of days ago I looked out the window and saw a doe hanging out
in the yard near the dog fence. She wandered over and put her nose to
the fence, at which point one of the dogs came running and barking at
her. She backed up a few steps, then returned to the fence, They stood
nose to nose for a moment, then took off running on their respective
sides of the fence. At this point, I figured she was running from the
dog and when she hit the end of the fence would continue on into the
woods. Instead, she turned around and the two of them raced back to
where they started from. She then calmly turned and walked into the
woods.

She's been back every day since and they go through some variation of
this routine. The older dog pays no attention to her, but the younger
one seems to be playing with her and she with him.

Ever seen anything like this?

Old June 27th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy

in thread : Richard Evans
whittled the following words:

[...]

She's apparently never encountered coyotes. In my experience, deer are VERY
curious unless they have been hurt by something once. This story is one of
the amazing magic of mother nature. Enjoy! and thanks for sharing
Old June 28th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
diddy wrote:

Enjoy!

and take pictures!

--
Janet Boss
Old June 28th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Janet Boss wrote:
In article ,
diddy wrote:

Enjoy!

and take pictures!

I'm pretty sure there's a spot on YouTube just waiting for the video!

No, never heard of a deer-dog partnership, but there are numerous
documented partnerships between animals that are usually thought
of as "enemies." Precious and rare, but they do exist.

Here are a couple I just found with a quick google on
"interspecies interaction"
http://www.digyourowngrave.com/crazy-animal-adoptions/
http://www.project-me.com/interspeci...nds/index.html

FurPaw

--
The Bush legacy - no child left a dime.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old June 28th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Richard Evans

diddy wrote:

She's apparently never encountered coyotes. In my experience, deer are VERY
curious unless they have been hurt by something once. This story is one of
the amazing magic of mother nature. Enjoy! and thanks for sharing

I don't think we have coyotes in residential North Carolina. The deer
live pretty sheltered lives. They can't be hunted in the residential
areas and there are virtually no predators. Domestic dogs aren't
allowed to run free.

Old June 28th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Richard Evans

Janet Boss wrote:

In article ,
diddy wrote:

Enjoy!

and take pictures!

I wish I could. I don't have a clear vantage point, besides which my
digital camera won't focus through the glass of the window.
Old June 28th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
[...]

===============
You should try to capture that on video; that must be something to see. We
have white tail deer around us also. One day I was walking my Rotty in the
forest, and when we came upon a field there was a young deer by itself in
the field. Usually, they are in herds. My dog ran after the young deer,
but the young deer didn't run very far away, it only ran a short distance
and then stopped and then circled around and back towards me. When it saw
me; then it took off. I thought it was funny that it just didn't take off
when it saw the dog.

Old June 28th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Richard Evans

"pfoley" wrote:

You should try to capture that on video; that must be something to see. We
have white tail deer around us also. One day I was walking my Rotty in the
forest, and when we came upon a field there was a young deer by itself in
the field. Usually, they are in herds. My dog ran after the young deer,
but the young deer didn't run very far away, it only ran a short distance
and then stopped and then circled around and back towards me. When it saw
me; then it took off. I thought it was funny that it just didn't take off
when it saw the dog.

That's part of the problem getting this on tape. She's more sensitive
to me than to the dog. If she sees me move inside the window she
spooks and won't hold still at all for me getting close enough to take
pictures.

Old June 28th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

It's amazing what and who they will befriend if they are treated decent. My
fiancee works for a state prison and the lands around the prison are
protected with no hunting so there are lots of deer that stay on the
property because no one bothers them.

The guys on the fence patrol have the deer so used to them that they know
when the cars stop that there is a hand out for them. They will walk right
up to the window to get apples, pears, bread or what ever else the guys
bring in for them. The shame of it is no cameras are allowed on the
property so no one gets to see this other than the gaurds.

Celeste

Old June 28th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"pfoley" wrote:

[...]

I recently spooked a young doe hiding in a rough woodpile while I was
mowing the meadow on top of my hill. I didn't think there was space enough
for an animal of that size, and it took a second for me to identify what it
was as she jumped up and took off for the woods. I often see and hear deer
near the house, and I'm sure that is what sometimes drives Muttley crazy.
He will sometimes catch wind of, or maybe see or hear, something, and he
will pull and whine to give chase. Often even I, olfactorily challenged as
I am, catch the distinctive scent of deer. I noticed it especially when
Muttley had found and mostly ate a hind quarter of a deer, and the freshly
crunched bones had the same odor. There is also the remains of a deer
carcass by the stream on the trail we take for walks.

I think I saw a picture of a dog with a deer. I think it was a female dog
that was actually nursing it. I have a picture of an Anatolian with a small
cat as well as a Leopard (or similar big cat). Most critters get along when
they are babies. Instincts kick in when they mature.

Paul and Muttley

Help! Our Shepherd Keeps Killing Deer Jim Pflaum Dog behavior 34 March 6th 08 09:27 PM
Deer or Dog? shelly Dog behavior 207 September 19th 06 04:36 PM
Deer poo dangerous to dogs? Merry Darr Dog behavior 28 October 12th 03 08:50 PM
Deer poo dangerous to dogs? Merry Darr Dog behavior 0 October 12th 03 02:52 AM