spay question

Old June 28th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default spay question

We have a lab puppy. Our vet advised us to allow her to go through one
heat cycle before getting her spayed. The vet said that this reduces
the chance that she'll become incontinent (common in female labs) and
it also seems to reduce the risk of her developing some skin problems.

Others I've talked to say their dog still has incontinence, even
though they waited through a heat cycle to spay. One even said, their
dog became anti-social after they spayed her.

I am of two minds and seeking a preponderance of advice on one side or
the other of the debate.

I appreciate any input.
Many thanks for your time.

Old June 28th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

wrote in message:

We have a lab puppy. Our vet advised us to allow her to go through one
heat cycle before getting her spayed. The vet said that this reduces
the chance that she'll become incontinent (common in female labs) and
it also seems to reduce the risk of her developing some skin problems.

Personally, I think that this is bad advice. There is a chance that any dog
could become incontinent over time. Like Janet, I have a male dog that is
incontinent (late neuter, in case that matters), and it really is no big
deal as it is controlled with medication.

Pan, my female Dane went through a heat cycle prior to being spayed (she was
a friend's dog then). When she went into heat, a couple of her nipples
became abnormally engorged, and the vet said that it's something we need to
keep an eye on for the rest of her life, as she is at higher risk of
developing mammary cancer (off the top of my head, the risk to a bitch
spayed prior to going into heat is 0.05%, while it is 8% after the first
heat and 25% after the second heat). She also had to be spayed as soon as
was practically possible after she came out of heat. Personally, I'll take
incontinence any day over cancer, although the chances of either one
developing is fairly remote.

One even said, their
dog became anti-social after they spayed her.

Seriously doubt that this had anything to do with the spay itself. In going
to the dog park for the past 6 years, I've literally met hundreds of dogs,
and while there are ill mannered dogs and well mannered dogs, their behavior
has generally not been tied to their spay/neuter status.

Suja

Old June 28th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
Heck - I have a MALE dog with incontinence, but have had female dogs,
spayed before first heat, who can hold their urine until the cows come
home. I think it's actually kind of a crap shoot.

Somebody must have done a study on this but I can't find
anything other than a bunch of conjecture. Anyway, for
whatever it's worth (NOT MUCH!) the only dog I've had with
spay incontinence was spayed at the age of 2, and since the
spay also involved an abortion (previous owner was a *teeny*
bit irresponsible) I'd guess it's safe to say that she'd
been through at least one heat cycle.

Vaginal bleeding after spay Early Spring Dog health 17 June 19th 07 04:59 PM
Spay appt. Finally! Lynne Dog behavior 0 March 2nd 07 02:00 AM
spay recovery MauiJNP Dog health 2 October 12th 06 09:14 PM
spay vs neutering MauiJNP Dog health 7 March 21st 06 01:10 AM
Spay anaesthesia? White Monkey Dog health 10 August 26th 04 06:38 PM