The lonely dog?

Old June 28th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Many Dogs \(flick\)

Default The lonely dog?

One of our dogs is an occasional fence jumper - the Greyhound/Doberman
cross. He's an extremely friendly fellow, well behaved and somewhat
trained. I say "somewhat" because if he were better trained, he wouldn't go
over the fence. It's five feet tall.

He jumps the fence, walks down the driveway and waits under the magnolia
tree only if I'm home more than 2 hours late after work. This doesn't
happen on my days off, when I don't have a schedule and might be home or out
at any time.

He doesn't cross the property line to the neighbor's house, which he easily
could, it's 3 strands of barbed wire. Neither does he harass the rabbits or
the chickens; he killed one of the rabbits last year, and doesn't pay any
attention to the others.

This is a change in routine that distresses him?

Getting him confined again is interesting. I can't bring him in through the
front yard, as he doesn't get along with those dogs. I go through the front
gate, and he walks back around to his yard and jumps the fence again.

flick 100785

Old July 6th 07, 08:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

"Many Dogs \(flick\)" wrote in
:

Getting him confined again is interesting. I can't bring him in
through the front yard, as he doesn't get along with those dogs. I go
through the front gate, and he walks back around to his yard and jumps
the fence again.

The dogs know they are not supposed to go out front door when it is open.
I take them out a different door when I want them to go out so that I
don't have to worry about the kids standing around talking to friends
with the door open, not paying attention while dogs run outside. One
day, Molly decided to go for it anyway. But she didn't know that I was
working out in the front yard and would see her run past the kids and
out. It was interesting to watch her frantically try to find another way
into the house without going through the front door. She finally sat by
the gate to the side yard and grinned like she was just laying around
where she belonged and not getting into any trouble at all. But her ears
were down, a sure sign that she knows she is not as innocent as she is
pretending to be. I opened the gate and she ran into the side yard.

It sounds like your dog is out there keeping an eye out for your return.
My dogs watch out the front window from the top of the stairs. I have
noticed that Faith, who doesn't do that normally, does it every day
around the time that Anna gets home from school. He just has a different
vantage point is all. Either get home sooner or build him a dog run with
a better view!

Paula

Lonely dog Dog behavior 22 August 19th 04 09:27 AM
Lonely dog Dog behavior 0 August 18th 04 06:12 AM
Lonely dog Dog behavior 0 August 18th 04 06:12 AM
Lonely dog Dog behavior 0 August 18th 04 06:12 AM
Lonely dog Dog behavior 0 August 18th 04 06:12 AM