Cats and Dogs

Old June 28th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

Default Cats and Dogs

Just thinking out loud. Possibly worrying for no good reason. But....

We're visiting ELB over the weekend. He now has 7 or 8 cats (I've lost
count). I'm not worried at all about Pan, since she's lived with cats and
ferrets, and play bows to bunnies. But, she's the *ultimate* follower, and
may decide to join trouble.

Trouble is named Khan. His original paperwork from the SPCA said that he
spent time in the executive director's office, "nuzzling kitties". He has
met some friends' cats but that was 3+ years ago, and while he gets really
excited, and pokes his nose into cat to inhale deeply (weird!) if they sit
still, he'll chase any cats that run. Not with malice, I don't think, more
curiosity than anything else (body language is ears up, tail up and wagging,
whining). One of my brother's cats is neurologically impaired, and has poor
motor coordination/eyesight, etc. I am worried that a cat that's staggering
around like a drunk and does not know to command proper respect from dogs is
likely to become a target.

So, the plan is to introduce the dogs and cats, one at a time. Since Pan is
likely to go 'What cats?', we'll take her first, and then bring in Khan.
Mr. Squirt Bottle will be present when those introductions are made, in case
the fuzzy one thinks that cats are for dinner. Both dogs will be on leash
when they are introduced.

Is it reasonable to assume that a dog that was cat safe will remain cat safe
although he hasn't lived with them in oh, 6 years? Is it okay to put Khan
in a down-stay and bring the cats for him to sniff, or otherwise have them
approach? Do we bother with a food reward when he behaves appropriately, or
just pretend it's no big deal?

Our dogs will be confined to our room at night, and will be separated by
baby gates when we're out during the day and can't supervise them. ELB says
that his dogs will chase cats or cats will chase dogs when either party gets
bored, but 4 dogs = pack (even if one of them barely qualifies as a dog),
and I don't know how likely that is to modify behvior.

Suja

Old June 28th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Suja wrote:

Is it reasonable to assume that a dog that was cat safe will remain cat safe
although he hasn't lived with them in oh, 6 years?

I don't think there's any way to guess how he'll react to new,
strange cats. Dogs don't always generalize well, &ct. Even if he
*lived* with cats, he might react badly to them on a given day under
certain circumstances.

FWIW, Harriet is usually pretty good with Pandora. Strange cats,
though, are another matter. She thinks they are a new flavor of
bunny, and will chase them both indoors and out, if allowed.

Is it okay to put Khan
in a down-stay and bring the cats for him to sniff, or otherwise have them
approach? Do we bother with a food reward when he behaves appropriately, or
just pretend it's no big deal?

I would use whatever words and/or treats best communicate to him
that his actions (or lack thereof) were desirable. If that's food,
then use food.

Our dogs will be confined to our room at night, and will be separated by
baby gates when we're out during the day and can't supervise them.

Good plan. If the dogs and cats aren't going to be left alone
together, and your dogs are generally either disinterested or
willing to take direction from you when presented with cats, then I
would assume things will be fine.

--
Shelly
Old June 28th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Shelly" wrote in message:

I don't think there's any way to guess how he'll react to new,
strange cats.

I thought it was a good sign he was cohabitating with cats he hadn't known
from puppyhood, and has never tried to eat any of the friends' cats. He is
SUPER interested in cats. At the vet's, if he sees a cat carrier (sans
cat), he wants to sniff it, and will spend considerable amount of time with
his head in there, if allowed. He will approach cat carriers with cats in
it too, but will back off if hissed at (we always get permission, of
course). Even otherwise dog friendly cats don't always want a big, fuzzy
beast approaching them when they're feeling trapped, I guess.

FWIW, Harriet is usually pretty good with Pandora. Strange cats,
though, are another matter. She thinks they are a new flavor of
bunny, and will chase them both indoors and out, if allowed.

I didn't know that. Did your cats pre-date Harriet's arrival? I wonder if
that makes a difference.

I would use whatever words and/or treats best communicate to him
that his actions (or lack thereof) were desirable. If that's food,
then use food.

I was worried about having him make some sort of cats = food association,
hence the question. I don't want to make an already overstimulated dog go
completely over the edge.

Good plan. If the dogs and cats aren't going to be left alone
together, and your dogs are generally either disinterested or
willing to take direction from you when presented with cats, then I
would assume things will be fine.

I'm going to be optimistic and take a camera along, hoping for the best. As
long as everyone comes through unscathed, I'll be happy.

BTW, ELB and SIL aren't the least bit concerned, especially about the neuro
kitty (aka Psycho Kitty, aka Sybil) She's apparently sweet one minute,
psychotic the next, so all other critters give her the wide berth.

Suja

Old June 28th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Suja wrote:

I thought it was a good sign he was cohabitating with cats he hadn't known
from puppyhood, and has never tried to eat any of the friends' cats.

It is! It's just not a guarantee that he will be good with unknown
cats.

He is
SUPER interested in cats. At the vet's, if he sees a cat carrier (sans
cat), he wants to sniff it, and will spend considerable amount of time with
his head in there, if allowed. He will approach cat carriers with cats in
it too, but will back off if hissed at (we always get permission, of
course).

He sounds more curious than dangerous, to me.

Even otherwise dog friendly cats don't always want a big, fuzzy
beast approaching them when they're feeling trapped, I guess.

Heh. Once, when I had Rory at the vet, a little spaniely dog poked
his nose into the mesh of the carrier door. Rory calmly leaned
forward and gently kronshed on it. Shocked the poor dog and cracked
me the hell up. Neither animal was being malicious. The pup was
curious and that was one of the ways Rory showed affection to "his"
dogs.

I didn't know that. Did your cats pre-date Harriet's arrival? I wonder if
that makes a difference.

Some of them did, but she was also fine with Rory, who did not
pre-date her. It seems to be a "of my tribe" vs. "not of my tribe"
issue, at least for the dogs I've had.

I was worried about having him make some sort of cats = food association,
hence the question. I don't want to make an already overstimulated dog go
completely over the edge.

I wouldn't be concerned about that. Khan isn't going to confuse a
treat with prey, assuming he ends up thinking of the cats as prey.

I'm going to be optimistic and take a camera along, hoping for the best. As
long as everyone comes through unscathed, I'll be happy.

Yes, peechurs, please!

BTW, ELB and SIL aren't the least bit concerned, especially about the neuro
kitty (aka Psycho Kitty, aka Sybil) She's apparently sweet one minute,
psychotic the next, so all other critters give her the wide berth.

It sounds like she can take care of herself. Tell Khan to mind his
eyes, as they are tender and claws beat skin.

--
Shelly
Old June 28th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Shelly" wrote in message:

He sounds more curious than dangerous, to me.

That's how I see it, although I'm not sure that isn't going to get him to
trouble. One of my friends has two cats. One is this fluffy, regal thing,
and it walks around like it owns the place (also beats up dogs that it lives
with). When Khan came in, he was sitting on the kitchen counter with his
tail dangling down, and Khan sniffed the tail and moved on, while the cat
pretended that he hadn't actually seen or been sniffed at by a new dog. The
other one is a little shy kitty, and it darted behind the couch. Khan was
determined to get to it, and decided to stick his head under the couch, and
try to upend it. He may have succeeded, except a couple of us humans
decided to play bad guy and sat on the couch.

SIL has two shy kitties. I'm pretty sure she'll object strenuously to
having her furniture rearranged for her.

Rory calmly leaned
forward and gently kronshed on it.

^^^^^^^^
New word. He crunched on the dog's nose? That'd be funny. How did the
owner react?

Some of them did, but she was also fine with Rory, who did not
pre-date her. It seems to be a "of my tribe" vs. "not of my tribe"
issue, at least for the dogs I've had.

I've seen that. Lately, I've been meeting dogs that are more Pan-like.
Cat? What cat? Makes it easier to figure out dogsitting arrangements.

I wouldn't be concerned about that. Khan isn't going to confuse a
treat with prey, assuming he ends up thinking of the cats as prey.

Yeah, he's more likely to draw straight lines. We all know that thinking
ain't his strong suit.

Yes, peechurs, please!

There's something Khan can do - herd all the cats so we can take a group
picture. We'll hopefully get some good ones. I still have a ton of
pictures I haven't downloaded from the past two dog sitting assignments.

It sounds like she can take care of herself. Tell Khan to mind his
eyes, as they are tender and claws beat skin.

Left up to his own devices, he'd dash madly into whatever, and come out with
stuff sticking all over him. We have to be so careful with his eyes,
because he's rather reckless, and doesn't seem to realize that getting poked
in the eye is not a good thing. I'm just going to see if he can keep
himself from annoying cats to that extent.

Suja

Old June 28th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sionnach

"Shelly" wrote:

It seems to be a "of my tribe" vs. "not of my tribe" issue, at least for
the dogs I've had.

That's how it's been with my dogs, although I think I'd've used the word
"pack" rather than "tribe". G Every dog I've ever had, including Rocsi,
has gotten on just fine with the cats that LIVE here (aside from occasional
friendly teasing on one side or another), but has chased any cat *not* of
the pack - however, not with any intent to do harm, just to see the intruder
off.

With the semi-feral "barn" cats at Bob's place (he inherited them from his
mother, who was a borderline collector), the dogs behave in a friendly
fashion with the ones that hang around the door and don't run, but want to
chase the ones that *do* run. With the three that live indoors, they behave
the same way they do with mine.

Old June 29th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Shelly wrote:
snip
It sounds like she can take care of herself. Tell Khan to mind his
eyes, as they are tender and claws beat skin.

Zane says, "Be careful of the kitties because they carry *knives*. When
in doubt, scream like a little girl and run away."

Old June 29th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

"Suja" wrote in
:

The other one is a little shy kitty, and it darted behind the
couch. Khan was determined to get to it, and decided to stick his
head under the couch, and try to upend it. He may have succeeded,
except a couple of us humans decided to play bad guy and sat on
the couch.

The more I learn about Khan, the more he reminds me of Elliott. Bless
his heart.

SIL has two shy kitties. I'm pretty sure she'll object
strenuously to having her furniture rearranged for her.

Probably! But Khan *does* take direction pretty well, right? You may
have to watch him like a hawk, but as long as he will listen to you,
when you tell him to mind his Ps and Qs, I think the furniture
rearranging should be minimal.

Rory calmly leaned
forward and gently kronshed on it.

^^^^^^^^
New word. He crunched on the dog's nose? That'd be funny. How
did the owner react?

http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2007/06/the-delicatest-.html
http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2007/06/what-shes-just-.html

Anyway, a kronsch is a delicate little nibble. Rory used to kronsch
Elliott's nose, which was hysterically funny. He'd gently grab Elliott
by the head, a paw on either side of his face, and slowly and
deliberately bite his nose. Not hard, mind you. He also used to grab
Elliott's head, then rub his face all over it, marking it. Rory really
liked Elliott. Elliott was not so impressed with Rory's demonstrations
of affection, but he was very gentlemanly about accepting them.

As for the dog at the vet's office, I think he was shocked. He backed
away and didn't bother Rory again, which was fine with me. I didn't
notice how the owner reacted. If she didn't like her dog's nose being
nibbled, then she should've minded him a little more carefully.

There's something Khan can do - herd all the cats so we can take a
group picture. We'll hopefully get some good ones. I still have
a ton of pictures I haven't downloaded from the past two dog
sitting assignments.

Well, hop to it, missy! If you don't, I'll be forced to post more
photos of Harriet drooling, which would gross out Montana and Jenny,
and we can't have that, can we?

Left up to his own devices, he'd dash madly into whatever, and
come out with stuff sticking all over him.

Oh, I *do* adore Khan, bless his heart.

We have to be so careful with his eyes, because he's rather
reckless, and doesn't seem to realize that getting poked in the
eye is not a good thing.

Doggles. Just sayin'...

--
Shelly

Old June 29th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Kathleen" wrote in message:

Zane says, "Be careful of the kitties because they carry *knives*.

Always good to know. I'll be sure to pass that message along.

When
in doubt, scream like a little girl and run away."

NEVAH! Manly dogs don't scream like little girls. The running away part
however, they can do.

Suja

Old June 29th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Shelly" wrote in message:

The more I learn about Khan, the more he reminds me of Elliott. Bless
his heart.

Two VERY special bears, no doubt. What really gets me is that people who
don't know him really well think of Khan as this majestic dog, when he's
more like a doofus doggie.

Probably! But Khan *does* take direction pretty well, right?

Oh yeah. Except when it comes to the fox. Thank goodness cats aren't
foxes, or we'd be in deep trouble.

You may
have to watch him like a hawk, but as long as he will listen to you,
when you tell him to mind his Ps and Qs, I think the furniture
rearranging should be minimal.

Let's hope so. I think that 8 cats might be a bit much, but it might also
keep him distracted enough so he doesn't pester any one cat

Rory really
liked Elliott. Elliott was not so impressed with Rory's demonstrations
of affection, but he was very gentlemanly about accepting them.

What a good dog! I'm not sure what my two would do - actually, Pan would
scream like a girl and run away, probably.

Well, hop to it, missy! If you don't, I'll be forced to post more
photos of Harriet drooling, which would gross out Montana and Jenny,
and we can't have that, can we?

Speaking of drool, Pan blew a quadruple bubble. Okay, so it was two bubbles
on each side, but still pretty impressive. No camera on hand,
unfortunately.

Oh, I *do* adore Khan, bless his heart.

What's not to like? Act first, think later.

Suja

cats v dogs Frieda Dog breeds 3 November 28th 05 07:11 PM
Cats and Dogs David Heggie Dog behavior 4 August 30th 05 10:42 PM
Dogs & Cats help please Atom1 Dog behavior 0 March 12th 04 04:14 PM