Romney melts down

Old June 29th 07, 08:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
A. Brain

Default Romney melts down

What could be worse? That he beats his children
or that he has more than one wife?

(Both of which may be acceptable in the
Mormon faith, as racism was not too long ago.)

The old line used to be that a politician's
career ends when he's caught with a dead
girl or a live boy. What about this?

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yrmxcc

--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.

Old June 29th 07, 11:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
No Brain wrote:
What could be worse? That he beats his children
or that he has more than one wife?

The dog-on-the-roof story is terrible, but when you lie
about the other stuff it makes the dog-on-the-roof story
look dubious, too.

I hate cheap-ass smear jobs when you should be talking about
the issues. If you thought the Swift Boat attacks on Kerry
were awful (and I don't know that you did, come to think of
it) you shouldn't tolerate "beating his children" and
polygamy lies, either. There's plenty negative to say about
Romney and the few positions he's bothered to stake out
without having to resort to a smear job.

Old June 30th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
A. Brain

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
In article
,
No Brain wrote:
What could be worse? That he beats his children
or that he has more than one wife?

The dog-on-the-roof story is terrible, but when you lie
about the other stuff it makes the dog-on-the-roof story
look dubious, too.

I hate cheap-ass smear jobs when you should be talking about
the issues. If you thought the Swift Boat attacks on Kerry
were awful (and I don't know that you did, come to think of
it) you shouldn't tolerate "beating his children" and
polygamy lies, either. There's plenty negative to say about
Romney and the few positions he's bothered to stake out
without having to resort to a smear job.

I never claimed that he beat his children or that
he has more than one wife. I asked what could
be worse than the dog story.

Has someone been out there saying that
Romney beats his kids or has more than
one wife? I thought he was the only GOP
candidate who has only been married once!

As for the "reality-based community", Romney
suggested in one of the debates that the reason
that we had to invade Iraq was that Iraq would
not let UN inspectors in to look for the alleged
"weapons of mass destruction". That puts him
in the company of people who don't seem to
recall that WE threw the inspectors out when
they were begging us to let them complete
their task. And by the way, the UN inspectors
were specifically looking for the alleged WsMD
in places where U.S. intelligence supposedly
thought they were.

The "liberal media" did not jump on Romney
for this.

Romney also said that we should double
the size of the Guantanamo facility, begging
the question that the "liberal media" failed
to ask in follow-up.

--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.

Old June 30th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
A. Brain wrote:
I never claimed that he beat his children or that
he has more than one wife. I asked what could
be worse than the dog story.

It wouldn't kill you to take a good, hard look at what you
actually wrote. And do it in some other newsgroup - rpdh
tends to be higher signal than most other newsgroups and if
you crap it up you won't be doing the Democrats or whoever
it is you're supporting any favors.

Old June 30th 07, 12:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

shut up with the political stuff - this is not a political forum.
buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old July 1st 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
A. Brain

Default Travel safety (Was Romney melts down)

A. Brain wrote:
I never claimed that he beat his children or that
he has more than one wife. I asked what could
be worse than the dog story.

Romney's latest excuse is that the
dog enjoyed riding on top of the
car. I don't buy that, but this is
a guy who will apparently say
anything. And even if the dog
did enjoy it, it's dangerous.

That dog was in danger
of severe injury. When I travel
with my dog, I make sure he
is wearing a seat belt. We've
traveled thousands of miles
together for the past seven years.

Occasionally, he somehow
pulls a Houdini and escapes
from the belt, usually when
we hit a severe thunderstorm.

Friends laugh at my dog's seatbelt
until I ask them if they use belts
for their kids. Here in Texas,
it is not uncommon to see dogs
as well as children riding in the
back of pick-up trucks. I
saw a dog literally fall out of
a pick-up truck one evening
right into the middle of
a busy intersection.

I stopped and a couple of people helped
me get him to safety.

It wouldn't kill you to take a good, hard look at what you
actually wrote. And do it in some other newsgroup - rpdh
tends to be higher signal than most other newsgroups and if
you crap it up you won't be doing the Democrats or whoever
it is you're supporting any favors.

Another self-appointed policeman.

When you saw the name "Romney",
you might have surmised that there
was some political content.

I've posted here now and then for seven
years. Almost always on topic. And
it's been my experience that posts
complaining about "off topic"
posts tend to cause more disruption,
as do personal insults and name-calling.

I'm sure you've never posted off-topic--WAY
off topic. As for "crapping up" a newsgroup,
my post was at least about dogs. And Romney
was the one who literally "crapped things up" for his
dog.

--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.

Old July 1st 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
No Brain wrote:
I've posted here now and then for seven
years. Almost always on topic.

Swell - why not post it to comp.unix.wizards? Ever give
some thought to why there are newsgroups in the first place?

I don't recall having seen your posts before, but if they've
all been of the quality of the one recommending that dogs
receive a human diet with some dog food thrown in, well, no
wonder they're not memorable. Hint: "nutrition".

plonk

Old July 1st 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
A. Brain

Default Dog food, raw diet. etc. (Was Romney melts down)

No Brain wrote:
I've posted here now and then for seven
years. Almost always on topic.

Swell - why not post it to comp.unix.wizards? Ever give
some thought to why there are newsgroups in the first place?

I don't recall having seen your posts before, but if they've
all been of the quality of the one recommending that dogs
receive a human diet with some dog food thrown in, well, no
wonder they're not memorable. Hint: "nutrition".

Interesting in that you offered helpful responses to my
recent "poop scoop pollution" post. I guess that
"crapped up" the newsgroup too?

And do you dispute the opinions of the local vet who
recommends the "raw diet"? She also offers her
opinion that the "processed" food dogs and cats
get today are likely responsible for the proliferation
of diseases.

Here are some excerpts from her article, April
2004, entitled "Real Food for Your Pet".

"There may be those of you who remember
your grandparents feeding their family pets in much the
same manner [60% raw meaty bones and the rest
a wide range of good quality human food scraps"].
Those animals enjoyed a nutrient rich diet that allowed
them to live a healthy, happy life without the need for
drugs and surgeries."

She goes on:

Both species [dogs and cats] today have
suffered from being fed a diet that does not
meet their needs. Sadly, I have seen a tremendous
decline in the general health of our pets during the
28 years that I have been a veterinarian. Chronic
degenerative diseases run rampant. Disease conditions
that I did not even study in veterinary college are now
a common occurrence."

The book cited in my post that you criticize would
seem to have been fairly prescient, but never mind
about that.

--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.

Old July 1st 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
A. Brain

Default Romney (ng police need not read)

"Rocky" wrote in message
If you have some sort of compulsion which requires you to post
fringe dog "news" to the health group, don't. Take it to
rpd.misc or (better yet) alt.test

This is a health group whose real users don't need the headache
of wading through crap.

You don't HAVE to WADE through anything.

Or do you have some sort of compulsion
to read, er, wade, through everything?

What's the average number of posts here
per day? Probably less than a dozen. And
you got a headache from seeing a post
about a politician and his dog? How do
you deal with reading a newspaper or
watching CNN?

Surely you do not read all posts here or
anywhere else.

I guess one of my first posts here, which offered
a detailed explanation of fibrosarcoma, was
"crap" because it did not stick strictly to the
science of the disease and instead offered
some personal experiences as well?

Never mind that I still occasionally get
private e-mails with questions about that
condition based on my post from seven
years ago. So I am not a "real user"?

Do you read those posts about
MI5 or "Men's Underwear" or
"Tatoos" or offerings of
one of Paul Krugman's columns
deriding Milton Friedman? What
if someone responded--as I was
tempted to do--defending Friedman?
Is that the point when the posts
become objectionable?

Another self-appointed policeman.

This is not a newsgroup for professional
physicians who treat dogs. Based on
my seven years experience here, it is
a newsgroup where dog lovers and
owners can share concerns and ideas.

If you are not interested in "fringe dog
news", don't read it. Just skip it. It's
harmless. Maybe some want to read
it; maybe no one wants to read it. Yet
you claim that it hurts you.

My experience is that when self-appointed
policemen on whatever newsgroup
slap others for the content of
postings, they tend to intimidate
especially newcomers and others
and to discourage discussion. So you
end up with a little clique right out
of middle school--"real users"
I guess--where the clique's OT
posts or marginal offerings or
even personal banter are OK,
but those of others are not.

For an example, take a look
at this 5/21/07 thread, which is
certainly not objectionable, is tangentially
relevant and topical, but drew no
objections from some of the self-appointed
police who slapped me for what
I still consider to be an "on-topic"
post about Romney's carelessness
with the family dog.

http://tinyurl.com/yq9cj7

Or read some of the follow-up
posts in the "how to train your
puppy" thread.

How do you travel with "Rocky"?

THAT might have been a useful response.

Sorry if this gave you an additional headache.

But you did not HAVE to read it, nor did
you HAVE to try to police this group.

And by the way, the "policing" did nothing
to stop the spam we see here quite often.

--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.

Old July 1st 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

A. Brain wrote:

[...]

Your vet may be correct in her assessment that much "processed"
pet food has contributed to pet disease. But she is also making
the mistake of confusing a correlation (more processed food, more
degenerative diseases observed) with cause and effect.

Pets live longer than they did in my grandparents' time, so she
may be seeing more degenerative disease because it often doesn't
appear until old age. Pets get more frequent medical care now;
if the dog or cat got sick, well, it either recovered or it
didn't in my grandparents' day. Many pets probably got more
exercise then; they weren't as likely to be confined to an
apartment all day. (Of course, if they ran free, as they were
likely to, they also were more likely to die from some accident.)

I'm no fan of most of the processed foods available today (pet or
human). But her arguments (as you presented them, anyhow), don't
hold up under a closer look.

FurPaw

--
The Bush legacy - no child left a dime.