Food recommendation for active dog with dry skin

Old June 29th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

Default Food recommendation for active dog with dry skin

assuming her dry skin is even food related... She's currently on Canidae
All Life Stages and her skin is super dry. She did great previously on
Nutro Lamb & Rice and also on Wellness. I switched her off Nutro to get
her on a higher quality food, and switched her off Wellness because her
poops reminded me of Japanese monster flicks.

Any recommendations?

FYI, she doesn't appear to have any classic allergy symptoms other than dry
skin. Her skin actually LOOKS healthy, no flaking, but she is shedding
like a fiend and obviously itchy. No redness, either (yet?). Her eyes &
ears look perfect, her nose is not running, and her energy levels are
fantastic. The skin/coat supplement (oil) has definitely softened her fur,
so maybe the itchiness will subside soon? Heck, it may have already since
I haven't had to tell her to stop scratching very much today. I've never
had to supplement before. Is this just standard stuff for some dogs?

--
Lynne
Old June 29th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy

in thread . 97.142:
Lynne whittled the following words:

She did great
previously on Nutro Lamb & Rice and also on Wellness.

Obviously .... Put her back on what she did well on.

DUH

Old June 29th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

Lynne wrote:
[...]

Oppie's been on Canidae kibble and canned for about three months.
No skin problems, but we've always supplemented his food with
about a tablespoon of cold-pressed flax oil every day. Is that
what you're using to supplement?

We also give him a fish oil capsule every day, which is a more
direct way than flax oil of increasing omega-3 dietary content.
I try to buy brands made from small-bodied fish (anchovies and
sardines, typically), because they're lower on the food chain and
hence don't concentrate pollutants as much (or so I've been told).

I don't specifically use flax oil and fish oil for coat - omega
3s have a lot of healthy benefits - but both are supposed to be
helpful for coat and skin maintenance.

FurPaw

--
The Bush legacy - no child left a dime.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old June 29th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Fri, 29 Jun 2007 17:56:50 GMT, FurPaw wrote:

Is that what you're using to supplement?

I'll have to check this. I know I should know, but the new job has my
little brain stretched to capacity.

--
Lynne
Old June 29th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

diddy wrote:
in thread . 97.142:
Lynne whittled the following words:

She did great
previously on Nutro Lamb & Rice and also on Wellness.

Obviously .... Put her back on what she did well on.

DUH

I switched her
off Nutro to get her on a higher quality food,

I can understand this reluctance to use Nutro - Some varieties of
Nutro were recalled because of melamine contamination. We had
been alternating Nutro and Iams when Oppie went through a period
of excessive drinking last fall. There are lots of possible
causes, of course, but I can't help but wonder if there was a
link to one or the other of the foods (melamine acts as a diuretic).

FurPaw

Old June 29th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Fri, 29 Jun 2007 18:08:58 GMT, FurPaw wrote:

I can understand this reluctance to use Nutro - Some varieties of
Nutro were recalled because of melamine contamination. We had
been alternating Nutro and Iams when Oppie went through a period
of excessive drinking last fall. There are lots of possible
causes, of course, but I can't help but wonder if there was a
link to one or the other of the foods (melamine acts as a diuretic).

There's no way in hell I'm feeding that crap to my animals again. We
totally dodged a bullet when I switched everyone from Nutro a few months
prior to the recall. My cats, one who has FHV and is just NOT healthy,
were both eating the Nutro wet pouches that were recalled.

--
Lynne
Old June 29th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
diddy wrote:

As for feeding pouches? Feed them dry food unless there is a medical need
to feed them wet

I realize you aren't a cat lover Diddy, but it really is better to feed
cats wet food than dry food.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old June 30th 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:51:59 GMT, Janet Boss
wrote:

As for feeding pouches? Feed them dry food unless there is a medical
need to feed them wet

I realize you aren't a cat lover Diddy, but it really is better to
feed cats wet food than dry food.

as if I would take cat feeding advice from someone who kills cats...!

--
Lynne
Old June 30th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:38:50 GMT, elegy
wrote:

i can only assume that the prices i pay are similar to the prices
others pay, but canidae is cheaper for me to feed than nutro....

I find Canidae to be about the same as Nutro, too, and less than Wellness.
Price wasn't at all a factor when I chose it, but was a nice bonus.

and as janet already addressed, cats are much better off eating canned
than dry, for assorted reasons.

Absolutely.

--
Lynne
Old June 30th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Sat, 30 Jun 2007 00:27:49 GMT, elegy
wrote:

i admit, feeding three, price is partially a factor. not a huge one,
but a factor.

it would be for me, too, but Roxy only eats 2 cups of food per day so the
price differences we are talking about aren't that great. Multiply that
times 3, or more depending on individual intake, and well, I'd be lookiing
at price as a secondary factor, too!

--
Lynne