Boston Terrier

Old June 30th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
GUnes

Default Boston Terrier

About a month ago I have bought my son a Boston Terrier for his
Birthday, because that's what he has been wanting for 3 years now. When
we called the breeder who told me has still a female and male left, I
was mostly interested having a female but would have picked either. So,
we have left as soon as we got off the phone and the ride was about 1
1/2 hours. By the time we have arrived, the only one left was the
female puppy, so beautiful, but very snorky. The breeder gave us 200
dollars off the the $600 because she may needed a nose holes enlarged
and a year guarantee. Once we took our puppy to the Vet, we were given
an antibiotics, which didn't work, so the Vet performed a X-ray which
showed a birth deffect and we had to return the puppy we kept for 2
weeks back to the breeder. We have received our money we have paid for
the puppy and lost all of the Vet cost.
My son and I are looking for another Boston puppy but can't find one in
our area. The ones we have found had maybe 48 hours guarantee and were
even more costly than our budget. We would like to have another Boston
Terrier. I wonder if anyone had a simler experience in the past.
Old June 30th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Many Dogs \(flick\)

"GUnes" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't had this experience. But many, many people do have just this
experience when they buy a dog from breeders who are producing dogs for
*money* rather than trying to meet the show standard and showing them.

IMO your best bet would be to look in petfinder.com and/or google "boston
terrier rescue" and see what you can find. An adult dog can make a fine
pet; please don't feel that you've got to start with a puppy.

flick 100785

Old June 30th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
GUnes

Many Dogs (flick) wrote:
"GUnes" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you! I have checked the website and most of adult dogs aren't good
with children or are not recommended to be with them. That's why I am
looking for a puppy now.
Old June 30th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
GUnes wrote:
Thank you! I have checked the website and most of adult dogs aren't good
with children or are not recommended to be with them. That's why I am
looking for a puppy now.

??? That seems odd to me. The puppy will be an adult dog
in a year, and your children will still be children. Why
not choose a dog that's known to be good with children,
instead? Reduce the chances of things going badly.

Old June 30th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy

in thread : GUnes
whittled the following words:

Thank you! I have checked the website and most of adult dogs aren't
good with children or are not recommended to be with them. That's why
I am looking for a puppy now.

Children tend to be attracted to cute baby puppies. They love to hold, and
poke at them like toys, and puppies (ALL puppies) go through a puppy
biting/nipping stage. Adults (if savvy) can teach the puppy not to
bite/nip THEM, but they have no way to enforce the puppy not biting young
children. Children retaliate by slapping, screaming, shrieking and if you
ever watched two puppies play with each other, this only encourages a puppy
to do more. (puppies play ROUGH), in no time flat, you have a puppy that is
overly aggressive with children, and the children become fearful or overly
aggressive back. A child non-tolerant dog is born.

It's best to get an adult that has already learned to tolerate children, is
past the puppy/bitey/nipping stage, and you only have the job of training
the CHILDREN and not both the dog AND children.
If you look in shelters, many "STILL PUPPIES" are tossed out because they
are not compatable with children. Those puppies were MADE non-child
tolerant because a family wanted to start with a puppy for their kids.
They should have started with an ADULT .. proven to be child safe.

Please don't add to the statistics
Old July 1st 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
A. Brain

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
GUnes wrote:
Thank you! I have checked the website and most of adult dogs aren't
good
with children or are not recommended to be with them. That's why I am
looking for a puppy now.

??? That seems odd to me. The puppy will be an adult dog
in a year, and your children will still be children. Why
not choose a dog that's known to be good with children,
instead? Reduce the chances of things going badly.

I could not agree more. Some dogs just are
not good with kids--within and across breeds.

I don't think a child-unfriendly Boston
Terrier would be as dangerous as a Rottweiler
or a pit bull or whatever, but you're much better
off with an adult dog. How do you know that
a puppy is going to grow up to be different
from the adult Boston Terriers you have seen or
read/heard about? He or she might be even
worse! And I cannot imagine anything worse
than having the family dog hurt one of the kids.

What's more, there is almost nothing as satisfying
as adopting a dog from a rescue group or the
local SPCA. When I was looking there, I met
several great dogs, and was near adopting one
particularly great long-haired dachshund until
I saw her bond with a little boy whose family
was also there looking. And about a week later,
I found my current dog who is so like the
dog I lost to cancer weeks before,
it's hard to tell them apart in photos.

The SPCA or the rescue group will likely
have complete information on where their
dogs came from, why they were given up,
etc. and most will let you have the dog
"on approval" so you can make sure
you have the right "fit".
--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.

Old July 2nd 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Many Dogs \(flick\)

"GUnes" wrote in message

Thank you! I have checked the website and most of adult dogs aren't good
with children or are not recommended to be with them. That's why I am
looking for a puppy now.

How old is your son?

Diddy has given excellent advice. I would only expand on it slightly to say
that IMO a person should NEVER leave a child under the age of 10-12 alone
with ANY dog. Their interaction should ALWAYS be supervised.

flick 100785

Old July 2nd 07, 10:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
GUnes

Many Dogs (flick) wrote:
"GUnes" wrote in message

Thank you! I have checked the website and most of adult dogs aren't good
with children or are not recommended to be with them. That's why I am
looking for a puppy now.

How old is your son?

Diddy has given excellent advice. I would only expand on it slightly to say
that IMO a person should NEVER leave a child under the age of 10-12 alone
with ANY dog. Their interaction should ALWAYS be supervised.

flick 100785

Thanks for your advice, but I am not worried about my 9 year old son or
my 18 year old daughter to leave them alone w/a dog. Not all kids have
bad behavior. The worse thing for us was the decision to return the
puppy back after we found out that the puppy had a bad birth deffect,
which would be very costly down the road, and to see your kids crying at
the Vet's office hurts you even more. To hear a comments from your
child like: "I hope she will never forget me" or "she will be missing
her bed tonight", etc. hurts most. I remember us waking up the first
nights and sitting just in living room thinking how attached we were,
she was our joy.
Old July 3rd 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Many Dogs \(flick\)

"GUnes" wrote in message

Thanks for your advice, but I am not worried about my 9 year old son or
my 18 year old daughter to leave them alone w/a dog. Not all kids have
bad behavior. The worse thing for us was the decision to return the puppy
back after we found out that the puppy had a bad birth deffect, which
would be very costly down the road, and to see your kids crying at the
Vet's office hurts you even more. To hear a comments from your child
like: "I hope she will never forget me" or "she will be missing her bed
tonight", etc. hurts most. I remember us waking up the first nights and
sitting just in living room thinking how attached we were, she was our
joy.

I'm sorry for the trauma your family has gone through.

Please consider getting a dog from a rescue org rather than a person
breeding for money.

flick 100785

Boston Terrier jack Dogs - general 0 February 5th 07 09:51 PM
boston terrier Aquedian Dog breeds 1 September 20th 05 09:28 PM
Boston Terrier Sharon Dog breeds 2 February 5th 05 12:50 AM
Boston terrier Shawn Dog health 0 December 28th 04 04:18 PM
Q for those who have a Boston Terrier Penelope Dog behavior 0 November 16th 03 01:50 AM