dog's nose leather is always very dry

Old July 1st 07, 11:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
queenmarcia

Default dog's nose leather is always very dry

I babysit for a dog. Abba Zabba, and she has always had a very, very
dry nose on the outside-the nose leather part. I don't know if it
bothers her, but her owner is always asking me what to do about it.
We both love Abba dearly, and I am thinking after looking around on
the internet that maybe Vaseline would be a good idea. Does anyone
know why a dog's nose leather would always be extremely dry? Other
things about Abba that may or may not mean anything related a

She's kinda fat-breed/age is unknown but she looks like a chihuahua
straight haired blond head attached to a poodle curly haired body with
short curly haired legs and medium length curly tail, ears that one
stands up and the other flops forward--so cute medium size about
twelve-fifteen pounds. She is probably under 4-5 years old and came
from some losers who couldn't take care of her or articulate her
background.....at least they knew she needed a good home.

She is an only dog and lives in an apartment-both owners work but one
comes home during the day to take Abba out. Both owners are
affectionate, and Abba has lots of toys, a kennel where she has her
food and can sleep, dog treats and not much human food.

She is mostly good but has recently PEED ON THEIR NEW BED which had no
other doggie smells--bought brand new and that is another matter I
think. Normally she goes outside to do her business. She can't climb
on bed by herself. I am searching for answers for that problem too.

So---do you have any answers anyone?? Is that a sign of something
like diabetes. Abba has been to the vet only for shots and spaying,
and neither vet really looked at her all over health I think because I
went to the vet with the owners on those occasions, and none of us
asked any questions really. Should we get her to a good vet?

Old July 2nd 07, 12:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"queenmarcia" wrote in message
oups.com...
and she has always had a very, very
dry nose on the outside-the nose leather part.

snip
maybe Vaseline would be a good idea.

..........you take care of this by oiling up the inside, not the outside!
Try some fish body oil, like salmon oil caps added to the food.

She's kinda fat-breed/

medium size about
twelve-fifteen pounds. She is probably under 4-5 years old

She is mostly good but has recently PEED ON THEIR NEW BED

........if she has never ever done this before it might not behaioral. Best
to take the dog to a vet who will do a thorough checkup. Take a first pee
along for urinalysis. If they're not going to the vet within half an hour
of the pee, put it in the fridge. At her age if she's never had a good
physical exam, perhaps a complete bloodwork up may be a good idea also. If
the owners feel she hasn't gotten much attention from their vet, try a new
one.

buglady
take out the dog before replying