New Adopted Dog - Crate training

Old July 3rd 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default New Adopted Dog - Crate training

Hi..

We have adopted a dog (1 yr old).. and this is our first dog..

Both me and my wife work and our work place is not close to home.. We
were thinking of leaving the dog in the crate... we will be out of
home for around 11 hrs.. Would you recommend leaving the dog in the
first week itself for that long??

The dog is currently in the animal shelter.. We thought, it should be
ok.. what do you all think.. I am reading some books and articles and
i am now worried..

any help you all can provide will be great.. thanks a bunch in
advance..

help the newbiee here!!

- GK.

Old July 3rd 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
rsnprocess

On Jul 2, 7:43 pm, wrote:
Hi..

We have adopted a dog (1 yr old).. and this is our first dog..

Both me and my wife work and our work place is not close to home.. We
were thinking of leaving the dog in the crate... we will be out of
home for around 11 hrs.. Would you recommend leaving the dog in the
first week itself for that long??

The dog is currently in the animal shelter.. We thought, it should be
ok.. what do you all think.. I am reading some books and articles and
i am now worried..

any help you all can provide will be great.. thanks a bunch in
advance..

help the newbiee here!!

- GK.

I know someone who leaves her Yorkie in a crate that long, but it
can't be good for her bladder. All the reading I've done says not to
leave then more than 4-5 hours at a time.

My old dogs have been used to a dog door for the last 9 years and went
outside whenever they needed to.
Now we have moved to a house that it would be most difficult to put
in a door. So I'm having to retrain them to use the adult dog pads
when we are gone, because the 14 and 15 year old one can't hold their
bladders as long as they used to. I think they are beginning to
understand.

Good luck with your new dog.

Old July 3rd 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Paul E. Schoen wrote:

Paul and Muttley

Are you even *capable* of making a post that isn't all about you?

--
Shelly
Old July 3rd 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Paul E. Schoen" wrote:

This is just my story. It is probably not good advice.

The understatement of the decade!

--
Janet Boss
Old July 3rd 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Spot wrote:
I can't beleive the shelter is letting you hae her if no one will be home
for that length of time. The shelters around here won't adopt to someone if
the dog is going to be stuck at home alone for more than 8 hours a day.

Every shelter is different. Where I currently live, they require
proof of home ownership or, for renters, proof that you are allowed
to have pets (copy of lease, plus they call your landlord). There
is also a 24 hour waiting period. Where I used to live, there was
absolutely *zero* screening. Anyone who ponied up the money ($5 at
the time) could take home the dog or cat of their choosing, no
questions asked. Also, no pre-speutering of animals, and there was
no waiting period.

--
Shelly
Old July 3rd 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 05:46:43 -0400, "Paul E. Schoen"
wrote:

[...]
Good luck, and thanks for rescuing her. She will love you for it.

Less posting.

More TRAINING!

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Don't mess with old farts! Part VI:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...019237681.html

Don't mess with old farts! Part VII:
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...earlog_070621/

"No legislation without explanation!"
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1749152.php

Alarmist global warming claims melt under scientific scrutiny!
http://www.suntimes.com/news/othervi...REF30b.article

Yo, Judith! Watch this: "When your government becomes your doctor"
http://sickandsickermovie.com/
Old July 3rd 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Jul 3, 5:46 am, "Paul E. Schoen" wrote:
Many of the things I did were probably wrong according to conventional
wisdom.

I don't know of anything you've done that followed any wisdom,
conventional or not.

So, I did many things wrong, yet have had success.

I haven't seen anything you've done qualify as success.

I think a very important
aspect of this is that I am always kind and gentle with my dog. He is not
as obedient as he should be, yet I understand where some of his behavior
comes from, and it is not really "bad".

Making excuses for inappropriate behaviors just makes them go away
doesn't it.

We communicate with each other, and
we trust each other.

Do you use ESP? Last I heard he doesn't even look at you.

He has been more than a handful, but I am happy with
him, and will continue to make progress, even if it is slow.

Slow as in Lesson #1C?

This is just my story. It is probably not good advice.

No ****.

But it shows that
various methods can work.

Please define 'work'.

I think it is important to bond with your dog,
understand her, and develop trust, without pushing too hard. That's my
story, and I'm sticking to it.

Good luck, and thanks for rescuing her. She will love you for it.

Paul and Muttley

I think I've said enough.

Nick

Old July 3rd 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 16:19:15 -0000,
"
wrote:

Slow as in Lesson #1C?

We had a Lesson #1C???

I don't see no steeenkin' Lesson #1C!

I don't even see no steenkin' Lesson #1B!

I'm not even sure that there was ever a Lesson #1A!

So many lessons.

So little training goin' on.

sigh

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Health ca We'd all love to see the plan.
http://www.janegalt.net/archives/009873.html

Old July 3rd 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

wrote:
Slow as in Lesson #1C?

We had a Lesson #1C???

I don't see no steeenkin' Lesson #1C!

I don't even see no steenkin' Lesson #1B!

I'm not even sure that there was ever a Lesson #1A!

So many lessons.

So little training goin' on.

sigh

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Well, I was referring to the length of time it would take for him to
get to a lesson #1C... not sure if you caught that or not.

Nick

Potty Training/Crate Training MoneyB Dog behavior 2 September 21st 05 06:13 PM
Crate re-training -mi-chael4 Dog breeds 1 March 31st 04 09:41 PM
Crate Training Cin Dog behavior 21 October 1st 03 08:06 AM
Crate Training Cin Dog behavior 0 September 30th 03 11:17 AM
Crate Training Cin Dog behavior 0 September 30th 03 11:17 AM