Late night visitor

Old July 4th 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

Default Late night visitor

Just a few minutes ago, Muttley heard something, and barked to alert me. I
heard some noise on the front porch, and I thought I heard someone knock.
This was about 12:15 AM, and I live on a dark, busy road with no safe place
to walk except on private property. So I see some rough looking guy peeking
in the door around the big "Beware of Dog" sign, and my dog is almost going
Cujo as I snap on his leash. I open the door enough to talk to him, and he
asks if this is the road to the watershed. He has a backpack and he looks
disheveled and not quite right. However, he does not seem threatening, and
I tell him that the bridge over the water is about 1/2 mile down the road.

Quite often I see fishermen and other people walking by, during the day,
and sometimes they ask similar questions. But after midnight? There are
only a dozen or so houses until the actual watershed, which is uninhabited
by humans (at least officially). I went out with Muttley to make sure
everything seemed OK, and I would have been willing to let it go at that,
but then I heard loud talking or shouting down the road where he had gone,
and Muttley was on the edge of freaking out. I mulled it over for a minute,
and called 911.

Certainly I don't want to get someone in trouble for taking a walk, but
anybody who knocks on a door with a dog warning, late at night, and sees a
big dog in full protect mode, and yet proceeds to wait and ask directions,
seems to be not quite right. The 911 operator agreed that I was properly
cautious. I may never know any more about the incident, but maybe I
prevented something more serious. Even if I only helped an inebriated or
mentally compromised individual avoid becoming road kill, it was probably
the right thing to do. Or maybe I interfered with Darwinian selection.

Anyway, I feel safer having Muttley with me tonight.

Paul and "guard dog" Muttley

Old July 4th 07, 06:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Many Dogs \(flick\)

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message

snipped

Just a few minutes ago, Muttley heard something, and barked to alert me. I
heard some noise on the front porch, and I thought I heard someone knock.
This was about 12:15 AM, and I live on a dark, busy road with no safe
place to walk except on private property. So I see some rough looking guy
peeking in the door around the big "Beware of Dog" sign, and my dog is
almost going Cujo as I snap on his leash. I open the door enough to talk
to him, and he asks if this is the road to the watershed. He has a
backpack and he looks disheveled and not quite right. However, he does not
seem threatening, and I tell him that the bridge over the water is about
1/2 mile down the road.

Or maybe I interfered with Darwinian selection.

You may have interfered with your own.

Do Not open the door in such circumstances. Either ignore them or call the
cops.

flick 100785

Old July 4th 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"Many Dogs (flick)" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thinking on it, you're probably right. But he appeared to a pretty scrawny
guy, and having a 75 pound dog at my side may have emboldened me. I'm
usually up late and I've had other late night encounters with people out of
gas or with flat tires, or even a one-time Hollywood actress who wanted to
rent my house so she could do some creative writing. There is no lack of
drama in my life.

Earlier this evening, I was visited by the son of the guy who worked on my
house and got nipped by Muttley. His son, Jon, was scheduled to quit his
low paying day job in mid-June to work for me all summer, doing major
renovations. About two weeks ago he was in a severe motorcycle accident and
lost his foot. He crutched his way into the front yard with his girlfriend
to say hi to me and Muttley. He was also attacked by a dog (a Lab), shortly
before his accident. But we had a nice visit and Muttley was pretty well
behaved, although still a bit fearful. A few milk bones and a package of
ham they fed him helped, but there seems to be a continuing issue that
needs to be worked on.

Paul and Muttley

Old July 4th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

Human_And_Animal_Behavior_Forensic_Sciences_Resea
wrote in message
ups.com...
HOWEDY paul,

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in
message ...

"Many Dogs (flick)" wrote in message
. ..
"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message

snipped

[snip Jerry crap]

Just a few minutes ago, Muttley heard something,
and barked to alert me. I heard some noise on the
front porch, and I thought I heard someone knock.
This was about 12:15 AM, and I live on a dark,
busy road with no safe place to walk except on
private property.

So I see some rough looking guy peeking in
the door around the big "Beware of Dog" sign,

That's pretty rude. I really hate it when folks knock
on the door an try peekin through the window. When
they do that I tell the dogs to watch them and the display
of teeth and the foam comin from their MHOWETHS
usually blocks their view.

THEN I casually open the door an ask if we
can heelp them with sumpthin while "trying"
to restrain the dogs... They seldom stick
arHOWEND to ask any questions.

That's why i figure this guy is nutso.

and my dog is almost going Cujo as I snap
on his leash. I open the door enough to talk
to him, and he asks if this is the road to the
watershed. He has a backpack and he looks
disheveled and not quite right.

[snip, and roll back to earlier visit by a friend]

But we had a nice visit and Muttley was pretty
well behaved, although still a bit fearful.

If your dog is AFRAID it's on accHOWENTA
you been MISHANDLING him, paul {}: ~ (
When your dog shows signs of bein afraid you're
suppHOWESED to PRAISE him and if he does
it again you're suppHOWESED to briefly, non
physically, alternately distract and praise for five
to fifteen seconds and follHOWE THE METHOD
till his fear is EXXXTINGUISHED NEARLY
INSTANTLY.

I have not progressed to this point. Also, I'm not going to fool around
with all that when there's some guy trying to talk to me through the door.

A few milk bones and a package of ham they fed him
helped, but there seems to be a continuing issue that
needs to be worked on.

LIKE THAT, for EXXXAMPLE.

So, I don't allow friends to give my dog food, and I should not give him
treats, "just because"?

[snip]

Offering fearful dogs food BRIBES increases
their FEAR and MISTRUST and may cause
them to attack. Even if Muttley was to accept
the BRIBE you'd be teachin him a very dangerHOWES behavior. Your dog
should NEVER accept food
from strangers.

Or from friends who have asked if it's OK?

[snip]

It seems you haven't read or understood your
manual, paul. Perhaps your "EXXXPERIMENT"
was not sincere?

I was grateful that you made The Manual EZ to
DHOWEN load, HOWEver, it appears that you
didn't learn what you needed to know.

At this time I got to ask that you please REMOVE
your unauthorized copy from your site and if you'd
LIKE, replace it with an authorized copy and STUDY
IT AGAIN in it's ENTIRETY using a text to speech]
reader as instructed.

OK, Jerry, your manual has been removed from my server. I'm not going to
replace it with the version that starts with old newsgroup posts attempting
to discredit others or provide testimonials to your methods. A properly
written manual would present the information required, perhaps with
references to success stories or pertinent information. Good luck getting
people to fumble through the Google archives to download it.

The fact that I never obtained the promised results on Session #1 shows
that there is something wrong with your method. I was going to try the
FPLX, which you later claim was supposed to be done in conjunction with
H&C. But you take the zealot's cop-out and say the failure was caused by
not following subtle directions precisely.

Maybe I'll try the FPLX. I now have the long training leash required, and
maybe the exercise will be of some benefit. But, if anything, I think
Muttley's behavior has become worse since I started this experiment. Maybe
he does not respect me because I've been doing these weird exercises that
make no sense.

So, I will now move on to other methods. Maybe I'll still read some of your
posts, but if you continue to inflate them with long, abusive attempts to
discredit others, it is too hard to separate the signal from the noise, and
if you are actually saying anything, I'll probably miss it. And almost
nobody reads your posts anyway, so you're "preachin' to the wind".

Paul and Muttley

Old July 4th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 11:35:20 -0400, "Paul E. Schoen"
wrote:

[...]
So, I will now move on to other methods.

Boy, I sure didn't see this coming.

Heh.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

"The car bomb you are calling may be switched off - please try again later!"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv..._author_id=322

"We're the government and we're here to help"...kill you.
http://www.qando.net/details.aspx?Entry=6177

Health ca We'd all love to see the plan.
http://www.janegalt.net/archives/009873.html

Don't mess with old farts! Part VI:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...019237681.html

Don't mess with old farts! Part VII:
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...earlog_070621/

"No legislation without explanation!"
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1749152.php

Alarmist global warming claims melt under scientific scrutiny!
http://www.suntimes.com/news/othervi...REF30b.article

Yo, Judith! Watch this: "When your government becomes your doctor"
http://sickandsickermovie.com/
Old July 4th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sionnach

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote:

Certainly I don't want to get someone in trouble for taking a walk, but
anybody who knocks on a door with a dog warning, late at night, and sees a
big dog in full protect mode, and yet proceeds to wait and ask directions,
seems to be not quite right.

Gee. First thing that comes to MY mind, is that the most likely
explanation is that he was out hiking, fishing, or geocaching in the
watershed and got lost**, finally found a road, and knocked on the first
door he saw where there was a light on.
And the fact that your dog was allegedly in "full protect mode" really
doesn't mean much - you DID answer the door, after all, and you DIDN'T sic
the dog on him, so why wouldn't a reasonable person ask you directions???

**The "watershed" referred to is hundreds of acres of protected, publically
owned woods around the Loch Raven Reservoir; the area is roughly triangular,
about 4.5 miles across at the base, and more than 10 miles high.
http://tinyurl.com/34s4u5 The reservoir was created nearly 100 years ago, so
the woods are well-grown, and some areas have dense underbrush.

I hike and geocache there on a regular basis, and it's easy for people to
get lost, especially if you leave the fire roads, accidentally follow a deer
trail which peters out, and/or aren't used to navigating in the woods (which
a lot of people in this fairly urban area aren't). Geocachers are especially
prone to it if they get engrossed in looking at a hand-held GPS, and haven't
had the smarts to waymark where they parked. G
Once or twice I've run into signs of homeless activity, but by and large
the area's too isolated for that, especially at the upper end.

Old July 4th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Sionnach wrote:
I hike and geocache there on a regular basis, and it's easy for people to
get lost, especially if you leave the fire roads, accidentally follow a deer
trail which peters out, and/or aren't used to navigating in the woods (which
a lot of people in this fairly urban area aren't).

It's not uncommon for people to get lost at night when in
woods they know well during the day. A local guy who's
spent a lot of time mapping a nearby WMA and is up there
several times/week was really frightened when he was skiing
at night up there and the batteries on his headlamp died.
He said it was like being someplace completely new.

But, we live in "WE'RE GONNA DIE! WE'RE GONNA DIE! WE'RE
GONNA DIE DIE DIE" times, and people are afraid of shadows.
And, of course, other people.

Old July 4th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Skyjumpr

Paul E. Schoen wrote:
Human_And_Animal_Behavior_Forensic_Sciences_Resea
wrote in message
ups.com...
HOWEDY paul,

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Perhaps you can spring for a real trainer,

Old July 4th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Paul,
Wow, it sounds like you and Muttley had an interesting evening. I
think you assessed the situation correctly. Someone that would approach
your house at that time of night despite the fact that they could see
and hear Muttley must have been some how disturbed.
I live on a dead end road and rarely does anyone show up here by
accident and certainly not in the middle of the night.
I recall when I lived in Mi. two teen lovers being shot dead by an
elderly farmer that lived alone. They apparently ran out of gas or
broke down and walked to the closest farm house they could find to use
the phone. They were in the middle of no where. He became frightened
and thought they were up to no good and killed them on the spot. I
would think long and hard before approaching a house in the middle of
the night especially in this day and age when everyone is suspicious of
everyone else. Sometimes with good reason.
I am glad you and Muttley are well.

Free Leonard Peltier!!!!!!!

Be Free.....Judy

I have a visitor Paula Dog behavior 5 August 20th 05 04:08 AM
A First Time Visitor John Ferman Dog rescue 6 May 18th 05 02:09 AM
new visitor culprit Dog behavior 4 November 12th 04 12:08 AM
we had a visitor this morning... culprit Dog behavior 0 November 21st 03 05:44 PM
we had a visitor this morning... culprit Dog behavior 0 November 21st 03 05:44 PM