DHLPP Frequency of vaccination

Old July 5th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Puddin' Man

Default DHLPP Frequency of vaccination

Every year, for my healthy and stable adult (say, 6-10 yr-old) dog,
my vet recommends:

Duramune LGP Leptospirosis $5
DHPP 18

I acceded to this for the last 3+ years.

Now I find that the AAHA publishes canine vaccine guidelines
summarized at:

http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/a...l.jsp?id=46546

Of the core vaccines, the taskforce recommends that the adult dog
receive rabies; canine parvovirus vaccine; canine adenovirus-2
(hepatitis vaccine); and distemper vaccines every three years.

The caveat to the recommendation, says Ford, is that there is good
evidence that the protection conferred in adult dogs by both canine
distemper and canine parvovirus exceeds five years.

Three years seemed a conservative, happy medium for all parties
involved, according to the taskforce.

DHLPP is Distemper, Hepatitis (CAV-2), Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza,
Parvovirus (combined canine vaccine)

Does my dog need DHLPP every year? If so, why?

Thanks,
Peetie

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller
Old July 10th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Dale Atkin

Does my dog need DHLPP every year? If so, why?

Probably not. If I were you, I'd ask your vet why he recommends DHLPP
yearly, and not every three years. If they can't satisfy you (and to me, a
response of "OK we can do it every 3 if you like" wouldn't satisfy me), then
I'd change vets.

Possible reasons that might satisfy me:

1. You believe that risks of under vaccinating out weigh the benefits
conferred by a three year cycle.
2. You aren't confident in the research on which these claims are based
(establishing cause and effect can be surprisingly difficult).
3. Kind of goes with #1, and I doubt you'd get the vet to admit it, but I've
a feeling a lot of pet owners wouldn't come in for a yearly checkup with no
vaccines due, so given that you believe an annual checkup is important, in
order to get owners to come in yearly, you put them on a yearly cycle.
4. Local laws - self explanatory. More an issue with rabies though.
5. Prevelance of what you're protecting against. If you're in an area where
parvo- etc is really common, you wouldn't want your dog's protection lapsing
in the slightest. If for whatever reason, the first vaccine didn't take
properly (perhaps timing was wrong, and it was 'eaten' by the immune system
or some such thing), and the length of the vaccine is therefore comprimised,
you wouldn't want to have to count on it acting for 3 years, even if it
*should* last longer, do you really want to risk it? Conversely if in areas
where I take my dog, he isn't likely to come in contact with any of these
diseases (even if completely unvaccinated), then sure rely on the vaccine to
last 3-5 years.

Bearing in mind all of the above, the vaccine protocol my guys are on is,

Rabies - Booster at 1 year, and then every 3 years after
DA2PP - Same deal
Bordetella - every year.

I'm thinking my old guy is probably more or less done with vaccines. He was
probably vaccinated just about every year of his life growing up (before I
got him), and he'll be 14 when his next Rabies/DA2PP comes up (assuming he
makes it that far... he's a lab). Don't know if I feel like challenging his
immune system at that stage in his life.

Dale

Old July 10th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Puddin' Man

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 02:07:00 GMT, "Dale Atkin" wrote:

Does my dog need DHLPP every year? If so, why?

Probably not. If I were you, I'd ask your vet why he recommends DHLPP
yearly, and not every three years. If they can't satisfy you (and to me, a
response of "OK we can do it every 3 if you like" wouldn't satisfy me), then
I'd change vets.

Possible reasons that might satisfy me:

1. You believe that risks of under vaccinating out weigh the benefits
conferred by a three year cycle.

To include a rational explanation of such risks.

2. You aren't confident in the research on which these claims are based
(establishing cause and effect can be surprisingly difficult).

That'd be akin to challenging the efficacy of the AAHA. Very hard
to swallow, methinks.

3. Kind of goes with #1, and I doubt you'd get the vet to admit it, but I've
a feeling a lot of pet owners wouldn't come in for a yearly checkup with no
vaccines due, so given that you believe an annual checkup is important, in
order to get owners to come in yearly, you put them on a yearly cycle.

Yeah, and some owners likely confuse legal requirements for rabies with
DHLPP.

I've never, ever gone over a year without a vet exam, and I've had
some -ridiculously- healthy dogs.

4. Local laws - self explanatory. More an issue with rabies though.

Rabies only, here.

5. Prevelance of what you're protecting against. If you're in an area where
parvo- etc is really common, you wouldn't want your dog's protection lapsing
in the slightest. If for whatever reason, the first vaccine didn't take
properly (perhaps timing was wrong, and it was 'eaten' by the immune system
or some such thing), and the length of the vaccine is therefore comprimised,
you wouldn't want to have to count on it acting for 3 years, even if it
*should* last longer, do you really want to risk it? Conversely if in areas
where I take my dog, he isn't likely to come in contact with any of these
diseases (even if completely unvaccinated), then sure rely on the vaccine to
last 3-5 years.

OK. I'd likely have heard of any common problem in my area, but it
won't hurt to ask the vet. Which I'll do.

Bearing in mind all of the above, the vaccine protocol my guys are on is,

Rabies - Booster at 1 year, and then every 3 years after

And only one formulation, I'll wager. I think my vet still markets
a "1-year" and a (higher priced) "3-Year" vacc. I'm reasonably certain
they are the same thing. Not that it'd much matter, but I wonder if
such practice is 100% legal.

DA2PP - Same deal
Bordetella - every year.

Your protocol sounds quite reasonable to me.

I'm thinking my old guy is probably more or less done with vaccines. He was
probably vaccinated just about every year of his life growing up (before I
got him), and he'll be 14 when his next Rabies/DA2PP comes up (assuming he
makes it that far... he's a lab).

Mine will be 13, which might be very near her life expectancy.

Don't know if I feel like challenging his
immune system at that stage in his life.

I suspect you will make the rational choice.

Also suspect you are taking very good care of your furry critters.

Much thanks for your response: it was very helpful.

Salut,
Puddin'

Old July 16th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary
Hillary Israeli

*
*That'd be akin to challenging the efficacy of the AAHA. Very hard
*to swallow, methinks.

Er - what exactly is "the efficacy of the AAHA" please? The efficacy of
them doing what?

The AAHA is an accrediting body, a professional club if you will comprised
of veterinarian and veterinary hospital members who, by joining, gain
access to certain continuing education opportunities, professional
discounts on various seminars and other things, get to receive a
newsletter, and get to claim membership. It's not an academic body by any
stretch.

*And only one formulation, I'll wager. I think my vet still markets
*a "1-year" and a (higher priced) "3-Year" vacc. I'm reasonably certain
*they are the same thing. Not that it'd much matter, but I wonder if
*such practice is 100% legal.

Most of the practice acts I've reviewed state that such things are at the
discretion of the veterinarian - as in, a veterinarian can use a 3-yr
product in a patient and say that he is only issuing a 1-year certificate
based on his professional judgement. Of course the most recent compendium
on rabies prophylaxis that I read says something along the lines of "no
data exists to support the practice of using the 3-year licensed product
annually" or some such, so to me, it's not a defensible practice on a
routine basis, but I know there are those who disagree.

h.
--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth