can go down stairs but not up

Old July 5th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default can go down stairs but not up

Yesterday my dog (german shorthair) came up kinda lame. She is
walking fine, not running so well, and is fine going down stairs, but
won't go up more than two stairs. She definately has something going
on with her right hind quarter that doesn't allow her to push up.
Just wondering what it could be.

I figure that I'll give it a couple of days to see if she can shake it
off, before calling the vet.

thanks,
tim

Old July 5th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Jul 5, 1:01 pm, Rocky wrote:
said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Yesterday my dog (german shorthair) came up kinda lame.
She is walking fine, not running so well, and is fine going
down stairs, but won't go up more than two stairs. She
definately has something going on with her right hind
quarter that doesn't allow her to push up. Just wondering
what it could be.

I figure that I'll give it a couple of days to see if she
can shake it off, before calling the vet.

Thank you for reporting on your last few days and your upcoming
schedule. Please report back when you have a question about a
dog in dire need.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

I apologize that it may not be an immediate problem, but it is a
concern and I was asking what anyone thought it could be OR if anyone
had experienced anything like this with their dog. Besides, if it was
a dog in dire need she'd have already been to vet and I wouldn't be
fishing.

Old July 5th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
shelly

Janet Boss wrote:

One of my dogs had a day where he wouldn't put one foot down. I
inspected it, watched him closely (i.e. stayed at home) and finally took
him off to the vet THAT DAY so I could have peace of mind if nothing
else. Leaving the house or "going fishing" would not be on my list of
choices.

I didn't take the "going fishing" literally. I assumed it meant
"fishing for information." Anyway, with lameness, I might wait a
day or two to see if it corrected itself with rest, assuming the dog
didn't show any signs of being in pain. If the dog seemed
uncomfortable, or stressed, or in pain, I'd go to the vet
immediately. It's impossible to guess what sort of condition the
OP's dog is in, so it's impossible to give him any useful answer.

That said, I tend to think that if you have to ask for advice[1]
from a bunch of strangers who have not seen your dog, then you
probably ought to take your dog to the vet.

[1] I'm unclear on what the OP wanted, actually.

--
Shelly
Old July 5th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore

In article ,
Rocky wrote:
Minor soft tissue damage has a way of becoming
major surgery when ignored.

What are you thinking of, specifically?

If it's minor I wait, myself. If it's not minor we're off
to the vet. In a case where a dog is unable to function
normally (including negotiating steps) or is in pain beyond
limping modestly, I don't consider it minor. However, my
dogs are in a sport where they're unlikely to have injuries
caused by lateral oopsies that are more likely to lead to
actual tears and more likely to have compression/impact
injuries, while you're in a sport where the dogs are turning
a lot at high speeds.

Old July 5th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore

In article ,
Rocky wrote:
ACL. A friend's dog had some sort of ACL trauma, needed a good
deal of off-time (good luck with an active dog), wrecked it
further jumping off the porch, and then needed surgery.

Okay, but it sounds like it was failure to keep the dog
quiet that was the problem, rather than failure to see the
vet. What I'd have done in response to the first gimpiness
depends on how serious it was, where it was, etc., but if
the dog didn't settle down it would have been crated (been
there, done that).

But, in this particular case, I'd take the dog to the vet.
Being unable to deal with the stairs is a red flag for me.

Old July 7th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
silvercelt

On 6 Jul, 03:18, Rocky wrote:
(Melinda Shore) said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

ACL. A friend's dog had some sort of ACL trauma, needed a
good deal of off-time (good luck with an active dog),
wrecked it further jumping off the porch, and then needed
surgery.

Okay, but it sounds like it was failure to keep the dog
quiet that was the problem, rather than failure to see the
vet.

Yes, unlike the original post, where the decision was made to
give time for the dog to shake it off.

But, in this particular case, I'd take the dog to the vet.
Being unable to deal with the stairs is a red flag for me.

Yes.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

My old dog had opposite problem, she could get up the stairs but not
down. That was due to old age and she was becoming weak on her hind
legs. I hope your dog gets better. Lameness can sometimes heal on
it's own.