Guard Dog

Old July 6th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Justin Van Dyken

Default Guard Dog

Justin Van Dyken wrote:

OK, I have a question for all of you experiance pet owners. I am
looking for the best breed of dog what makes both a good guard
dog...AND....is good with young children. Does such a breed exist?

Thank you,

Justin Van Dyken

Old July 6th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Justin Van Dyken" wrote in message
ups.com...
OK, I have a question for all of you experiance pet owners. I am
looking for the best breed of dog what makes both a good guard
dog...AND....is good with young children. Does such a breed exist?

For the OP - what you are looking for is (and I'm guessing here) more common
than you might think. However, it's a much a personal characteristic of an
individual dogs as it is a breed. Many dogs become bonded to their children
and will go to great lengths to protect them if they perceive a threat. And
yet, they can be extremely friendly to people as a whole. I've had mutts
that filled this order to perfection. A beagle/lab mix that I had in high
school was exactly this. Couch potato, great dog for walks, not much on
ball retrieving but always liked to hang around a group of kids. And yet if
someone came to the door, he was always right there - with a low growl when
appropriate. The only person he ever bit was a kid in a backyard football
game - I had the ball and the kid was trying to tackle me. Left a couple of
tooth marks in the kid's rear. Come to think of it - did that make him not
so good with kids?

I guess it also comes down to three questions - 1) Are you looking for a
guard dog or a watch dog or just one who may be somewhat protective of his
pack? And 2) what do you mean by "good with young children"? Does this
mean playing with them directly? Allowing them to climb all over him with
no teeth bared or warning growl? Or just tolerant of well-behaved children
and their friends passing through the house? And 3) What is *your*
experience training dogs and living with them?

I'm NOT suggesting the breed for this person because I don't know anything
more about it other than what I just read in the AKC Gazette BUT -

Does anyone know anything about the Beauceron? According to the Gazette
article I just read, this breed is both a good guard dog and is good with
young children - especially his own. They are also a high energy herding
breed - to an extent that rules them out for most households. However,
anyone have any personal experience with the breed?

Judy

Old July 6th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Marcel Beaudoin

in rec.pets.dogs.behavior, Justin Van Dyken wrote in
ups.com:

OK, I have a question for all of you experiance pet owners. I am
looking for the best breed of dog what makes both a good guard
dog...AND....is good with young children. Does such a breed exist?

What do you mean by guard dog??

--
Marcel Beaudoin and Moogli
Old July 6th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Justin Van Dyken

On Jul 6, 9:59 am, Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
in rec.pets.dogs.behavior, Justin Van Dyken wrote roups.com:

OK, I have a question for all of you experiance pet owners. I am
looking for the best breed of dog what makes both a good guard
dog...AND....is good with young children. Does such a breed exist?

What do you mean by guard dog??

--
Marcel Beaudoin and Moogli

Justin Van Dyken wrote:

OK, I should give a little more information. I had a dog a mutt
really, rescued him from the pound, he was a sharp/golden retreiver
mix. Came out looking just like a pitbull. We had to give him to a
family member when we moved out of state. But he was the perfect
guard dog. Looked aggresive, wide,musclular, if someone came around
that he didnt know, he would show teeth, bark, his hair would stick
up. Very mean looking.....BUT......he never,ever bit. It was all a
big show, and very convicing. All the bennefits of a guard
dog....none of the liability. He was great with kids, they could pull
his ears, hank on his fur.......he didnt care, he loved it. Also,
very intelligent, I only had to teach him something once.
Damn.......I miss that dog....think I am gonna cry. So anyway........

I want a dog just like him.....but I cant, he was a mix. So I am
trying to find something like him.

Justin

Old July 6th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Justin Van Dyken wrote:

We had to give him to a family member when we moved out of state.

I don't understand how people can do that, but I guess there must be
compelling reasons. And, it seems to me that it would have been
easier to keep the perfect dog you had, instead of looking for a
replacement.

But he was the perfect guard dog. Looked aggresive,
wide,musclular, if someone came around that he didnt know, he
would show teeth, bark, his hair would stick up. Very mean
looking.....BUT......he never,ever bit. It was all a big show,
and very convicing. All the bennefits of a guard dog....none of
the liability.

Most medium-large breeds that are generally good with kids would
make people think twice before trespassing on your property. I
think the more important questions are what sort of training can you
give the dog, how much time can you realistically spend with it, how
much exercise will you be able to provide, what sort of dog
personality do you prefer, etc. Basically, what kind of dog do you
want to share your home with?

He was great with kids, they could pull his ears, hank on his
fur.......he didnt care, he loved it.

He may not have complained, but I do not believe he "loved" it.
Anyway, I wouldn't let my dog be treated that way by kids. If they
can't stop themselves from mistreating my dog, then they don't get
to be around her.

Also, very intelligent, I only had to teach him something once.
Damn.......I miss that dog....think I am gonna cry. So
anyway........

I want a dog just like him.....but I cant, he was a mix. So I am
trying to find something like him.

I would be *shocked* if your local shelters weren't full of dogs
like him.

--
Shelly
Old July 6th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Marcel Beaudoin

in rec.pets.dogs.behavior, Justin Van Dyken wrote in
ps.com:

But he was the perfect
guard dog. Looked aggresive, wide,musclular, if someone came around
that he didnt know, he would show teeth, bark, his hair would stick
up. Very mean looking.....BUT......he never,ever bit. It was all a
big show, and very convicing. All the bennefits of a guard
dog....none of the liability. He was great with kids, they could pull
his ears, hank on his fur.......he didnt care, he loved it. Also,
very intelligent, I only had to teach him something once.
Damn.......I miss that dog....think I am gonna cry. So anyway........

I want a dog just like him.....but I cant, he was a mix. So I am
trying to find something like him.

My suggestion is similar to Shelly's:

1 - Go to a rescue organization.
2 - Ask for a big dog that is good with kids.
3 - Train dog to bark/growl/snarl on command.

--
Marcel Beaudoin and Moogli
Old July 6th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

My suggestion is similar to Shelly's:

1 - Go to a rescue organization.
2 - Ask for a big dog that is good with kids.
3 - Train dog to bark/growl/snarl on command.

I would personally omit #3. Just the presence of a largish dog is
often enough to make people think twice. My own observations are
that folks who are leery of larger dogs are plenty intimidated by
mine, even though she almost never vocalizes at people. Those who
are not leery of larger dogs wouldn't be put off by her if she *did*
bark.

--
Shelly
Old July 6th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Justin Van Dyken

On Jul 6, 11:04 am, Shelly wrote:
Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
My suggestion is similar to Shelly's:

1 - Go to a rescue organization.
2 - Ask for a big dog that is good with kids.
3 - Train dog to bark/growl/snarl on command.

I would personally omit #3. Just the presence of a largish dog is
often enough to make people think twice. My own observations are
that folks who are leery of larger dogs are plenty intimidated by
mine, even though she almost never vocalizes at people. Those who
are not leery of larger dogs wouldn't be put off by her if she *did*
bark.

--
Shellyhttp://www.cat-sidh.net(the Mother Ship)http://esther.cat-sidh.net(Letters to Esther)

Shelly, you dont understand because, as you said...... you dont
know.......so please.....withhold judgement. My last dog ran free on
7 acres,he was a big dog that needed space. We moved to a out of
state subdivision, on a building lot. We gave him to my Uncle who
has a 20 acre farm. We were thinking of our dog.......not of
ourselves. That is why "people, like us" do that.

Justin

Old July 6th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Justin Van Dyken wrote:

Shelly, you dont understand because, as you said...... you dont
know.......so please.....withhold judgement.

Lordy! *What* judgment? I just said that I wouldn't teach my dog
to bark/growl/snarl on command.

My last dog ran free on 7 acres,he was a big dog that needed space.

All dogs need exercise, but no dog *needs* seven acres to run free on.

We moved to a out of
state subdivision, on a building lot. We gave him to my Uncle who
has a 20 acre farm. We were thinking of our dog.......not of
ourselves. That is why "people, like us" do that.

Once again, I wouldn't do what you did. How what I would or would
not do is a judgment of your actions baffles me.

--
Shelly
Old July 6th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Shelly" wrote in message:

Just the presence of a largish dog is
often enough to make people think twice.

I'd agree with this. My brother has a 70 pound fluffy black dog whose
mission in life is to fly under the radar; wouldn't hurt a fly, and doesn't
bark either. People cross the street when they see him, to get away. Khan
who is actively afraid of people scares the heck out of them although he
does nothing to make people scared. I think that any larger, darker colored
dog that is good with kids (although I don't think any dog should be asked
to put up with the sort of behavior described) would more than likely be
fine in this situation.

Suja

Guard dog Terri Dog behavior 9 May 24th 07 04:01 PM
Help; my little body guard E. Carl Speros Dog behavior 1 December 29th 06 06:15 PM