Training Issues

Old July 9th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Hemalatha S

Default Training Issues

Hi
We adopted a 1+ chow-lab mix about a week back from a shelter. She is
adorable and seems to be trained very well. She follows basic commands
like Sits Stay and waits till we take her out of the house for her
potty. But I am worried about some aspects of ehr behaviour and do not
know how to control it.
She seems TOO friendly gets very excited when she sees kids or other
animals. Controlling her then is really tough. She starts barking,
whining, pulling at her leash, going round in circles - all to reach
the other dog / kid. Her behaviour is slightly scary / aggressive adn
the other animals tend to react accordingly. I am guessing that she
wants to play (since she must have been with 2-3 dogs back at the
shelter in her crate), but I am not sure if other dog owners / parents
are going to understand that. Also, she gets very excited when playing
and starts nipping and scratching.
Please help....

Thanks in advance
Hema

Old July 9th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy

in thread ups.com:
Hemalatha S whittled the following words:

[...]

You need to enroll this dog into a "Good" obedience program. (Petsmart
.... hire off the street -no experience necessary- does not count.)
The purpose is to observe your handling of the dog and correct handling
issues, improve timing, and teach you how to establish a pattern of
training a dog that will last a lifetime. Timing and consitancy is
crucial and cannot be done on line. Doing this in a distracting
environment while still obtaining is attention and compliance will hasten
the progress.

None of these things can be accomplished on line.