Is this walk too long?

Old July 9th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default Is this walk too long?

Hi, my wife and I are first time dog owners. Our puppy, Hoola, is a
four-month old miniature Australian Shepherd. He's a great dog-
intelligent, good tempered, energetic.

Very, very energetic.

Long story short, I recently began talking him on long walks on most
morning. My guess is that it's just under three miles. It takes us a
little over an hour to complete. When we get home he gets pretty
rambunctious for about five or ten minutes, goes potty, drinks some
water, then goes to sleep for about four hours. On most afternoons,
my nephew comes over and plays with him again for half an hour, too.

I get the feeling that the official answer is, "Yes, the walk is too
long!" But he really seems like a happier puppy on the days that we
go for our long walk. Several short walks during the day, even with
nephew time, still seem to leave him a little, overwrought, glowing
ball of energy at the end of the day.

Thanks,

Russ

Old July 10th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

I don't think it's too long. If he were stopping part way through and
refusing to walk then I'd say yes but you don't mention anything about that.
As long as it's cool out in the moring and not temperatures in the 80's I
wouldn't think this was too much.

Dogs need excercise and you already noticed on days where he doesn't get as
much he's wound up more.

Celeste

ups.com...

Old July 10th 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

"Gary" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 14:02:48 -0700, wrote:

I get the feeling that the official answer is, "Yes, the walk is too
long!" But he really seems like a happier puppy on the days that we
go for our long walk. Several short walks during the day, even with
nephew time, still seem to leave him a little, overwrought, glowing
ball of energy at the end of the day.

Thanks,

Russ

When my Airedale was 3 months, we brought him to the dog park. He ran
and played over an hour...and he slept for 2 days afterwards.

I've heard some breeds will keep up humans just because it's in their
nature, and sometimes can exhaust themselves afterwards. Just keep an
eye on him.

I was hiking with friends quite a few years ago and we encountered a young
guy and his very friendly, energetic young dog, running happily off-leash.
Later we saw them again, down by the stream, where the dog was on its side,
panting heavily, and the poor guy was very distraught. We did what we
could, but we heard later that the dog died. It was a fairly warm day, but
not terrible. However, the dog was not much more than a pup, maybe 6 months
or so, and apparently was just so excited to be running with his buddy that
he overexerted himself. One of my hiking buddies was more experienced with
dogs, and said that young dogs who are not fully developed can get into
trouble like that.

I have heard that a dog's temperature can spike quite high during exercise.
I wonder if there is a way to monitor it occasionally to prevent this?

Paul and Muttley

Old July 10th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Paul E. Schoen wrote:
I have heard that a dog's temperature can spike quite high during exercise.
I wonder if there is a way to monitor it occasionally to prevent this?

Here in the 21st century we have this new-fangled invention
called a "thermometer." Many of those of us who are active
with our dogs carry one in this other gizmo commonly
referred to as a "first aid kit."

How a dog responds to heat is an individual thing.
Hyperthermia is a terrible, terrible thing but it won't
usually kill the dog. It can, however, cause brain damage
and interfere with the dog's ability to thermoregulate in
the future (i.e. the dog is more likely to overheat again).

I have double-coated arctic dogs and so I'm careful about
not asking the dogs to do much if it's warm out (although
one of the dogs is fine jogging with me up to about 75F,
depending on the humidity). However, in general I do not
think an off-leash walk of several miles, where the dog sets
its own pace, will be harmful to a younger dog. In warmer
weather it's a good idea to give the dog water more often.

I question whether or not the dog you saw actually died from
heat stress, from your description.

Old July 10th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On 10 Jul 2007 07:01:34 -0400, (Melinda Shore) wrote:

I have double-coated arctic dogs and so I'm careful about
not asking the dogs to do much if it's warm out (although
one of the dogs is fine jogging with me up to about 75F,
depending on the humidity).

This reminds me again of something I've been meaning to post for
awhile. Mukluk and Tasha used to spend a lot of time outdoors in all
types of weather. In the summer, they'd lie on the asphalt until they
were well-baked, come inside and cool off, and then go back out and
start over again. They tolerated the heat much better than my
sighthounds, and I always believed it was because of their double
coats. Mukluk was partially shaved last summer because of a
persistent staph infection; Tasha died on April 28. Mukluk hasn't
spent more than 5-10 minutes at a time outside this summer, even
though it hasn't been a particularly hot summer, and I don't think
it's because Tasha is gone, because he was always content to hang out
alone before.

Of course, I'm not advocating leaving double-coated dogs or any other
dogs outside in the heat. It's just interesting how the double coat
really does insulate from both cold and heat.

Mustang Sally