Hendrix went for a swim

Old July 10th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

Default Hendrix went for a swim

and dangit, my camera and I missed it! I was back in my office working
when my daughter knocked on my door, holding a very wet, very wiggly puppy.

I bought him a little baby pool this weekend at Petsmart. Until today, all
he and Roxy have done is drink out of it. (Roxy is most definitely not a
swimmer.) My daughter was sitting next to the pool with her feet in it,
cooling off, when Hendrix suddenly dove in and started splashing around and
'swimming.' Apparently this entailed rolling around in the water and
running in circles as well as jumping in and out. She said it was
hilarious, and the two of them are soaking wet.

I am going to get him a bigger pool.

One of the things I love most about Hendrix is that he is bold and
fearless, but not the least bit pushy. He's a total gem and I'm pinching
myself because I can't believe my good fortune.

Roxy has been uncharacteristically calm since we brought Hendrix home.
She's been sweet to him, and very tolerant, but she wasn't getting wild at
all like usual. Their play was very low key. Until last night. They
finally went full bore zoom-zoomies together and it was a riot. He has no
hope of keeping up with her, so she started tightening up the radius on her
circle zoomies in order to stay closer to him. They had a blast. He seems
to really love Roxy--he follows her everywhere when they are together. I
wasn't sure at first how she felt about him, if she was just tolerating
him, or what, but now I'm convinced the feeling is mutual.

--
Lynne
Old July 11th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Lynne wrote:
and dangit, my camera and I missed it! I was back in my office working
when my daughter knocked on my door, holding a very wet, very wiggly puppy.

I bought him a little baby pool this weekend at Petsmart. Until today, all
he and Roxy have done is drink out of it. (Roxy is most definitely not a
swimmer.) My daughter was sitting next to the pool with her feet in it,
cooling off, when Hendrix suddenly dove in and started splashing around and
'swimming.' Apparently this entailed rolling around in the water and
running in circles as well as jumping in and out. She said it was
hilarious, and the two of them are soaking wet.

I am going to get him a bigger pool.

How totally cute! How old is Hendrix?

Oppie used to love to wallow in the kiddie pool we bought for him
and Dylan. He'd get in there and just roll around in the water.
I wished we had something deeper for him. (Now, after LP
surgery, he is not allowed in water, because of the inhalation risk.)

Is there a lake or ocean anywhere near you where you can take
Hendrix swimming when he gets older?

FurPaw

--
It will be a great day when our schools get all the money they
need and the Army has to hold a bake sale to buy a tank.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old July 11th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Lynne wrote:

and dangit, my camera and I missed it! I was back in my office working
when my daughter knocked on my door, holding a very wet, very wiggly puppy.

I bought him a little baby pool this weekend at Petsmart. Until today, all
he and Roxy have done is drink out of it. (Roxy is most definitely not a
swimmer.) My daughter was sitting next to the pool with her feet in it,
cooling off, when Hendrix suddenly dove in and started splashing around and
'swimming.' Apparently this entailed rolling around in the water and
running in circles as well as jumping in and out. She said it was
hilarious, and the two of them are soaking wet.

I am going to get him a bigger pool.

When Connor and Molly (BCs) were puppies I bought them a wading pool.
Because there was no senior dog in residence to demonstrate to them what
to do with it I had to show them myself.

So I jumped in the pool and was stomping and splashing and squeaking a
squeaky toy and calling and encouraging the puppies, who were barking madly.

Right about then I looked up to see our back door neighbor standing on
his deck watching. There was a muffled query from inside the house and
he called back, "Ah don't know. Ah think she's teachin' the dawgs to swim".

Old July 12th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:40:16 GMT, FurPaw wrote:

How totally cute! How old is Hendrix?

He is 8 1/2 weeks old.

Oppie used to love to wallow in the kiddie pool we bought for him
and Dylan. He'd get in there and just roll around in the water.

We can hardly keep Hendrix out!

I wished we had something deeper for him. (Now, after LP
surgery, he is not allowed in water, because of the inhalation risk.)

That understandable. Poor Oppie.

Is there a lake or ocean anywhere near you where you can take
Hendrix swimming when he gets older?

We are land locked here, but there are some larger ponds nearby and also
the Red River as well as some small tributaries where we spend our
weekends. I suspect he's going to discover them all!

I'm going to look into something bigger for the backyard. I have no idea
how big he'll get, but I'm sure I can get something that will make him
happy this year.

--
Lynne
Old July 12th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:41:33 GMT, Kathleen
wrote:

When Connor and Molly (BCs) were puppies I bought them a wading pool.
Because there was no senior dog in residence to demonstrate to them
what to do with it I had to show them myself.

So I jumped in the pool and was stomping and splashing and squeaking a
squeaky toy and calling and encouraging the puppies, who were barking
madly.

Right about then I looked up to see our back door neighbor standing on
his deck watching. There was a muffled query from inside the house
and he called back, "Ah don't know. Ah think she's teachin' the dawgs
to swim".

Ha ha! Too cute. I wish I had done that with Roxy. She'll cross streams,
but she's not the least bit interested in playing in the water.

--
Lynne
Old July 14th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

So I jumped in the pool and was stomping and splashing and squeaking a
squeaky toy and calling and encouraging the puppies, who were barking
madly.

Right about then I looked up to see our back door neighbor standing on his
deck watching. There was a muffled query from inside the house and he
called back, "Ah don't know. Ah think she's teachin' the dawgs to swim".

that's a great story, gave me a much needed laugh today!