im going to hell for this but..

Old July 11th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Leo G.

Default im going to hell for this but..

My dog is 16 years old arthritic and sometimes incontinent. She has no
immediate life threatening illness but I just can't take care of her
anymore. I worked at home for several years and was able to watch
over her but recently I got a well paying job but it requires me to be
away from her for 12-14 hours a day. When I come home she's barely
able to walk because she probably has been pacing all day and has been
clawing at the door trying to get in. Its been over a week now and
it's really taking a toll on her and it's not getting better. I have a
feeling she has even started eating her own feces which she hasn't
done in years.

This is really breaking my heart but I can't lose this job. I can't
give her away and the only other option is putting her down... I don't
even think vets would put down a dog that isn't terminally sick would
they? I know she's miserable being alone and I really haven't even
given much thought about putting her down until now.. I wanted to take
care of her until she died naturally but now.. i don't know. I've had
her since a puppy and she's had a pretty good life i think... is it
time?
Old July 11th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Leo G. wrote:
is it time?

I don't think that keeping a dog alive who's profoundly
unhappy is doing it any favors. There are be companionship
options that may or may not work for your particular dog and
your particular circumstances, including having somebody
drop by to spend time with her, or doggie daycare (which
brings its own set of stresses). But again, the question
for me would be whether or not the dog is deeply and
uniformly unhappy.

Old July 11th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Leo G." wrote in message
My dog is 16 years old arthritic and sometimes incontinent. She has no
immediate life threatening illness but I just can't take care of her
anymore. I worked at home for several years and was able to watch
over her but recently I got a well paying job

.........If the job is well paying can't you pay for a companion for her for
a good portion of the day?

has been
clawing at the door trying to get in.

.........she's outside 24/7? I'd at least try doggy day care or find someone
to come to your home. If she's totally miserable despite alternatives to
staying alone for hours on end, then it may be time to consider euthanasia.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old July 11th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Leo G." wrote in message:

My dog is 16 years old arthritic and sometimes incontinent.

There are medications to help with both conditions that would allow her to
have a better quality of life.

recently I got a well paying job but it requires me to be
away from her for 12-14 hours a day.

If this is stressing her out, look into other options. Maybe you can have a
dog walker come by a couple of times a day, or there are some nice seniors
or college/High School students in your area that can look in on her or
otherwise spend time with her. I know that some of the doggie daycares in
my area keep some of their senior dogs at the front desk with the staff,
since they're just looking for some human companionship and don't
particularly care to run around with the younger dogs. There are also
products out there like Rescue Remedy that are supposed to help take the
edge off for dogs that are stressed.

is it time?

Only you can answer that. If you've done everything you can to make her
comfortable, and it isn't working, perhaps it would be time to considering
euthanizing her.

Suja

Old July 11th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article ,
Leo G. wrote:

This is really breaking my heart but I can't lose this job. I can't
give her away and the only other option is putting her down...

Not really. You can keep her safely indoors (seniors don't regulate
their temperature real well) and hire a petsiter to come in a few times
a day. No excuse with the new job, right?

--
Janet Boss
Old July 11th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Marcel Beaudoin

in rec.pets.dogs.health, Leo G. wrote in
:

I can't
give her away and the only other option is putting her down..

Why can't you give her away?? I would look into rescue organisations in
your area and talk to them. There might be one that would take a senior dog
due to their more laid back personality, plus a good knowledge of their
habits, likes and dislikes.

--
Marcel Beaudoin and Moogli
Old July 12th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball

On 11 Jul 2007 20:16:23 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
wrote:

I can't give her away and the only other option is putting her down..

Why can't you give her away?...

Far too many people bring their senior dogs to the animal shelter. The
dogs are sometimes fixed, current on shots and even pretty, but you
can't give them away--because of their age.

___________________
A dog's life is too short; their only fault really.
Old July 12th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:09:05 GMT, Leo G. wrote:

My dog is 16 years old arthritic and sometimes incontinent. She has no
immediate life threatening illness but I just can't take care of her
anymore.... is it time?

I don't believe you'll go to hell for this.

I consider your job very close to irrelevant here.

Through technology, and money, pets--and people--are often kept alive
longer than they wish to be alive.

Note: it seems most vets will do practically anything, for a fee. Note
the qualifiers, please.

________________________
Whatever it takes.
Old July 12th 07, 09:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
A. Brain

"Marcel Beaudoin" wrote in message
. 1.4...
in rec.pets.dogs.health, Leo G. wrote in
:

I can't
give her away and the only other option is putting her down..

Why can't you give her away?? I would look into rescue organisations
in
your area and talk to them. There might be one that would take a
senior dog
due to their more laid back personality, plus a good knowledge of
their
habits, likes and dislikes.

Well, my vet here has been so far unsuccessful in
placing a really nice ten-year old miniature schnauzer,
as I posted here recently. Apparently, even the rescue
society is not interested in helping.

A ten-year old healthy miniature schnauzer can be
expected to live another five to seven years.

He's a really nice dog too.
--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.

Old July 12th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Judy

"A. Brain" wrote in message
Well, my vet here has been so far unsuccessful in
placing a really nice ten-year old miniature schnauzer,
as I posted here recently. Apparently, even the rescue
society is not interested in helping.

Where are you? A ten year old but otherwise healthy miniature schnauzer
shouldn't be something that a miniature schnauzer rescue group would avoid.

A ten-year old healthy miniature schnauzer can be
expected to live another five to seven years.

Uh, not likely. A seventeen year old miniature schnauzer is pretty
impressive. The average lifespan is around 14 or 15. That still gives an
adopter five years - probably four before the old age stuff starts really
weighing in.

--
Judy
Spenser - Carbor Talk of the Town, MX, AXJ, NF

The Week From Hell sighthounds & siberians Dog behavior 17 July 30th 05 04:31 PM
Bat out of hell Chris Dog behavior 3 May 12th 04 01:49 AM
Bat out of hell Chris Dog behavior 0 May 11th 04 12:10 AM
Bat out of hell Chris Dog behavior 0 May 11th 04 12:10 AM
Eating Dogs? What the hell? New DeLucia Dog health 2 October 23rd 03 09:42 AM