Help in posting

Old July 11th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

Default Help in posting

This morning - and not for the first time - I have had trouble responding to
posts in this newsgroup. Other groups work, although obviously not with the
same message.

The error message comes back as "Line 3 too long". I use news individual
net. The error message is 0x800CCA9.

I'd blame it on my wounded computer but this has happened in the past also.

Any ideas?

Judy

Old July 11th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Judy" wrote in message:

The error message comes back as "Line 3 too long". I use news individual
net. The error message is 0x800CCA9.

This is just what I found from googling.

Apparently, what you're seeing is a long-standing Outlook Express problem.
As the thread gets deeper, the reference line in the header gets longer, and
since OE can only handle a maximum of 1000 characters, it eventually gets
too long. Hence the error. The 0x800CCCA9 stuff is a generic 'Failed to
Post' type of error.

Suja

Old July 11th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:03:14 -0400, "Judy"
wrote:

This morning - and not for the first time - I have had trouble responding to
posts in this newsgroup. Other groups work, although obviously not with the
same message.

The error message comes back as "Line 3 too long". I use news individual
net. The error message is 0x800CCA9.

I'd blame it on my wounded computer but this has happened in the past also.

Any ideas?

I think your problem might be with Outlook Express, not with
News.Individual.net.
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm

See bottom of page.

But I'm not all that familiar with OE.

The ideal solution would be to toss OE and use something like:

Agent($29)
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

Xnews(freeware)
http://xnews.newsguy.com/

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Finally located! A woman for Paul Schoen!
http://www.reuters.com/news/video/vi...?videoId=59730

Ten Politically Incorrect Truths About Human Nature. Heh.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...622-000002.xml

Hating America.
http://www.hudsonreview.com/BawerSp04.html
Old July 11th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
Any ideas?

Sure - line 3 is too long (wouldn't it be nice if they
*told* you which header element that was?). The most likely
candidate is the References: header, since it's the one most
likely to grow. Experiment with trimming it (if &^%$!# OE
will allow it), and trim from the front (i.e. remove the
oldest references, leaving the most recent intact).

Old July 11th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
Sure - line 3 is too long (wouldn't it be nice if they
*told* you which header element that was?). The most likely
candidate is the References: header, since it's the one most
likely to grow. Experiment with trimming it (if &^%$!# OE
will allow it), and trim from the front (i.e. remove the
oldest references, leaving the most recent intact).

I tried removing the header information and retyping it - both newsgroups
and subject. I don't see any changes in the reference header - but I typed
it in new anyway.

Sounds like it's an OE problem - although the post I've been trying to
respond to isn't in *that* long of a thread.

Guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the new computer will not have
*that* particular problem. (I KNOW it will have a bunch of its own!)

Thanks for the responses - I knew the collective wisdom and knowledge here
would get me enough information that I can at least understand a little of
what's happening.

Judy

Old July 11th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Melinda Shore wrote:

Sure - line 3 is too long (wouldn't it be nice if they
*told* you which header element that was?). The most likely
candidate is the References: header, since it's the one most
likely to grow. Experiment with trimming it (if &^%$!# OE
will allow it), and trim from the front (i.e. remove the
oldest references, leaving the most recent intact).

Yes, it is the Reference line. No, OE does not allow tinkering with
headers.

There are two ways to circumvent the problem:

1. Copy the post you want to reply to, pick a random post up-thread
that you *can* reply to, and paste over the content. Obviously,
that is a hugely uncool solution.

2. Copy the post you want to reply to, then start a brand new
thread. Again, not a good solution.

I'd recommend a newsreader that is not broken. As Diddy pointed
out, Xnews is free and is not difficult to set up. If you cannot
figure it out, there are several people here who use it and who, I
am sure, would be happy to help.

http://xnews.newsguy.com/

Mozilla Thunderbird is also free, but even though I use it
part-time, I cannot recommend it. About the only thing it *does*
have going for it is that it is that it can handle long reference
lines. One of the many downsides, for Usenetting, is that filtering
is a big ol' pain in the ass.

--
Shelly
Old July 11th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Judy wrote:

Guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the new computer will not have
*that* particular problem. (I KNOW it will have a bunch of its own!)

It will if you use OE on it. Sorry!

--
Shelly
Old July 11th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
I tried removing the header information and retyping it - both newsgroups
and subject. I don't see any changes in the reference header - but I typed
it in new anyway.

It shouldn't change/delete the references: header if you
change the subject, or else it would do the Wrong Thing when
you try to do the Right Thing about thread drift. I guess
Microsoft deserves a great big "congratulations" for having
gotten something in OE right.

Sounds like it's an OE problem - although the post I've been trying to
respond to isn't in *that* long of a thread.

It's not the number of referenced articles but the total
number of characters in the header. Some mutant news
systems produce ugly, long message-ids and they're what's
triggering the problem (which remains 100% Microsoft's
fault) in threads with shallow references trees.

Old July 11th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Judy wrote:

Sounds like it's an OE problem - although the post I've been trying to
respond to isn't in *that* long of a thread.

I meant to add--it isn't the length of the thread that is the issue,
but the number of the nested replies up-thread from the post you are
replying to. To help visualize it, you can only have so many
outline indents before you run out of horizontal space on your paper.

--
Shelly
Old July 11th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Shelly" wrote in message
I'd recommend a newsreader that is not broken. As Diddy pointed out,
Xnews is free and is not difficult to set up. If you cannot figure it
out, there are several people here who use it and who, I am sure, would be
happy to help.

http://xnews.newsguy.com/

I thought my news.individual.net was not a bad newsreader. Guess with the
new computer - where oh where is it? - I'll have to look into something
else.

I certainly will keep xnews in mind. Thanks.

Judy

posting 20050826 [email protected] Dog breeds 0 August 26th 05 09:57 PM
posting 20050826 [email protected] Dog health 0 August 26th 05 09:36 PM
posting 20050826 [email protected] Dog behavior 0 August 26th 05 06:00 PM
Posting to EGD gina_joe Dog breeds 2 April 1st 04 04:32 AM
I dislike cross posting HUMMER BM Dog behavior 0 November 20th 03 05:50 PM