Low fat diet

Old July 12th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
grinder

Default Low fat diet

My 13 year old Boston has had pancreatitis attacks on and off his whole life
but they seemed to be getting more severe and frequent as of late. I used
to give him half a pepcid and the onset attacks but all that guaranteed was
he would vomit within an hour. Evidently there is little that can be done
except diet change.

I changed his diet to white rice, boiled skinless chicken breast and low fat
cottage cheese. He likes it for now but I am sure that will change. He has
improved significantly to the new diet. No attacks or discomfort. I also
provide him with Ekunuba low residue dry food as a supplement.

I need to look into possible commerical alternatives.

Old July 13th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
grinder

"DK" wrote in message
In article . net,
"grinder" wrote:
My 13 year old Boston has had pancreatitis attacks on and off his whole
life
but they seemed to be getting more severe and frequent as of late. I used
to give him half a pepcid and the onset attacks but all that guaranteed
was
he would vomit within an hour. Evidently there is little that can be done
except diet change.

I changed his diet to white rice, boiled skinless chicken breast and low
fat
cottage cheese. He likes it for now but I am sure that will change. He
has
improved significantly to the new diet. No attacks or discomfort. I also
provide him with Ekunuba low residue dry food as a supplement.

I need to look into possible commerical alternatives.

My dog died from horrible pancreatitis not long ago (it was acute; we did
an operation with huge abscessed piece of pancreas removed but ultimately
it came back within weeks and resulted in multiple organ failure).
Anyhow, in the process of trying to save her, we have tried seemingly
every prescription low fat dog food in existence.

All I can say is that they all seemed like garbage foods. All contained
corn
as the main ingredient, most contained meat by-products, and one
contained 15% powdered cellulose (e.g. ground and acid-washed wood
chips). They all were typically low in caloric content, so the amount of
poop is rather impressive.

The Eukanuba Low Residue was probably among better of them, yet here is
the list of its top ingerients:
Corn Grits, Brewers Rice, Chicken By-Product Meal, Chicken, Fish Meal,
Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product

Maybe this sort of garbage is somehow bebeficial during pancreatitis but
I doubt it very much. If I were to do it again (alas, I can't - the dear
friend
is dead), I'd try any naturally low fat cheap oceanic white fish.

DK

There is a reason they have these ingredients and no meat. I don't have to
give my dog a steak bone with meat on it to know the answer.

Diet. Z Dog health 0 May 23rd 07 11:50 PM