Recommendations for Dog Deterrent

Old July 13th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Recommendations for Dog Deterrent

My wife, my dog and I were out on our four mile walk last night, and
we were charged by a GSD that was running free on about a 5 acre
yard. Luckily he had a remote trainer on and he yipped when he was
about 2 feet from the property line as the owner ran out the garage
door, and quickly returned to the owner. This could have been a
serious situation though, so it has got me worried. We used to carry
a can of mace that my wife had, but she forgot it in her purse the
last time we were flying and didn't realize it until we were in the
airport so I had to give it to the security guards. I'm glad she
realized it because I bet they would be rude if they had found it
instead of me handing it to them with a quick explanation. Anyways,
given that Yoda is very reactive to large dogs charging at him I was
quite happy that he continued healing while ignoring the other dog.
But, had the GSD gotten to us and attacked Yoda, I would expect he
would no longer ignore him and a fight would break out.

This is the second time this has happened to me(last time it was my
next door neighbors APBT), so I guess it is shame on me for not
preparing myself better after the first.(Fool me once, shame on you,
fool me twice, shame on me)

I know that there are capsaicin based sprays and citronella sprays for
use as dog deterrents. I am looking for any recommendations on brands
or the effectiveness of one versus the other. I was sufficiently
armed to kill the GSD if it came to that, but for liability reasons I
would like a deterrent. And because I love dogs, and do not really
want to have to kill one, although I will to protect my family and my
dog, I would like to ensure it is as effective of a deterrent as
possible. Thanks.

Nick

Old July 13th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Many Dogs \(flick\)

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Popping an umbrella open at a dog can sometimes deter it.

You'll need to check on the legality:

Bear repellent
Cattle prod
Stun gun
Taser

If you get the impression I wouldn't mess around, you're right ;-).

flick 100785

Old July 13th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Jul 13, 3:34 pm, "Many Dogs \(flick\)"
wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Bear repellent is legal, which is what I am thinking, my only problem
with it is the cans are always so large. Tasers are not, where I
live. I don't have a clue on the legality of carrying a cattle prod
down the road, although I see nothing wrong with it. Stun guns are
legal but I don't think one will work, because in my situation I would
need to be able to deter the dog at least 4 feet from me since Yoda
is reactive to being charged.

Thanks for the advice.

Nick

Old July 14th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Jul 13, 12:02 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Ammonia in a squirt bottle works well. Once they try that, they will
avoid you like the plague. I would walk by half hoping for the
culprits to come out to teach them this lesson. Of course the owner
will be livid if you do it. In rural Indiana a few years ago, a
neighbor shot and killed another neighbor's dog, to which the owner
responded by shooting and killing the man. It really isn't worth it. I
would stop by and in your most pleasant demeaner explain how you are
concerned for your family and dog. After that, call the police if it
doesn't get solved. That's the neighborly thing to do. dkw

Old July 14th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

wrote:
snip
We used to carry
a can of mace that my wife had, but she forgot it in her purse the
last time we were flying and didn't realize it until we were in the
airport so I had to give it to the security guards. I'm glad she
realized it because I bet they would be rude if they had found it
instead of me handing it to them with a quick explanation.snip

Don't bet on it. Prior to a recent trip to Spain I removed my pocket
knife and butane lighter from my purse. Kept the small hand mirror,
cell phone, little flashlight, POD and ear buds, digital camera.
Presented the lip gloss, nose spray and eye drops in a ziplock bag. And
totally forgot about the little can of pepper spray hiding under the
folds of the interior lining of the bag.

I traveled from St. Louis to Chicago to Madrid, to Morocco, to
Gibraltar, each destination round trip, and was never once challenged by
customs agents.

My mother has a pacemaker and was advised not to go through the metal
detector gates. She carries a card stating that she has to be wanded
manually or patted down.

When we did the side trip to Morocco the metal detector gates beeped at
the usual suspects: the fellow travelers with the giant belt buckle and
with the artificial hip and knee. It took forever to go from Spain to
Morocco.

It was different on the way back, though. The line moved quickly and
smoothly. When my mom came to the front of the line she presented her
card requesting to be manually screened. They motioned her through the
gate. She protested vociferously which was when I stepped in and told
her "trust me and just walk through; it'll be fine". No beep, no effect
on the pacemaker, which was pretty much exactly what I expected. I'd
watched belt buckle dude and titanium knee guy walk through with nary a
beep. The machines weren't even turned on.

Old July 14th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Kathleen wrote:
I traveled from St. Louis to Chicago to Madrid, to Morocco, to
Gibraltar, each destination round trip, and was never once challenged by
customs agents.

My experience has been that the TSA officers at small
regional airports tend to be a lot more diligent. On the
other hand, I've found that the Customs and Immigration
folks at road border crossings from Canada tend to be
fussier at major crossings and incredibly lackadaisical at
small ones. The way "Homeland Security" is being executed
has a good amount of kabuki to it, although it's pretty good
at eliminating low-hanging fruit (people too stupid to avoid
doing something obvious). And this is just a guess but I
would guess that it's a lot more likely that your contraband
would have been caught if you'd been a swarthy male.

Anyway, I wouldn't assume that you can usually get through
inspection with something like pepper spray. Better to
leave it at home. Also, in Europe when you set off a metal
detector rather than asking you to empty your pockets and
step through again they go straight to the pat-down. It
happened to me once and I found it pretty invasive.

That's a funny story about the metal detector being off,
though.

Old July 14th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Melinda Shore wrote:

In article ,
Kathleen wrote:

I traveled from St. Louis to Chicago to Madrid, to Morocco, to
Gibraltar, each destination round trip, and was never once challenged by
customs agents.

My experience has been that the TSA officers at small
regional airports tend to be a lot more diligent. On the
other hand, I've found that the Customs and Immigration
folks at road border crossings from Canada tend to be
fussier at major crossings and incredibly lackadaisical at
small ones. The way "Homeland Security" is being executed
has a good amount of kabuki to it, although it's pretty good
at eliminating low-hanging fruit (people too stupid to avoid
doing something obvious). And this is just a guess but I
would guess that it's a lot more likely that your contraband
would have been caught if you'd been a swarthy male.

My 12 year-old son is a moderately swarthy type (as is his mother, but
for some foils in copper and gold). When I escorted him through the
metal detecters to wait with him at the gates for his flight to Phoenix
to visit Grandma et. al. his backpack freaked the screener right out.
She hit the stop button on the conveyor belt and hollered for a
supervisor in a voice that brooked no discussion about priorities.

I stepped a few feet down conveyor and leaned in and peeked around to
see the screen she was viewing. Aw, crap. Video games. One full-sized
system with four sets of cables and controllers, two hand-held games,
cartridges and chargers for everything... It looked like an octopus
orgy on the screen.

The supervisor arrived; I offered to unpack the bag for inspection and
was told to take two steps back *right now*. The supervisor gingerly
unzipped the backpack and then cautiously dunked a white disk, smaller
than a cd, into the opened mouth of the bag. The disk was slotted into
some kind of reader behind him. He studied the output display for a
second then dived into the pack like a beagle going after a rabbit. The
contents were as I'd described so he waved us through.

For me it brought home the true horror of terrorism. I hate living in a
world where a kid being checked onto a flight by his mother - his own
biological mother - had to be considered a suicide bombing risk.

Anyway, I wouldn't assume that you can usually get through
inspection with something like pepper spray. Better to
leave it at home. Also, in Europe when you set off a metal
detector rather than asking you to empty your pockets and
step through again they go straight to the pat-down. It
happened to me once and I found it pretty invasive.

Yeah, I've been patted down and it happened when I was reporting for
jury duty right here at home. And while it was invasive it wasn't lewd
and so I utilized the same mental trick that serves so well during the
annual poke-n-gope exam at the OBGyn - I just went bye-bye for a minute.
Never did figure out what was setting the thing off.

That's a funny story about the metal detector being off,
though.

Yeah. They had the whole crew there, people sitting behind the x-ray
machine, officers standing beside the gate. Silly and scary all at once.

Old July 14th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Kathleen wrote:
The supervisor arrived; I offered to unpack the bag for inspection and
was told to take two steps back *right now*. The supervisor gingerly
unzipped the backpack and then cautiously dunked a white disk, smaller
than a cd, into the opened mouth of the bag. The disk was slotted into
some kind of reader behind him. He studied the output display for a
second then dived into the pack like a beagle going after a rabbit. The
contents were as I'd described so he waved us through.

Crikey. How'd your son take it?

Was this out of St Louis too? I avoid flying through St
Louis because it's got a really intolerable level of
dumbf*ck airport staff, whether it's the security folks, the
ticket agents, whatever - they nearly all suck in a way that
you occasionally glimpse in other airports but never, ever
see in such huge aggregate. The suckiness of the St Louis
airport has such enormous mass that it's got its own
gravitational field.

For me it brought home the true horror of terrorism.

Hmmm. That kind of stuff is par for the course flying out
of Ben Gurion, in a country where you really do have little
kids committing bombings. About a month after 9/11 I was on
a flight from Raleigh/Durham up to LaGuardia, and I looked
out the window and saw an F-15 just off our wing. Someone
on the other side of the aisle said there was another one on
that side. When we landed we were told that it was opening
night of the World Series, which was in NYC and in which
President Bush was throwing out the first ball, and since
the ANG jets were going up to patrol NY airspace anyway they
decided to escort us. But a bunch of us did spend some time
trying to decide whether or not we should be worried.

Old July 14th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 14 Jul 2007 11:55:21 -0400, (Melinda Shore) wrote:

[...]
Was this out of St Louis too? I avoid flying through St
Louis because it's got a really intolerable level of
dumbf*ck airport staff, whether it's the security folks, the
ticket agents, whatever - they nearly all suck in a way that
you occasionally glimpse in other airports but never, ever
see in such huge aggregate. The suckiness of the St Louis
airport has such enormous mass that it's got its own
gravitational field.

The St.Louis airport (Lambert Field) is owned and controlled by the
city of St. Louis (not the county of St. Louis, where it is located),
a Democratic wasteland.

And almost all the jobs at the airport are Democratic *patronage*
jobs, i.e., nirvana for members of the "reality-based community."

If we're ever forced to endure a national health-care program (God
forbid!), keep in mind that those same "dumbf*cks" would be running
it.

The horror. The horror.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

The New York Times Surrenders. spit
http://www.city-journal.org/html/eon2007-07-12vdh.html

Finally located! A woman for Paul Schoen!
http://www.reuters.com/news/video/vi...?videoId=59730

Ten Politically Incorrect Truths About Human Nature. Heh.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...622-000002.xml

Hating America.
http://www.hudsonreview.com/BawerSp04.html