WANTED: Border Collie + Alaskan Malamute hybrid pup

Old July 14th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
kayak

Default WANTED: Border Collie + Alaskan Malamute hybrid pup

Wanted: male border collie - alaskan malamute hybrid pup, preferably
8-12 weeks old. Respond to ad located at http://www.usabreeders.com/class/index.php?a=2&b=332
.. Thanks.

Old July 14th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Kathleen

kayak wrote:

Wanted: male border collie - alaskan malamute hybrid pup, preferably
8-12 weeks old. Respond to ad located at http://www.usabreeders.com/class/index.php?a=2&b=332
. Thanks.

Why? What is it that you're attempting to achieve?

My flyball club includes a BC x Husky mix. Gorgeous dog, ought to be
fast as all get-out but never accelerates beyond a rhythmic lope.

One hell of a singer, though. If you croon to him he'll sing and then
at least half of the BCS will join in.

Old July 15th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
kayak

On Jul 14, 11:48 am, Kathleen wrote:
kayak wrote:
Wanted: male border collie - alaskan malamute hybrid pup, preferably
8-12 weeks old. Respond to ad located athttp://www.usabreeders.com/class/index.php?a=2&b=332
. Thanks.

Why? What is it that you're attempting to achieve?

My flyball club includes a BC x Husky mix. Gorgeous dog, ought to be
fast as all get-out but never accelerates beyond a rhythmic lope.

One hell of a singer, though. If you croon to him he'll sing and then
at least half of the BCS will join in.

Last month we had to have our dog put down. He was a Border Collie/
Alaskan Malamute mix, extremely beautiful, and scary smart. He was
fourteen and a half years old. We had him since he was eight weeks
old. His temperment was such that, although he enjoyed activity, he
also enjoyed just spending time with his family. I am afraid that a
husky mix might be a little more hyper than a malamute mix.

We have a hole in our home and in our hearts that we want to fill.

Old July 15th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Rocky

kayak said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

We have a hole in our home and in our hearts that we want
to fill.

When my heart dog, Murphy died, she was just a few days shy of
her 14th birthday. She was an Australian Cattle dog cross
German Shepherd Dog (btw, a mix is not a hybrid), originally
bought from an advertisement in the paper.

I knew that the only way I'd find another dog like Murphy
would be to go back to her original lines and original
breeder. That wasn't going to happen. Much of a dog's
temperament and health comes from knowledgeable choice and
mating of the parents and upbringing of the litter - possible,
though unlikely with mixed breeds. A thorough pedigree
increases your odds of getting a known quantity, but still
isn't a guarantee.

What I suggest you do, is to do what I did. I thought long
and hard about what it was that I liked about Murphy. I liked
her focus on me and my family, I liked her energy and drive
when outside, yet I appreciated that when inside, she was calm
in her playfulness. All those factors pointed me to herding
breed dogs and I haven't been disappointed yet with that
choice - both with puppies from breeders and an adolescent dog
from rescue.

While my decision was relatively easy (from ACD/GSD to herding
breeds), yours may be a little more difficult, what with BCs
and Malamutes being such disparate breeds.

Good luck, and check the shelters and rescue! You may find
the temperament you want coming from an unexpected direction.

Old July 15th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
kayak

On Jul 14, 10:33 pm, Rocky wrote:
[...]

By technical definition of the word hybrid, what I am describing is a
mix and not a hybrid. But I am using the word hybrid to distinguish
an intentional breeding between two dogs of pure but different breeds,
as opposed to a mix being a breeding between two dogs (intentional or
unintentional), at least one of which being of uncertain lineage. I
could also use the phrase "designer-dog", but that just sounds too
Paris Hilton to me.

Old July 15th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Rocky

kayak said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

By technical definition of the word hybrid, what I am
describing is a mix and not a hybrid. But I am using the
word hybrid to distinguish an intentional breeding between
two dogs of pure but different breeds, as opposed to a mix
being a breeding between two dogs (intentional or
unintentional), at least one of which being of uncertain
lineage.

All we have here is words. When you use them incorrectly it
causes confusion. Most people here know that a hybrid results
from the mating of two different species. That you would use it
to differentiate between a "good" mixed breed vs. a "bad" mixed
breed is confusing.

BTW, I guess that you only cared about a half dozen of the words
I wrote. Too bad that I wasted my time on the others.

Old July 15th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
kayak

On Jul 15, 11:01 am, Rocky wrote:
kayak said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

By technical definition of the word hybrid, what I am
describing is a mix and not a hybrid. But I am using the
word hybrid to distinguish an intentional breeding between
two dogs of pure but different breeds, as opposed to a mix
being a breeding between two dogs (intentional or
unintentional), at least one of which being of uncertain
lineage.

All we have here is words. When you use them incorrectly it
causes confusion. Most people here know that a hybrid results
from the mating of two different species. That you would use it
to differentiate between a "good" mixed breed vs. a "bad" mixed
breed is confusing.

BTW, I guess that you only cared about a half dozen of the words
I wrote. Too bad that I wasted my time on the others.

Matt, sorry for the confusion I caused by not responding to all you
words. Yes, I cared about all that you wrote, as well as what others
have written. I am taking this all into consideration. As far as
good or bad mixes, that is not what I am implying. But if someone is
specifically looking for one breed, another breed is not what they are
looking for. That doesn't make the other breed bad, just not what
they are looking for.

Old July 15th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Rocky

kayak said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

As far as
good or bad mixes, that is not what I am implying.

You said as much in your defense of your misuse of the word
hybrid.

But if
someone is specifically looking for one breed, another
breed is not what they are looking for. That doesn't make
the other breed bad, just not what they are looking for.

Did someone say anything which inferred that? If I did, please
point it out.

Old July 15th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Rocky

Rocky said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Did someone say anything which inferred that?

.... *implied* that.

Sheesh.