Rat terriers

Old October 14th 03, 10:31 PM
bmuesli

Default Rat terriers

Pet store dogs come from puppy mills where the people that breed them have
no interest in conforming to any sort of breed standard.

wrote in message

I'm just curious... I work at a pet store and all I know about these dogs
is every single one is as needy as my little siamese and they all look
vastly different. Some are as big as fox terriers, others as small as
chihuahuas. Some look like fox terriers with long muzzles and others have
the pop up eyes and short muzzles of chihuahuas. I think I even saw one
that looked like a Jack Russel Terrier.

I'm not interested in getting one. I'm just interested in if they are a
real breed, are they trying to become one, or are they just a mixed breed
dog given a name that doesn't splice the names fo the dogs used
to "create" it (like cock-a-poo or schnoodle)? I mean there seems to be no
standard to them at all except for the needy personality (though that in
itself seems to be amazingly the same with all of them).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.

Old October 15th 03, 12:34 AM

bmuesli wrote:
Pet store dogs come from puppy mills where the people that breed them have
no interest in conforming to any sort of breed standard.

My store doesn't sell dogs but it allows people to bring them in.
Therefore I see these dogs quite a bit btu I could not tell you if they
came from a pet store, breeder, shelter, or what.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old October 15th 03, 12:58 AM
bmuesli

okay!

wrote in message
bmuesli wrote:
Pet store dogs come from puppy mills where the people that breed them

have
no interest in conforming to any sort of breed standard.

My store doesn't sell dogs but it allows people to bring them in.
Therefore I see these dogs quite a bit btu I could not tell you if they
came from a pet store, breeder, shelter, or what.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.

Old October 15th 03, 09:49 PM
sionnach

there's a big difference between a "type" and a mixed breed dog like a
"cock-a-poo".

There's also the fact that the dogs are being sold in a PET STORE- which
means they're coming from bad breeders (most likely puppymillers) and are
unlikely to be meeting standard in any case.
An acquaintence of mine has two Poms that were purchased from a Just
Puppies, and while they're nice little dogs, they're also pretty poor
specimens of the breed.

Old October 15th 03, 11:57 PM
PML

Hi,

Rat Terriers are a true breed. Hunting instinct is more important than
a particular "look". As in other breeds such as the Schnauzer &
Poodle, there are different sizes of the breed, but they are all still
Rat Terriers.

I grew up with a very large RT (~ 30 lbs) who would have probably made
a great hunting dog, but true to breed, was hyper, noisy & loved to
chase & kill small furry things. Rat Terriers are generally very
intelligent & affectionate dogs, but being terriers, they are usually
not afraid of anything, extremely high energy & very vocal. They also
usually housetrain very easily.

Another good source of information on Rat Terriers is the American Rat
Terrier Rescue website (www.americanratterrier.com). They are
definitely not a breed for someone looking for a laid back, easygoing
dog.

Pam Lowrey
a.k.a. "Dog Trainer"

"culprit" wrote in message ...
wrote in message

I'm not interested in getting one. I'm just interested in if they are a
real breed, are they trying to become one, or are they just a mixed breed
dog given a name that doesn't splice the names fo the dogs used
to "create" it (like cock-a-poo or schnoodle)? I mean there seems to be no
standard to them at all except for the needy personality (though that in
itself seems to be amazingly the same with all of them).

interesting, it looks like they're more of a "type" than a breed (see
"feist" dogs for more info), but they do have a breed club and standard:
http://www.ratterrierclub.com/standard/index.html. looks like there's a
miniature rat terrier as well, which would account for the variation in
size.
they're not recognized by the AKC, but are recognized by the UKC:
http://www.ukcdogs.com/breeds/terrie...rier.std.shtml.

or at least that's my take on it. :-)

-kelly

Old October 16th 03, 12:17 AM
queenmother

"PML" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

Rat Terriers are a true breed. Hunting instinct is more important than
a particular "look". As in other breeds such as the Schnauzer &
Poodle, there are different sizes of the breed, but they are all still
Rat Terriers.

Just to clarify - there are three separate breeds of schnauzer. They are
not the same breed but just different sizes. They are distinct and separate
breeds. So they are not like the Rat Terriers in that respect.

~~Judy

Old October 16th 03, 06:17 AM
culprit

"sionnach" wrote in message

there's a big difference between a "type" and a mixed breed dog like a
"cock-a-poo".

There's also the fact that the dogs are being sold in a PET STORE- which
means they're coming from bad breeders (most likely puppymillers) and are
unlikely to be meeting standard in any case.
An acquaintence of mine has two Poms that were purchased from a Just
Puppies, and while they're nice little dogs, they're also pretty poor
specimens of the breed.

i don't think the OP knows where the rat terriers mentioned were purchased.
as i read it, she works in a pet supply store, and someone brought the dogs
in.

-kelly

Old October 16th 03, 06:52 AM

culprit wrote:

i don't think the OP knows where the rat terriers mentioned were purchased.
as i read it, she works in a pet supply store, and someone brought the dogs
in.

Yep. People bring in their dogs. I get to see them. Not all pet stores
sell dogs. Mine does sell birds/fish/small mammals(gerbils,hamsters), but
not cats and dogs. They do have an adoption center wher ethey allow the
Humane society to show off cats that need to be adopted (no dogs, no
facilities for them. Sometimes rescues come in on the weekends with dogs).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old October 16th 03, 07:51 AM
Jo Wolf

Unfortunately, though, most of the Rat Terriers Alice sees in the store
are from puppymills and BYB's....

Rat Terrier rescue seems to be every bit as busy as JRT rescue.... These
are Tough Dogs... just usually fairly small.

Alice... they seem "needy" because this breed is designed to work solely
with humans in a hunting environment.... squirrel and rabbit dogs,
vermin control.... They are not fox hunting terriers and not earthdogs
in the classical use of that term.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old October 16th 03, 07:13 PM
PML

(Jo Wolf) wrote in message ...
Unfortunately, though, most of the Rat Terriers Alice sees in the store
are from puppymills and BYB's....

Rat Terrier rescue seems to be every bit as busy as JRT rescue.... These
are Tough Dogs... just usually fairly small.

Alice... they seem "needy" because this breed is designed to work solely
with humans in a hunting environment.... squirrel and rabbit dogs,
vermin control.... They are not fox hunting terriers and not earthdogs
in the classical use of that term.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Yes, RT Rescue is VERY busy. I used to help foster dogs & was always
going to pick up a dog from somewhere & sometimes had upwards of 5
dogs (2 of my own + 3 fosters) at one time.

And it is extremely unfortunate that most of the RTs people see come
from puppy mills. I once fostered a puppy mill dog (puppy) who had
broken a front leg jumping from the couch to the floor. This poor
puppy also had demodex mange (the non-contagious kind) & was an
absolute mess, but with proper care & confinement, his leg healed up
nicely without surgery. (We were still working on the mange when he
left my care.) There's a puppy mill in a little town southwest of
Champaign, IL & I keep hearing rumors about RTs being bred there.

Also unfortunately, the Humane Care & Treatment of Animals act does
not prevent such places from existing & the USDA seems to be unable to
monitor all of the businesses they issue kennel licenses to. ARGH!

Pam