trick ideas?

Old July 16th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

Default trick ideas?

I got an e-mail this morning from someone who's petsitting a dog and
wants to teach her a few tricks to surprise her owners with when they
get back. Definitely a first for me, and I admit to not being a "trick"
person for the most part. I'm one of those people that always wants
something to have some sort of purpose.

Any ideas? I tend to teach things like "find the wallet" or such -
useful games. The dog is a Pointer, so scent games should be relatively
simple. I have a few books that I'l peruse, but if you guys have done
something fun, let me hear about it!

--
Janet Boss
Old July 16th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Janet Boss wrote:

I have a few books that I'l peruse, but if you guys have done
something fun, let me hear about it!

Miss Brown's newest trick is to raise her ears when I raise my
eyebrows. I don't know that it's all that entertaining for others,
but it cracks me right the hell up.

--
Shelly
Old July 16th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Shelly wrote:

Miss Brown's newest trick is to raise her ears when I raise my
eyebrows. I don't know that it's all that entertaining for others,
but it cracks me right the hell up.

Hmmm - I need to meet this dog first. I don't know how tuned in she may
be, especially with a non-owner! But that gives me a category of the
monkey-see, monkey-do variety! Thanks!

--
Janet Boss
Old July 16th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Janet Boss wrote:

Hmmm - I need to meet this dog first. I don't know how tuned in she may
be, especially with a non-owner!

Good point! That's why it was so easy to teach Harriet to do it.
She's a face watcher, and she naturally picks up on and responds to
subtle expression changes. We play a lot of facial expression games.

--
Shelly
Old July 16th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Janet Boss wrote:
I got an e-mail this morning from someone who's petsitting a dog and
wants to teach her a few tricks to surprise her owners with when they
get back. Definitely a first for me, and I admit to not being a "trick"
person for the most part. I'm one of those people that always wants
something to have some sort of purpose.

Any ideas? I tend to teach things like "find the wallet" or such -
useful games. The dog is a Pointer, so scent games should be relatively
simple. I have a few books that I'l peruse, but if you guys have done
something fun, let me hear about it!

This one might be too complex, but she could try what we call
"nose trick." The dog balances a biscuit on the top of his nose,
and then, on command, tosses it in the air and catches it. Like
the TV commercial from several years ago.

Simpler: catch a biscuit or kibble in the air.

Useful: "Leave it." Don't touch food or a toy placed on the
ground in front of a sitting dog - "Leave it" - until "OK"
command is given. Very useful to calm a dog who wants to go out
the door with you. Put the dog in "leave it" stance, and then
say "OK" as you close the door. [It also associates a treat with
your departure; our dogs came to look forward to our going to
work in the morning. "When can I leave it? When can I leave it?"]

FurPaw

--
It will be a great day when our schools get all the money they
need and the Army has to hold a bake sale to buy a tank.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old July 16th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Janet Boss wrote:

I got an e-mail this morning from someone who's petsitting a dog and
wants to teach her a few tricks to surprise her owners with when they
get back. Definitely a first for me, and I admit to not being a "trick"
person for the most part. I'm one of those people that always wants
something to have some sort of purpose.

Any ideas? I tend to teach things like "find the wallet" or such -
useful games. The dog is a Pointer, so scent games should be relatively
simple. I have a few books that I'l peruse, but if you guys have done
something fun, let me hear about it!

"Say your prayers"

Handler kneels, one knee on the ground, the opposite leg with the foot
planted and the top of the thigh more or less parallel to the ground.
Dog sits perpendicular to the thigh, places front paws on thigh and bows
head. This is good for major "aw"s.

Shape by starting with the sit. Reinforce paws on leg next. Teach head
bowing by reaching beneath your leg with treat, so he has to duck his
head between his paws to reach the treat.

Old July 17th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:52:14 GMT, Janet Boss
wrote:

Any ideas? I tend to teach things like "find the wallet" or such -
useful games. The dog is a Pointer, so scent games should be relatively
simple. I have a few books that I'l peruse, but if you guys have done
something fun, let me hear about it!

this one's kind of dirty, but always got big laughs. My husband taught our
very large Lab X GSD "Missionary." She would roll over onto her back and
spread all 4 of her legs.

Still makes me laugh.

--
Lynne

yet another new trick culprit Dog behavior 0 May 22nd 04 01:13 AM
Help with a trick. vboy Dog behavior 15 May 19th 04 04:54 PM
Help with a trick. vboy Dog behavior 0 May 3rd 04 05:20 AM
Help with a trick. vboy Dog behavior 0 May 3rd 04 05:20 AM
Help with a trick. vboy Dog behavior 0 May 3rd 04 05:20 AM