Husky-Shepherd

Old July 16th 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Deadmoney Walking

Default Husky-Shepherd

Hi all. Since I can't decide between a Husky or a German Shepherd, I
was thinking of adopting a dog that is a mix of both. Does anyone
have any experience in this area?

Old July 16th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article .com,
Deadmoney Walking wrote:
Hi all. Since I can't decide between a Husky or a German Shepherd, I
was thinking of adopting a dog that is a mix of both. Does anyone
have any experience in this area?

They're incredibly different dogs. What is it that draws
you to each?

That said, there always seems to be lots and lots of
Siberian/Shepherd mixes listed on Petfinder and at the local
shelters and through Siberian Husky rescue organizations.
Why not go meet one?

Old July 16th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Deadmoney Walking" wrote in message:

Since I can't decide between a Husky or a German Shepherd

They are wildly different in all sorts of ways, including temperament and
biddability. What is it that you like (and dislike) about each of the
breeds? Have you met sufficient number of each to have a good idea of what
the breed traits are?

was thinking of adopting a dog that is a mix of both. Does anyone
have any experience in this area?

Sort of. One of my dogs is a presumed GSD/Malamute (or Husky) mix. I think
that his leanings are more Mal than GSD, and while he's an absolutely
wonderful dog, he's not what I'd call an easy dog. While it is a wonderful
idea to adopt a nice mixed breed dog, keep in mind that the dog could just
as easily have all the "bad" traits of both breeds as the good ones. Check
out your local rescues, meet a few dogs, and go from there.

Suja

Old July 17th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Deadmoney Walking wrote:
Hi all. Since I can't decide between a Husky or a German Shepherd, I
was thinking of adopting a dog that is a mix of both. Does anyone
have any experience in this area?

When I was in college I shared a house with a woman who had a
shepherd/husky mix. Siggie was a big, gorgeous boy, very smart
but not easy to train or control. Of course, that could have
been due to our inexperience with dogs. He was very protective
and disliked men, and so when either of us had a date we had to
make sure he was not in the yard - otherwise, Siggie would bare
teeth and bark and grow ferociously, and the hapless date would
have to stand outside the gate and holler to announce his arrival.

And that's my experience. I don't know if that helps - a sample
of one isn't a very good indicator of the characteristics of the mix.

FurPaw
--
It will be a great day when our schools get all the money they
need and the Army has to hold a bake sale to buy a tank.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old July 17th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

Suja is correct when she says ..............They are wildly different in all
sorts of ways, including temperament and biddability.

I've had mixes of both kind neither of which I would recommend anyone take
on unless they are experienced..........especially the husky. Huskys are
very intelligent almost too intelligent for their own good at times and can
be a very trying dog. You have to have great patient and a willingness to
take them on fully. It's a full time job with a husky they always keep you
on your toes.

I have a husky/lab puppy right now and she's a handful and she's only 12
weeks old. I've learned from my experience from before so I know what I"m
in for. The first time around I didn't and Barney was a handful of a dog
till the day he died. Not that I ever regret it but there were things I
would have done different if I had known in the past what his nature would
turn out to be.

Celeste

Old July 17th 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sionnach

"FurPaw" wrote:

When I was in college I shared a house with a woman who had a
shepherd/husky mix. Siggie was a big, gorgeous boy, very smart but not
easy to train or control. Of course, that could have been due to our
inexperience with dogs.

I'll add a datapoint - my sister had a dog 20-odd years ago who was
supposedly a Husky/Shepherd. He was sweet as could be - unless you
threatened a member of my family. He was also perfectly trainable and
trained AS LONG AS THERE WAS A LEASH ATTACHED TO HIS COLLAR. Let him off
leash, and he'd look at you, smile, and do whatever he pleased, which
included taking off running and not coming back for several hours.
He was an incredible athlete, and also an escape artist - which ultimately
led to his untimely death, when he bolted past someone coming into the
house, took off for one of his runs, and ran in front of a car.

Old July 17th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Deadmoney Walking

On Jul 16, 5:16 pm, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
In article .com,
Deadmoney Walking wrote:

Hi all. Since I can't decide between a Husky or a German Shepherd, I
was thinking of adopting a dog that is a mix of both. Does anyone
have any experience in this area?

They're incredibly different dogs. What is it that draws
you to each?

Hmm. I like the appearance, friendlieness, and energy of the
Siberian. I like GSDs because they are fierce, loyal, and
terrirorial. I thought htat maybe a mixed dog could have all the
traits, albeit with the negatives too.

That said, there always seems to be lots and lots of
Siberian/Shepherd mixes listed on Petfinder and at the local
shelters and through Siberian Husky rescue organizations.
Why not go meet one?
--

I have been in communication with several breed specific rescue
organizations for the past 4 months. Because it takes about 2-3 weeks

Old July 17th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Deadmoney Walking

On Jul 17, 7:11 am, "Sionnach" wrote:
"FurPaw" wrote:

When I was in college I shared a house with a woman who had a
shepherd/husky mix. Siggie was a big, gorgeous boy, very smart but not
easy to train or control. Of course, that could have been due to our
inexperience with dogs.

I'll add a datapoint - my sister had a dog 20-odd years ago who was
supposedly a Husky/Shepherd. He was sweet as could be - unless you
threatened a member of my family. He was also perfectly trainable and
trained AS LONG AS THERE WAS A LEASH ATTACHED TO HIS COLLAR. Let him off
leash, and he'd look at you, smile, and do whatever he pleased, which
included taking off running and not coming back for several hours.
He was an incredible athlete, and also an escape artist - which ultimately
led to his untimely death, when he bolted past someone coming into the
house, took off for one of his runs, and ran in front of a car.

Thank all of you for your replies (except the spammer). These
stories were something like what I expected. I will endeavor to visit
any husky/gsd mixes I can locate.

Old July 18th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Deadmoney Walking

Deadmoney Walking wrote:

Hi all. Since I can't decide between a Husky or a German Shepherd, I
was thinking of adopting a dog that is a mix of both. Does anyone
have any experience in this area?

They're incredibly different dogs. What is it that draws
you to each?

Appearance and reputation. I like the energy and friendliness of the
Husky and the loyalty and fierceness of the Shepherd.

That said, there always seems to be lots and lots of
Siberian/Shepherd mixes listed on Petfinder and at the local
shelters and through Siberian Husky rescue organizations.
Why not go meet one?

That's the plan. But since you have to wait 2-3 weeks per call while
playing phone-tag with most rescue organizations, I thought I would
consult the usenet experts.

Old July 18th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Deadmoney Walking

"FurPaw" wrote:

When I was in college I shared a house with a woman who had a
shepherd/husky mix. Siggie was a big, gorgeous boy, very smart but not
easy to train or control. Of course, that could have been due to our
inexperience with dogs.

I'll add a datapoint - my sister had a dog 20-odd years ago who was
supposedly a Husky/Shepherd. He was sweet as could be - unless you
threatened a member of my family. He was also perfectly trainable and
trained AS LONG AS THERE WAS A LEASH ATTACHED TO HIS COLLAR. Let him off
leash, and he'd look at you, smile, and do whatever he pleased, which
included taking off running and not coming back for several hours.
He was an incredible athlete, and also an escape artist - which ultimately
led to his untimely death, when he bolted past someone coming into the
house, took off for one of his runs, and ran in front of a car.

thanks for all of the stories folks. Sounds like they make a great
dog.

Husky cam! Lynne Dog behavior 3 February 9th 07 01:21 AM
Toy Husky?!?!? Janet B Dog breeds 5 December 6th 05 05:01 AM
Siberian Husky William Dog breeds 1 January 9th 05 06:40 PM
[husky] Who owns a Husky here? Melinda Shore Dog behavior 4 August 1st 03 02:29 PM