Ping diddy (and maybe others)

Old July 27th 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Many Dogs \(flick\)

Default Ping diddy (and maybe others)

Are there any orgs that train rescues into service dogs?

Thanks.

flick 100785

Old July 27th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Many Dogs \(flick\)

"diddy" wrote in message

Yes, But I can't think of any off hand.

I have trained several rescues into service dogs myself. But I'm not
currently doing this now.
If you train a dog to perform a function for a specific person who has
that need, then train that person to work with the dog, get the person to
get a prescription demonstrating that need and function, and then getting
it documented that the dog sufficiently provides that need and is well
mannered in public and the handicapped person has control, they can then
be certified as a service dog, given documentation as such, and
insurance.
It's really not hard to do. Not sure of the organizations that do the
training themselves. I've seen a bunch of fly-by-night outfits providing
poorly trained and ill prepared dog and handlers for extravagant prices
that used pound dogs. None of those are in business today (of the ones i
knew)

For the do-it-yourself service dog, May I suggest Delta society?

A retrieve is most basic. Getting a dog to retrieve/pull/step on/press
paddles are just basic skills. If the dog is of sound temperament, loves
to retrieve, is laid back and well mannered.. it's definitely Service dog
fodder

Somebody I know rescued a young lab off the street that is impressively
smart, at only 4-5 months, and he'd like to get it to an appropriate org if
that's possible.

flick 100785

Old July 27th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

You might check into the state prisons and see if any of them have dog
programs. I know the one where my Mike works at has one. The prisoners
train the dogs to be service dogs and to socialize the dogs the guards take
the dogs home on the weekends to get them out into the public.

Celeste

"Many Dogs (flick)" wrote in message
.. .

Ping diddy Barb E Dog behavior 1 January 5th 07 09:44 PM
Ping diddy Barb E Dog behavior 1 December 29th 06 08:28 PM
ping: Diddy Sandy in OK Dog behavior 0 December 11th 06 06:58 PM
ping: Diddy Lynne Dog behavior 0 December 9th 06 07:49 PM
Ping diddy Amy Dahl Dog behavior 1 November 8th 06 12:32 AM