Cushing's disease herbal/holistic alternative?

Old July 27th 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
The Space Boss

Default Cushing's disease herbal/holistic alternative?

Vet put my dog on Theophyline. She did well for a couple of days, less
panting, less drinking, but she drank so much less that she wasn't
peeing, she'd go 9 hours without urinating which is unusual. Also
lethargic and had diahrria. I called him and he said to take her off
the meds for 1 to 2 days. I'm not putting her back on until the
Diahriah is gone.

I began giving her more water, offering it to her, etc. and now she is
peeing somewhat normally again.

Is there any saver, holistic remedy I can discuss with him? I know she
needs medication as she has lost way too much muscle tone in her legs.

I am walking her a lot more to counteract that muscle loss. Seems to
be helping.

Old July 27th 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"The Space Boss" wrote in message
oups.com...
Vet put my dog on Theophyline.

............are you sure? Theophylline is a bronchdilator. This does not
sound right to me.
http://www.brentwoodpetclinic.com/ve...dications.html
Theophylline (Theo-Dur) and Aminophylline are bronchodilators which open up
the large air passages in the lungs. Contact your veterinarian if your pet
experiences an increased heart rate, vomiting, diarrhea, or seizures while
being treated with theophylline or aminophylline.

Are you sure it's not Anipryl? This is usually the treatment of choice
since it's less harsh than Lysodren.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/anipryl.html

She did well for a couple of days, less
panting, less drinking, but she drank so much less that she wasn't
peeing, she'd go 9 hours without urinating which is unusual. Also
lethargic and had diahrria. I called him and he said to take her off
the meds for 1 to 2 days. I'm not putting her back on until the
Diahriah is gone.

I began giving her more water, offering it to her, etc. and now she is
peeing somewhat normally again.

Is there any saver, holistic remedy I can discuss with him?

.......no, unfortunately not.

If your vet did only prescribe theophylline for cushings, I would run, not
walk to a new vet.

overviews of Cushings:
http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old July 27th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"The Space Boss" wrote in message:

Is there any saver, holistic remedy I can discuss with him?

Not that I know of. If you haven't been, this is a good place to go for
advice and support: http://www.caninecushings.net/

Suja

Old July 28th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

I was thinking the same thing. I had a cat who took theopylline for severe
asthma. When my cat had a severe attack and we increased the medication for
short periods she had just the opposite problem she peed even more and had
no bladder control.

Celeste

link.net...

Old July 29th 07, 07:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
The Space Boss

On Jul 27, 4:55 am, "buglady" wrote:
"The Space Boss" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

[...]

Actually she is on TRILOSTANE... sorry about that, she takes or has
taken so many pills I grabbed the wrong bottle.

Old July 29th 07, 11:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"The Space Boss" wrote in message
ups.com...
Actually she is on TRILOSTANE... sorry about that, she takes or has
taken so many pills I grabbed the wrong bottle.

......she's also on a bronchodilator? What else is your dog on? Any chance
you've got drug interactions going on?

.......they've tested enough to know it's pituitary, not adrenal?

.......This human site says diarrhea is a not uncommon side effect, but the
not peeing thing would worry me. Any chance your pup can go on half dose
when you start again? Or that some of the things that are being treated can
be taken care of by addressing the Cushings?
http://www.drugs.com/cons/Trilostane.html

This site references a study that started dogs on fairly low doses:
http://www.everythinggolden.com/new_page_22.htm
The efficacy and safety of trilostane in the treatment of 78 dogs with
confirmed PDH Cushing's was monitored for 3 years. The starting dose varied
from 1.8 to 20 mg/kg (mean = 5.9 mg/kg).

......You must be in the UK. Here's a blurb on Trilostane:
http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proce...A2002&PID=2751

http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/mon...trilostane.asp
The dosage of Trilostane may need to be adjusted during the treatment
period. Some dogs appear to be quite sensitive to the drug initially and
then require a higher maintenance dose.

5 bucks to see full text he
http://www.jaaha.org/cgi/content/abstract/42/4/269

.......at any rate, I'd join the Cushings list to get advice from those in
the midst of this problem.

Old July 30th 07, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds,alt.pets.dogs.labrador
Jim Thomas

On Jul 29, 11:57 am,
"TheSincerelyIncrediblyFreakinInsanelySimplyAmazin gGrandPuppyChildPussyBirdyGoatFerettAndHorseyWizar d"
Human_And_Animal_Behavior_Forensic_Sciences_Resea
wrote:
HOWEDY the space boss,

Cushings is a STRESS INDUCED AUTO-IMMUNE

DIS-EASE caused by constant intermittent
PHOBIC ATTACKS caused by offering and
witholding treats / bribes, "obedience
training" CORRECTIONS and locking dogs
in boxes and ignoring their cries and
just tellin the dog "NO!" several times
a day.

You are so full of crap. No one knows what causes Cushings. We had a
Dalmation with Cushings and we did none of those things. You are a
liar and you say things that will harm dogs. Get off the Internet.

Cushing's Disease buglady Dog health 0 October 30th 05 01:42 PM
Alternative and Holistic medicines/food Simone Dog health 4 October 29th 03 04:10 AM
Alternative and Holistic medicines/food Simone Dog health 0 October 23rd 03 04:54 PM
Cushing's Disease? Something else, hopefully less serious? CG Dog health 0 October 2nd 03 03:51 AM
Cushing's Disease? Something else, hopefully less serious? CG Dog health 0 October 2nd 03 03:51 AM