slippery floors and in the way pups...

Old July 28th 07, 07:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Eddie

Default slippery floors and in the way pups...

Hi ! First time posting... I have a few questions, but I'll post
them separately to keep them topically appropriate...

I'm the new owner of an exuberant 2 month old red toy poodle named
Rusty.

I have a question about slippery floors... are these dangerous to the
dog? I know some dogs are afraid of them, but he seems to love
them... If anything seems to enjoy the tumbles and slides... and
seems to have even gotten the slide factor down to a science,

Another concern I have... he really follows me wherever I go close to
my heals. I do my best to avoid him, but I definitely have set him
sliding a few times (no yelps or injuries) - - Is this something I
need to deal with, or is it a "bumps and bruises of growing up"
thing? That's to say, if I make it too easy for him to follow on my
heals it'll encourage it forever, right? On the other hand, I
definitely don't want to injure him accidentally.

Any words of advice?

Thx!

Old July 29th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

He's a puppy who follows you everywhere. Not a bad habit in my opinion this
way you know where he's at and what he's doing..............less chance of
him getting to things he shouldn't. I prefer my dogs to be that way, some
find it annoying but they are pack animals and actually prefer to be in
human company.

Playing is a puppys life as long as he's not yelping in pain I don't see the
skids as a problem. I have a 3 month old who plays with my 3 year old and
they both chase each other and skid around the kitchen on a daily basis.
You should see the way they play in the yard where they really have room to
open up and zoom around. Gabby gets tumbled through the grass pretty
regularly during these play sessions and she gets back up and does it again.

Celeste

oups.com...

Old July 29th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sun, 29 Jul 2007 00:02:49 GMT, "Spot" wrote:

Gabby gets tumbled through the grass pretty
regularly during these play sessions and she gets back up and does it
again.

Roxy has become very fond recently of rolling Hendrix. He doesn't seem to
mind at all. In fact, he seems to love it! With as big as it looks like
he's going to get, one of these days she's going to run into him and it's
going to be like hitting a brick wall. I'm thinking I may finally need to
get a video camera.

--
Lynne
Old July 29th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

LOL..........I know what you mean. Gabby is growing quick she went from
tiny to 13 lbs in a month. I wouldn't be surprised if she tops out at 20lb
by the middle of next month. For a runt she's catching up quickly. At some
point I have a feeling she's going to be either just as big if not bigger
than Lady.

I'm happy to say I think we finally got the house breaking thing just about
all down. She finally comes and gets you when she needs out. The only time
she has laspses is late in the evening when she's just plain tired out.

Celeste

. 97.142...

Old July 29th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:44:01 GMT, "Spot" wrote:

I'm happy to say I think we finally got the house breaking thing just
about all down. She finally comes and gets you when she needs out.
The only time she has laspses is late in the evening when she's just
plain tired out.

I'm impressed! Just when I think Hendrix has gotten the idea, I realize he
hasn't. He will follow me to the back door and out into the yard to do his
business (followed, of course, by lotso praise), but he will also start
sniffing around the house when he has to go and that's when I pick him up
and take him out.

He's had one accident since the first few days, and it was my fault this
time (as opposed to my daughter's). We were outside and I slipped in the
backdoor to grab my drink. It literally took less than half a minute. I
went back out and didn't see Hendrix and started frantically searching the
yard with the WORST feeling in my stomach. Of course he was inside.
Peeing on the rug. *smacks self*

--
Lynne
Old July 30th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

I guess I was just so spoiled with Barney. When he was a puppy he had one
accident in the house during the housre breaking he just caught right on.
Then when I took in Brandy (older dog) she had it down in three days. The
last was Buddy and he was trained in a week. Lady was pretty much
completely house broken when I got her from my sister. Her accidents were
my fault I didn't know that the boys had taught her to come jump up on their
chest when she needed out. Once it dawned on me what she wanted we had no
accidents. Now breaking her of that habit took well over a year now she
comes and nudges you when she wants out.

Let me tell you there were days I thought my god what did I get into she's
the hardest damned dog I've ever had to house break.

It seems the last week it's all clicking with
her.......................FINALLY!!!!!

Now that's not to say that my rug scrubber hasn't been in
use..................... In the last week and a half she's dragged off a
container of baby powder chewed the lid off it and dumped it on my steps.
Got a bottle of bubble bath that fell behind the tub chewed the lid off it
and got bubble bath all over the top step. Boy does my hallway smell good
now it has the vanilla & sugar smell to it......... And yesterday I found
the toilet plunger in the living room. I guess it was the ultimate chew toy
to her rubber on one end and wood on the other...........LOL Just when I
think I have the house puppy proofed she finds something.

Celeste

. 97.142...

Old July 30th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sun, 29 Jul 2007 23:04:46 GMT, "Spot" wrote:

Just when I
think I have the house puppy proofed she finds something.

So far the only thing Hendrix has gotten was my shovel (!!) and firewood
from the wood pile. Hendrix is never out of our sight, though, so it's
easy.

Roxy, OTOH, had Domino's cinnastix all over the living room rug last
night... (my son swears he thought he put them away. Riiiiiiiight.)

--
Lynne
Old August 1st 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Bobby Knight

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 01:13:10 -0400,
"TheSincerelyIncrediblyFreakinInsanelySimplyAmazin gGrandPuppyChildPussyBirdyGoatFerettAndHorseyWizar d"
Human_And_Animal_Behavior_Forensic_Sciences_Resea
wrote:

clip
I was looking for a news group to discuss dogs...but this idiot has
obviously ruined this specific group. It happens all over Usenet
when lamebrains obtain a computer.

Outta here
bk