Lab colors

Old November 8th 04, 05:33 AM
Aimee Nicole Schantz

Default Lab colors

"Shelly & The Boys" wrote in message

Bodhi is the opposite. He IS black, and by AKC breed definition shoul
be black. But oh the number of people that ask if he is a Tervuren!
That
is the most common guess when people guess his breed.
Shelly & The Boys

I get excited when people ask if Harry is a Terv. Well, it's only happened
once, and she asked if he was a "Tah-ROO-vin." I couldn't figure out what
she was talking about at first, then it dawned on me. It's better than the
"Shepherd Mix" or "Dingo" that I'm used to!

Aimee Nicole Schantz
Brando the APBT
Grant the AmStaf
Harry the Malinois
http://www.odnarb.com
http://www.rosecitydogs.com

Old November 8th 04, 05:52 AM
Aimee Nicole Schantz

"Tara" wrote in message

I did see my first Black & Tan Lab a couple of summers ago!

Tara

One of the vets I work with with field dogs has gotten a handful of them.
You can see the faint markings on the dog on the left, the guy in the middle
(half bro of the dog on the left) is obvious, and the dog on the right
(daughter of the dog on the left) is a plain chocolate.

http://www.odnarb.com/drmdogs.JPG

The black & tan dog is an adult now, and he LOOKS like a Lab, but the color
really messes with your head.

Aimee Nicole Schantz
Brando the APBT
Grant the AmStaf
Harry the Malinois
http://www.odnarb.com
http://www.rosecitydogs.com

Old November 8th 04, 04:20 PM
Cray Fish

Emily Carroll wrote:
" It's greatly made me less frustrated with the fact that Rusty won't
fill out for another 18 months or so. His dam JUST filled out and she's
3.5 yrs. old. I went over a few weeks ago and it was just, "damn, what'd
you feed her?" "

Wow! Your dog is a year old .. so his mom was just 2 and a half (or
younger) when she whelped him? Was he an oops litter or what? She has
a CD and a CGC ... was she even OFA'd prior to pushing out pups?

July 7, 2003 whelped

May 7, 2003 (gu)est. tie

Mar. 30, 2001 Mom's birthdate

Wow.. waited a whole 2 months to breed her!

I thought the breeders on this board were all responsible ones.. guess
its a matter of "Do as I say and not as I do".

##Cray

Old November 8th 04, 04:37 PM
Robin Nuttall

Cray Fish wrote:
Emily Carroll wrote:
" It's greatly made me less frustrated with the fact that Rusty won't
fill out for another 18 months or so. His dam JUST filled out and she's
3.5 yrs. old. I went over a few weeks ago and it was just, "damn, what'd
you feed her?" "

Wow! Your dog is a year old .. so his mom was just 2 and a half (or
younger) when she whelped him? Was he an oops litter or what? She has
a CD and a CGC ... was she even OFA'd prior to pushing out pups?

July 7, 2003 whelped

May 7, 2003 (gu)est. tie

Mar. 30, 2001 Mom's birthdate

Wow.. waited a whole 2 months to breed her!

I thought the breeders on this board were all responsible ones.. guess
its a matter of "Do as I say and not as I do".

A couple of things here.

It's not uncommon, nor is it a bad thing, to breed a bitch for the first
time between age 2 and 3. In fact, it's the best thing to do. Waiting
until the bitch is 4 or 5 to breed her for the first time often can
result in no puppies, small weak litters, and/or whelping problems. It's
like a 22 year old woman having a baby versus a 42 year old woman.

Of course there are exceptions, I know of bitches bred the first time at
5 who had large healthy litters. But those stories are far outnumbered
by the number of people I know who waited, wanting to "title out" their
bitches, then ended up not being able to get puppies at all. Pyometria,
resorption, never taking, dying or having severe whelping problems.
Those stories I have in spades.

So ideally, you breed your bitch for the first time between 2 and 3. You
get some basic titles on her, you get her health testing completed, and
hopefully you're smart enough to know what you've got
working-temperament wise without having to string letters behind her
name--if you *aren't* smart enough to know that you don't need to be
breeding anyway! You then get the breeding stuff out of the way, spay
her by the time she's 4 or 5, and concentrate on working her to those
higher titles.

With males you can wait--at least several years. But the girls have a
limited safe fertility span.

Oh, and what the heck are you thinking, that ALL breeders reading this
forum are responsbile ones! Some are, some aren't. But breeding a bitch
at 2 1/2 doesn't mean it's a bad breeder.

Old November 8th 04, 05:53 PM
Emily Carroll/Fluttervale

"Cray Fish" wrote in message
Emily Carroll wrote:
" It's greatly made me less frustrated with the fact that Rusty won't
fill out for another 18 months or so. His dam JUST filled out and she's
3.5 yrs. old. I went over a few weeks ago and it was just, "damn, what'd
you feed her?" "

Wow! Your dog is a year old .. so his mom was just 2 and a half (or
younger) when she whelped him? Was he an oops litter or what? She has
a CD and a CGC ... was she even OFA'd prior to pushing out pups?

Meadow was bred in May (a week after earning her CD, coincidentally, handled
by MYSELF.) It was a planned litter. It is considered healthier to breed a
bitch early as there is a reduced risk of missed litters, pyos, and other
life-threatening issues when the bitch is young and able to bounce back
quicker.

"Duckie" the sire is OFA Good, elbows, eyes, & heart cleared as well.

His sire is OFA good as well, elbows done, don't have handy the rest of his
info.

Duckie's dam is OFA excellent, elbows & eyes clear as well.

Rusty's Dam, Meadow, was OFA'd the week of her 2nd birthday and is OFA
excellent, elbows, heart as well, eyes CERF normal.

Meadow's dam was OFA Excellent at the age of 6 years.

Meadow's sire is Brody, (AmCh IntCh LuxCh Raintree's Slippery When Wet JH
CGC) and is a top-producer. He is OFA good, elbows normal, heart normal
(all OFA), and Optigen A.

RUSTY will be PennHip & OFA'd this July for all his ortho stuff, eyes &
heart will be done in may. He's already cleared one CERF exam.

Anything else?

Emily Carroll

Old November 8th 04, 06:48 PM
Rocky

Gwen Watson said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Clarification - after looking further it appears we were
both right - Old Yeller in the *book* was a Black Mouth
Cur - but in the movie it was likely a yellow lab.

That's what I recalled about the dog in the movie.
I never read the book. But truthfully it has
been many years since I have seen it.

A good site if you want to ID a movie dog is:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/1910/moviedogad.html

Old Yeller is credited as a Lab mix named Spike that also acted
in "A Dog of Flanders". Apparently, Spike was rescued from a
Van Nuys California shelter. The guy that put the site together
did some of his research on these groups (click on
"Contributors").

Old November 8th 04, 07:00 PM
Rocky

Melanie L Chang said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Working Border Collie bitches are often bred for the first
time relatively late (according to the perspective above)
because you don't really know what you have in many cases
until the bitch is older than 2 or 3.

Breeds that are prone to epilepsy are also better bred later.
Almost all cases of genetic epilepsy exhibit themselves by the
age of 3.