OT - digital cameras

Old August 1st 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

Default OT - digital cameras

Okay, it's time to attempt a shopping trip for a new digital camera. My
first one was a mistake from start to finish. I got some usable stuff out
of it but it was always WAY more trouble than it was worth.

I want a digital camera to take pictures of both stills (posed pictures of
family and friends) and moving shots (of the dogs, both moving around like
normal dog pictures and moving around quickly and at a distance doing
agility). I don't need professional quality shots - just family photo album
level. Most would be printed on 4x6 or 5x7.

I need something that will have a quick reaction when I press the button to
take a picture because the dogs are moving fast doing agility. Our last
camera, in order to get a picture of a dog going over a jump, we had to
focus and press the button before the dog was even in the frame.

A quick recovery for a second or third shot - say while the dog was still on
the same piece of equipment - would be nice.

An agility ring is about 100 x 100. So if I stand at the edge of the ring,
I need to be able to take a picture of a dog navigating the course at up to
100 feet away, although most pictures would/could be closer.

Most pictures would be taken outside.

What sort of numbers do I need to look for in the specifications?

Anybody got any specific cameras that they want to suggest?

I've been looking at some ads on the (no laughing here) AARP Marketplace and
they seem to have some good prices for Canon Powershot and Sony Cybershot.
But outside of not wanting to repeat my previous mistake with the Kodak I
have, I know very little.

Thanks!

Judy

Old August 1st 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
I've been looking at some ads on the (no laughing here) AARP Marketplace and
they seem to have some good prices for Canon Powershot and Sony Cybershot.

I've had a Sony for a bunch of years and I'm not that happy
with it. Granted, we're a bunch of generations past that
technology now but I really think that Sony doesn't know how
to do user interfaces. On the other hand the Cybershot has
gotten good reviews.

If you're really interested in being able to shoot fast and
shoot sequences a digital SLR is probably your best bet, but
there are viewfinder cameras that are okay. People will
tend to recommend whatever it is they've got, so I think
your best bet if you've got the patience is reviews.
cnet.com is probably the most comprehensive review website
for consumers.

Old August 1st 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Judy" wrote in message:

Anybody got any specific cameras that they want to suggest?

There are a ton of places out there that have camera reviews and ratings.
This is just one that I found:
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/rat...=PointandShoot You
can do further research here, once you narrow things down a bit:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Once you've found a few cameras that have all the features you want, go out
to a store and handle them. You may find out that you don't like how they
feel or the buttons are in the wrong place, for example. Also consider
whether you want something with a viewfinder (like you do in an old
fashioned camera) or not. IME, viewfinders come in pretty handy when you're
out in the sun or taking a gazillion pictures, since it won't drain the
battery as fast. Whatever you do, get a really good sized memory card so
you don't have to constantly dump your pictures.

Me, I'm still thrilled with my old and obsolete Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5
(some friends have the higher model, the FZ7 and are happy with it as well).
It takes terrific pictures, and has excellent zoom and image stabilization
(anything with a good zoom must have image stabilization). It has some sort
of "burst" feature that allows you to take something like 3 or 5 pictures
with one click, although I haven't used it much. It allows for night
photography and has settings for when you want to take pictures of a moving
object, among other things. Covers all the basics well, although the movie
capability is on the low end. All these features in one reasonably priced
package was hard to find at the time, but I'd be surprised if most of the
top cameras didn't have all these capabilities, and more.

Suja

Old August 1st 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Aug 1, 5:35 pm, "Judy" wrote:
[...]

I put a lot of research into my digital camera purchase, which was
back in November of last year. At the time one of the highest
reviewed cameras was the Canon Powershot SD700 IS. So I got it, and I
have been nothing but pleased with it. However, I don't use it for
very many action shots, so I would recommend you look into it, but I
won't go so far as to say it is the camera for you. For taking non-
action stills it is a great camera that was recommended to me
initially from professional photographers as the camera they would use
when they don't have their SLR camera (when they want something small
they can toss in a bag).

It does do a great job at taking pictures of my aquarium fish, which
it is the first camera I have owned that has over a 1 in 10 rate of
clear pictures of them. With it, most pictures of my fish are worth
keeping, maybe 1 in 10 are tossed based on clarity. Which is nice
because I can than pick the pictures to keep based on content instead
of clarity.

Again, not saying it is going to be the camera for you based on your
requirements, but it would be a good starting point in your search
based on my experiences with it.

Nick

Old August 1st 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
I've had a Sony for a bunch of years and I'm not that happy
with it. Granted, we're a bunch of generations past that
technology now but I really think that Sony doesn't know how
to do user interfaces. On the other hand the Cybershot has
gotten good reviews.

I've never been disappointed with anything I've bought with the Sony name on
it. OTOH, I always look at it and wonder how much I paid for the name.

I try never to order fish in a steakhouse. And in that same vein, it might
be wise to be a little cautious about a Sony camera - although they
certainly have always been strong in camcorders.

If you're really interested in being able to shoot fast and
shoot sequences a digital SLR is probably your best bet, but
there are viewfinder cameras that are okay. People will
tend to recommend whatever it is they've got,

Yeah, I figure that's true. Or NOT recommend what they've got. Either way,
it still has *some* value.
so I think

your best bet if you've got the patience is reviews.
cnet.com is probably the most comprehensive review website
for consumers.

I will try that. As hot as it's going to be tomorrow, sitting inside where
it's 75 degrees checking out stuff on the computer sounds like a good plan.

That and I've got the new Harry Potter, a Tami Hoag novel, a book on
planning non-traditional funerals and memorials services (don't need it -
yet) and UPS should deliver the new Robert B. Parker.

As much as I've missed agility trials in the past couple of weeks, this
upcoming weekend in Brewerton sounds like a scorcher - which just does not
make either me or Spenser too enthused about sitting around in a tent and
then running!

Thanks,
Judy

Old August 1st 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Suja" wrote in message

There are a ton of places out there that have camera reviews and ratings.
This is just one that I found:
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/rat...=PointandShoot
You
can do further research here, once you narrow things down a bit:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Thanks. I will do that. As I said before, tomorrow's going to be really,
really hot here and spending the afternoon reading camera reviews sounds
like a good plan.

Once you've found a few cameras that have all the features you want, go
out
to a store and handle them. You may find out that you don't like how they
feel or the buttons are in the wrong place, for example.

Good advice. When you're grabbing a camera to take a quick picture, it does
matter how naturally your fingers fall on the controls. I should have done
this with the last hand mixer I bought - it has a speed control that is
actually dangerous in my hands.

Also consider
whether you want something with a viewfinder (like you do in an old
fashioned camera) or not. IME, viewfinders come in pretty handy when
you're
out in the sun or taking a gazillion pictures, since it won't drain the
battery as fast.

Okay. Another good thought.

Whatever you do, get a really good sized memory card so
you don't have to constantly dump your pictures.

Now see, I'm completely old fashioned about this sort of thing. I'm likely
to dump my pictures - either into my computer or really dump them - every
chance I get. I'm always worried that I'll lose them somehow.

[...]

All that sounds like things that I need. (And thanks for the reminder to
check on image stabilization, although I suspect it's mostly standard now)
I don't really care about the movie capability. We've talked about a
camcorder (with no grandchildren, we haven't taken that step yet) but I
suspect that it would be better to have two separate pieces of equipment
rather than expect an all-in-one to do it all as well.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Judy

Old August 1st 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

wrote in message
ups.com...
I put a lot of research into my digital camera purchase, which was
back in November of last year. At the time one of the highest
reviewed cameras was the Canon Powershot SD700 IS.

The website I had has a Canon Powershot S3 IS for $314. Off-hand, that
seems like a reasonable price for what they say it does. It does have what
seems to be a better movie capability than I would care about.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Judy

Old August 2nd 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 18:47:05 -0400, "Judy"
wrote:

[...]
All that sounds like things that I need. (And thanks for the reminder to
check on image stabilization, although I suspect it's mostly standard now)

Reading your requirements (mostly for agility trials, 100 feet away
from moving subjects, etc.), I don't think you'll be satisfied with a
compact. Only a DSLR can really give you that quick shutter response
for action shots, IMO.

The Nikon D40 is an entry level DSLR, and it's also capable of using
all those great Nikon lenses.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...nikon_d40.html

Slap that long 70-300mm lens on it (105-450mm equivalent) and you can
really reach out and touch those dogs. It comes with the Nikon
equivalent of image stabilization (Vibration Reduction).

Canon's entry level DSLR is the Rebel XTi.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../rebelxti.html

Fine camera, has great lens, too.

With cameras and lenses, that old saying, "you get what you pay for,"
is particularly valid.

Two really good places to visit:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

http://www.dpreview.com/

Good luck!

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Oooh. That's gonna leave a mark.
http://wrongbob.com/et.html

Good news about Iraq is apparently a "problem" for Democrats. spit

"Liberals used to be the ones who argued that sending U.S. troops abroad was a
small price to pay to stop genocide; now they argue that genocide is a small price
to pay to bring U.S. troops home."
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...djZGJiMjFjZmQ=

"Shooting Michael Moore," a new documentary. Yo! Judith! Payback's a bitch, eh?
http://www.shootingmichaelmoore.com/about/index.htm
Old August 2nd 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in message
Reading your requirements (mostly for agility trials, 100 feet away
from moving subjects, etc.), I don't think you'll be satisfied with a
compact. Only a DSLR can really give you that quick shutter response
for action shots, IMO.

Huh. More things to think about.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...nikon_d40.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../rebelxti.html

I took a quick look at these. They're worth a longer look tomorrow when I
have more time. That's more than I *want* to spend. However, if it takes
that to do what I want a camera to do, then spending less is a waste. So I
need to look a little closer.

With cameras and lenses, that old saying, "you get what you pay for,"
is particularly valid.

Yeah, it is. I know that. Up to a point certainly. But when DH was
shopping for a new spotting scope (otherwise known as our dining room table
centerpiece), he determined that while the Zeiss and that level of spotting
scopes *were* better, they weren't *that* much better!

Two really good places to visit:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

http://www.dpreview.com/

Thanks for the thoughts!

When I told DH that I was going to ask the dog group about digital cameras,
he was confused. Now he's a little impressed! Now when I explain to him
that I'm actually doing research for the birthday present he's going to buy
me late this month, it will all be clear again.

Judy

Old August 2nd 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sionnach

"Judy" wrote in message
"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in message
Reading your requirements (mostly for agility trials, 100 feet away
from moving subjects, etc.), I don't think you'll be satisfied with a
compact. Only a DSLR can really give you that quick shutter response
for action shots, IMO.

Huh. More things to think about.

He's right - no point-and-shoot type digital camera is going to give you
satisfactory action shots, especially not of agility. I'm a Nikon person
myself. For starting out with a DSLR, I'd recommend the D40 with kit lens
for everyday shots. The kit lens is a wide-angle to short zoom with fast,
silent focus and a decent aperture range; it's lightweight and will get very
nice shots in a lot of conditions.
If you want to shoot decent agility shots, though, he's also absolutely
correct that you're really going to need a fast telephoto lens - "fast"
meaning "having a wide fixed aperture (2.8f) to let in lots of light so you
can use fast shutter speeds".
The affordable (relatively speaking) longer lenses in that aperture are
going to be 70-200; if Nikon's too pricey, the Sigma lenses are decent.