after spaying activity. . .

Old August 5th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default after spaying activity. . .

Hi All: We just got our 6 month old lab spayed about 24 hours ago. All
went well. We've been very pleased with our vet, however, she was very
firm about post surgery activity levels. She recommends "leash walks
only to eliminate outside for 10-14 days."

No fetch in the house, no running.

We are already beginning to feel that this may be impossible! We had
two other dogs spayed and don't recall enduring these strict post-op
instructions.

Have things really changed that much in the 10 years since we had our
last dog spayed?

Does anyone have any clever suggestion for how to stimulate this pup,
so we don't all go crazy?

Many thanks for your time.
Karen

Old August 5th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

Keep the dog restrained like they say the last thing you want is an
abdominal hernia from too much activity or the stitches coming out. It's
just common sense to not let them run and romp around.

Celeste

ps.com...

Old August 5th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi All: We just got our 6 month old lab spayed about 24 hours ago. All
went well. We've been very pleased with our vet, however, she was very
firm about post surgery activity levels. She recommends "leash walks
only to eliminate outside for 10-14 days."

No fetch in the house, no running.

We are already beginning to feel that this may be impossible! We had
two other dogs spayed and don't recall enduring these strict post-op
instructions.

Have things really changed that much in the 10 years since we had our
last dog spayed?

Changed? As of 15.5 and 12 years ago, my vet gave the same 10-14
day restriction instructions for my dogs.

Does anyone have any clever suggestion for how to stimulate this pup,
so we don't all go crazy?

Take the opportunity to have lots and lots of short sessions
teaching basic obedience and "tricks." It will keep her mentally
occupied without giving her a lot of exercise. Also a good time
to introduce a clicker as a secondary reinforcer into the
training, so that you're not feeding her a lot while teaching the
tricks.

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old August 5th 07, 07:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi All: We just got our 6 month old lab spayed about 24 hours ago. All
went well. We've been very pleased with our vet, however, she was very
firm about post surgery activity levels. She recommends "leash walks
only to eliminate outside for 10-14 days."

No fetch in the house, no running.

We are already beginning to feel that this may be impossible! We had
two other dogs spayed and don't recall enduring these strict post-op
instructions.

Have things really changed that much in the 10 years since we had our
last dog spayed?

Does anyone have any clever suggestion for how to stimulate this pup,
so we don't all go crazy?

Many thanks for your time.
Karen

I may have been "lucky" with "Lucky" during her post-spay period. She was
kept fairly quiet during the first 24 hours after surgery, and I was not
there to observe. I took her to my home the next evening, accompanied by my
friend (who is a nurse), and we allowed her and my dog Muttley some
unleashed time in a fenced yard. We called them back when they started to
run and play, however.

For the next couple of days, I was fairly careful, but still allowed both
dogs free run of the house. She was in a kennel for one day, but then back
home, and I again allowed both dogs free run of the house, even while I was
away. Both of them seemed fairly sedate, however. I'm sure a Lab puppy is
much more active, and that could be a problem.

My trainer suggested that cutting back or eliminating the pain medication
might help keep her less active, so she would feel any pain and
automatically restrict her movements. Also, my friend has used Benedryl to
calm dogs down, and my vet confirmed that this was OK, at a dose of 1
mg/lb. I gave her one 25 mg gelcap (wrapped in cream cheese), and it may
have helped, even though three would have been about as recommended for her
70 lb. I would urge you to check with your vet before trying either of
these ideas. Please!

I think some vets are more cautious than others, and it also probably
depends on the size of the incision, the type of sutures, and the general
size and health of the dog. You can read some of the discussion about
Lucky's "disintaction" in the still active thread I posted 7/24/07. It is
important to examine the incision every day, looking for redness, swelling,
oozing, or sensitivity. I was also told that I should monitor her
temperature daily, looking for anything over a dog's normal 101-102. I did
not feel comfortable about sticking a probe in her butt, so I skipped this
precaution, but sometimes a spay can cause peritonitis, which is a
potentially deadly abdominal infection. Again, ask your vet.

Paul, Muttley, and Lucky

Old August 5th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Paul E. Schoen wrote:

I may have been "lucky" with "Lucky" during her post-spay period.

You can say that again. Your treatment of her put her at high
risk of post-op complications.

My trainer suggested that cutting back or eliminating the pain medication
might help keep her less active, so she would feel any pain and
automatically restrict her movements.

Your trainer sounds pretty sadistic to me. Have YOU tried
cutting back on your post-op pain meds, so that the pain informs
you when you're trying to do too much? Please do try it the next
time you have abdominal surgery, and then think back to the
consequences this treatment had for your dog.

I think some vets are more cautious than others, and it also probably
depends on the size of the incision, the type of sutures, and the general
size and health of the dog.

IME the 10-14 day restriction is standard, on printed post-op
forms that the vets hand out for every spay patient (e.g., for
the typical healthy young dogs who are spayed). If the dog has
health problems, the vet will increase the restrictions.

I was also told that I should monitor her
temperature daily, looking for anything over a dog's normal 101-102. I did
not feel comfortable about sticking a probe in her butt, so I skipped this
precaution

Get over it. You are responsible for monitoring the health of
the dogs in your care. If you can't do what's necessary, you
shouldn't take on the responsibility. At some time in the future
Muttley may have an illness that requires you to monitor his
temperature, or clean up his puke or diarrhea, or give him an
injection. Will you refuse to take on these less-than-fun jobs
because you're not comfortable?

FurPaw

Old August 5th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

FurPaw wrote in
:

Your trainer sounds pretty sadistic to me.

It's been seven years since Harriet was spayed, but at the time, she
was given no pain meds (or antibiotics). There seems to be a trend
toward giving post-op pain meds, but it is still not universal.

Have YOU tried
cutting back on your post-op pain meds, so that the pain informs
you when you're trying to do too much?

I believe he said that's what he does, in fact, do. I don't think
"What would you do?" is necessarily a good way to convince people of
their wrong-headedness, because there is no accounting for the
dumbassedness of some folks.

IME the 10-14 day restriction is standard, on printed post-op
forms that the vets hand out for every spay patient

I've never been given *any* kind of post-op forms or hand-outs, and
I've had quite a few surgeries done on several pets by a lot of
different vets.

At some time in the future
Muttley may have an illness that requires you to monitor his
temperature, or clean up his puke or diarrhea, or give him an
injection. Will you refuse to take on these less-than-fun jobs
because you're not comfortable?

Pet ownership is not for the squeamish!

--
Shelly
Old August 5th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Shelly wrote:
I've never been given *any* kind of post-op forms or hand-outs, and
I've had quite a few surgeries done on several pets by a lot of
different vets.

Really? I've never not had one, at least in the last decade
or so.

Old August 5th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 11:13:34 -0600, FurPaw
wrote:

[...]
Your trainer sounds pretty sadistic to me.

sigh

Have YOU tried
cutting back on your post-op pain meds, so that the pain informs
you when you're trying to do too much?

IMO, a little pain ain't so bad, if it helps to keep the animal
immobile (helping to avoid the potential for serious repercussions).

Presumably, that makes me a "sadist," too.

Along with the vast majority of veterinarians I know.

Hmmmm.

I can live with that.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Bridges Don’t Kill People; Congressional Earmarks Kill People.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/weeken.../?id=110010425

Slimy, corrupt Democrats try to pull fast one in Congress.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecry..._in_chaos.html

The Truth About Iraq and Vietnam.
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...B-B38E6EFC1453

"Reality-based" talk-show host blames Bush for bridge collapse in Minneapolis. No, I'm not kidding.
http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/ed_...ge_collap se/

Oooh. That's gonna leave a mark.
http://wrongbob.com/et.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBvCrSjpx9I

Good news about Iraq is apparently a "problem" for Democrats. spit

"Liberals used to be the ones who argued that sending U.S. troops abroad was a
small price to pay to stop genocide; now they argue that genocide is a small price
to pay to bring U.S. troops home."
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...djZGJiMjFjZmQ=

"Shooting Michael Moore," a new documentary. Yo! Judith! Payback's a bitch, eh?
http://www.shootingmichaelmoore.com/about/index.htm
Old August 5th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:

Have YOU tried
cutting back on your post-op pain meds, so that the pain informs
you when you're trying to do too much?

IMO, a little pain ain't so bad, if it helps to keep the animal
immobile (helping to avoid the potential for serious repercussions).

Wouldn't the two go together? In my experience, anything strong enough
to relieve pain is strong enough to make me drowsy to the point of immobile.

I agree that a little pain isn't so bad, but we don't know what an
animal is feeling to that fine a point. Then there's the business of
how people and probably animals respond to pain and medications
differently. I'll put up with quite a lot of pain because I hate the
stoned feeling of drugs more. (I surprised my dentists when I said I
preferred to get my fillings replaced all at once and without novocaine.
It hurt, but I made the right decision. Novocaine hurts worse.)

We know that post-op must hurt, and we know what a whimper means, but
we don't have the 1-10 scale that human hospital patients have. It
makes sense to me to medicate for pain AND keep the dog from hurting
herself from trying to do too much.

It was so long ago that I don't remember what the veterinarian
recommended for Genny when she was spayed. It couldn't have given me
too much trouble. I would have remembered that. Thinking about it now,
how hard could keeping a dog quiet and in a crate for 2 weeks be? If
you need to walk the dog, you walk her slowly on a leash. I guess there
are dogs who go ballistic in a crate so it might take some doing.

--Lia