Pics - Post yours here

Old November 9th 04, 01:38 AM
Eric

Default Pics - Post yours here

I got it, thanks for the response. I questioned the doctor on the
anti-inflammatory Metacam being bad, or too strong for him, and he
said it was one of the weakest ones and that it shouldn't hurt him too
bad. He said it was a long term anti-inflammatory.

Thanks for the advice!

"Christy" wrote in message news:ROfjd.898$SC5.208@trnddc01...
"Dvd_Stuff" wrote in message
om...
In the past we had him on some anti-inflammatory (I cannot remember
the name) and it seemed to work really well. During the time period
he was on it, he was not paying his leg much attention. As soon as we
took him off th anti-inflamms he began to hold his leg up in the air
about 60% of the time.

That X-Ray picture was taken 1 week ago, and the vet gave use METACAM
- Meloxicam - Anti-Inflammatory. He seems to be a little better since
we put him on it, but I believe we're going to have to get him the
surgery. Poor little guy. Are there any risks in such a surgery? I
want to make him as comfortable as possible, but I don't want him to
loose a leg in the process. What are your thoughts on that?

His 1 year birthday is November 9th.

Geez, poor baby! My boy was diagnosed at 3 and he did not have nearly as
much bone calcification in the joint.
Personally, if the anti-inflammatories are working, I would continue on that
course, along with glucosamine/chondroitin. I'm not sure of the side effects
of Metacam, and you should talk to your vet about any need for monitoring
blood work (like with Rimadyl, which can have serious side effects on the
liver, so dogs taking the med should be monitored.)
Any surgery will have risks, and if the problem can be managed without
surgery, it would be my preference. You may have to consider surgery if the
problem is worsening or the non-surgical management is not keeping him out
of pain, and it may be better to do it now while he's young rather. However,
if you can manage it for years without surgery and have the same rate of
success when he is older, that may be the way to go. Really, you should talk
to your vet and if he's not experienced in this situation, get a consult
with another vet. Good luck!
Christy