Non-mother dog lactating

Old August 7th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Nehmo

Default Non-mother dog lactating

I have a 4 year old female dog and her mother, about 8 years older.
The younger one had pups, eight of them. Now here's the unusual part:
the two female dogs are sharing all the mothering responsibilities,
cleaning, watching out for, and nursing the pups. That's right, the
old female is lactating, and the pups are suckling off both.

I didn't know dogs could do this. Is this common? Does it happen in
other mammals?

--
(||) Nehmo (||)

Old August 7th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

Nehmo spoke these words of wisdom in
oups.com:

I have a 4 year old female dog and her mother, about 8 years older.
The younger one had pups, eight of them. Now here's the unusual part:
the two female dogs are sharing all the mothering responsibilities,
cleaning, watching out for, and nursing the pups. That's right, the
old female is lactating, and the pups are suckling off both.

I didn't know dogs could do this. Is this common? Does it happen in
other mammals?

--
(||) Nehmo (||)

It's a false pregnancy. It's not all that uncommon.
Old August 7th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

Nehmo wrote:

I have a 4 year old female dog and her mother, about 8 years older.
The younger one had pups, eight of them. Now here's the unusual part:
the two female dogs are sharing all the mothering responsibilities,
cleaning, watching out for, and nursing the pups. That's right, the
old female is lactating, and the pups are suckling off both.

I didn't know dogs could do this. Is this common? Does it happen in
other mammals?

I don't think it's that uncommon. I've seen the reverse. Older dog
with a litter, post-pubescent daughter on the premises. Daughter dog
begins to lactate and shares nursing and parenting of half/sibs with her
mother.

Old August 8th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

"Kathleen" wrote in message
Nehmo wrote:

I have a 4 year old female dog and her mother, about 8 years older.
The younger one had pups, eight of them. Now here's the unusual part:
the two female dogs are sharing all the mothering responsibilities,
cleaning, watching out for, and nursing the pups. That's right, the
old female is lactating, and the pups are suckling off both.

I didn't know dogs could do this. Is this common? Does it happen in
other mammals?

I don't think it's that uncommon. I've seen the reverse. Older dog with
a litter, post-pubescent daughter on the premises. Daughter dog begins
to lactate and shares nursing and parenting of half/sibs with her mother.

I have heard from someone that it is actually possible for a male human to
lactate, although probably not enough to feed a baby. Maybe with
supplemental estrogen? And I think it's also possible for a male to carry a
fetus to full term by having it surgically implanted in the abdomen and
then having a cesarian for removal. I haven't looked this up on "dogpile"
yet. And I don't know if male dogs can lactate.

Paul and the Lucky Mutts

Old August 8th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

And I think it's also possible for a male to carry a fetus to full term by
having it surgically implanted in the abdomen and then having a cesarian
for removal. I haven't looked this up on "dogpile" yet.

Not without a uterus and placenta, not to mention the right hormones.

Old August 8th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

On Aug 7, 9:25 am, Nehmo wrote:
I have a 4 year old female dog and her mother, about 8 years older.
The younger one had pups, eight of them. Now here's the unusual part:
the two female dogs are sharing all the mothering responsibilities,
cleaning, watching out for, and nursing the pups. That's right, the
old female is lactating, and the pups are suckling off both.

I didn't know dogs could do this. Is this common? Does it happen in
other mammals?

Human females can induce lactation (with nipple stimulation, usually a
breast pump). It's much easier to do if there has been a previous
pregnancy, but can be and is done by women who want to nurse adopted
babies. Without a previous pregnancy, the woman will usually have to
supplement her breast milk. Women who have been pregnant in the past
(doesn't have to be recent past) can often fully support a baby with
her own milk.

Old August 8th 07, 11:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Paul E. Schoen wrote:
And I think it's also possible for a male to carry a
fetus to full term by having it surgically implanted in the abdomen and
then having a cesarian for removal.

Uh-huh.

Old August 8th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 22:38:30 -0400, "Paul E. Schoen"
wrote:

I have heard from someone that it is actually possible for a male human to
lactate, although probably not enough to feed a baby. Maybe with
supplemental estrogen? And I think it's also possible for a male to carry a
fetus to full term by having it surgically implanted in the abdomen and
then having a cesarian for removal. I haven't looked this up on "dogpile"
yet. And I don't know if male dogs can lactate.

Good God almighty, is there no end to the absolute drivel you spew?

Mustang Sally

Old August 8th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message
I think it's also possible for a male to carry a
fetus to full term by having it surgically implanted in the abdomen and
then having a cesarian for removal.

..............only in the movies......

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old August 8th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health

buglady wrote:
"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message
I think it's also possible for a male to carry a
fetus to full term by having it surgically implanted in the abdomen and
then having a cesarian for removal.

.............only in the movies......

Mr. Schoen is chock full of BS. I also think he may have a
difficult time telling conceptual art from reality:

http://www.malepregnancy.com/

--
Shelly