Breed, sized between Beagle and Lab

Old November 9th 04, 09:05 PM
Jeepers

Default Breed, sized between Beagle and Lab

In article ,
"Tee" wrote:

Have you considered a purebred Boxer?

Now I am.

What else, between the size of a Beagle and a Boxer in short hair, is
there?

--
Member AAAAAAAA
American Association Against Acronym Abuse And Also Ambiguity.

Old November 11th 04, 08:25 PM
Tracy Custer

Have you considered an Australian Cattle Dog (blue heeler, as they are
sometimes called) or a cattle dog mix? We rescue them in Ohio, and have
placed many in homes just like yours where people are looking for a
companion, medium energy level, guard dog, (not for herding). They are a
herd breed by nature, although there are many out there with out the
instinct. They go between 15-20" tall and 25-45#, short hair, very
velcro. Of course, if you look into the breed, I would recommend
getting one through a rescue because they can be your typical high
energy herding breed, some will herd your livestock (and your lawn
mower, your tires, your kids, etc). They are not a breed for everyone,
but if you were to find an adult with the right temperment, they are
incredible dogs, loyal, very family oriented, love to ride in trucks
with their people. If you are interested, let me know where you are
located, and I can put you in contact with a local cattle dog rescue.
That way you can talk to them, visit and meet some, and see if it might
be what you are after.

Boxers are also a great choice, as would be mixes of cattle dog-lab,
border collie-lab, smaller shepherd mixes. For the life of me, I can't
come up with any other purebreds, between boxer/beagle size that would
stick around on a farm. Maybe GS pointers?

T.

Old November 11th 04, 10:06 PM
Jeepers

(Tracy Custer) wrote:

[...]

I'm looking at Dals right now. There are tons of blue heelers in these
parts, but I don't need one.

Old November 12th 04, 04:05 PM
Zep

Ever heard of an Entlebucher Mountain Dog. I guess not. They are
related to the Bernese Mountain Dogs, but smaller and short-haired.
They are Swiss dogs that were used as farmdogs. They prefer to be with
you the entire day and love to work. They grow up to 16 to 20 inches
and 45 to 65 pounds.

Entlebucher are good watch dogs and can be used as herd dog. They're
intelligent family-dogs.

If you're looking for more information, get in touch with NEMDA
www.nemda.org

Job

Jeepers wrote in message ...
In article ,
"Tee" wrote:

"Jeepers" wrote in message
Short hair. Suggestions?

There are a ton of breeds with short or "smooth" coats of medium size. Your
ideal companion's energy, intelligence, drive, personality & trainability
will be what narrows the list down some. To narrow it down further you'd
need to make known your expectations for the dog. Will the dog be raised
with children and if so what ages, will the dog be a housepet, outside dog,
jogging partner or are you looking for a couch potato? Are you looking for
a quiet dog or one who will bark at the presence of other people & animals?

We are ranchers, but don't really need a herd dog. Our last dog was a
large cross between a boxer and lab. He was a great dog, not too bright,
but dedicated, and daunting and a good watchdog. He lived to eight with
two rattlesnake bites. We feel his loss not only as a family member but
my wife feels we have no "sentry" anymore. I'd like to get another big
dog, but they have their restrictions (feed, laps, table clearing tails)
but I also enjoyed the presence of a dog no one was going to just punt
away. I saw some Beagles for sale in our small town, but I don't enjoy
their bark, I was thinking of something smaller than a Lab too. I'd like
a companion dog, uses a dog door, guards, not afraid of guns or
strangers and can ride in a truck well. Bigger than a toaster, smaller
than a house.

Old November 12th 04, 06:51 PM
Jeepers

(Zep) wrote:

Ever heard of an Entlebucher Mountain Dog. I guess not. They are
related to the Bernese Mountain Dogs, but smaller and short-haired.
They are Swiss dogs that were used as farmdogs. They prefer to be with
you the entire day and love to work. They grow up to 16 to 20 inches
and 45 to 65 pounds.

Entlebucher are good watch dogs and can be used as herd dog. They're
intelligent family-dogs.

If you're looking for more information, get in touch with NEMDA
www.nemda.org

Job

I looked into it. I don't see any breeders in Texas. Looks interesting
tho, but it would have to be a bit closer, I don't buy animals sight
unseen. I'll keep looking.

Old November 12th 04, 06:53 PM
Jeepers

(Zep) wrote:

Entlebucher

pronounce this please

Old November 12th 04, 09:36 PM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:06:05 -0600 Jeepers whittled these words:

I'm looking at Dals right now. There are tons of blue heelers in these
parts, but I don't need one.

Dalmatians are bred to run. Chilling out around the homestead is not one
of their strong points. They are also often not good around livestock,
especially if they manage to get around them unsupervised.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old November 13th 04, 09:27 PM
Natalie Rigertas

Jeepers wrote:

Since your dog was bitten twice by a venomous snake, you might want to
look into snake avoidance training. There are trainers in every state
with venomous snakes who do this. Some use live (non-venomous) snakes to
do the training, and there is someone I'v heard of in...FL? that uses
plastic snakes that look like the real ones, and has just as good a
success rate as using live snakes.

I'm having trouble getting my browser to resolve things, but this link is
to someone who does snake avoidance training in TX:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/expo/exp...fe/index.phtml Even if
the person isn't local to you, they can recommend someone who is local,
and who has experience with it.

This is something I will be doing if I have to move to the south in a
couple years, as it looks like I might be doing.

natalie

--

What fresh hell is this?
--- Dorothy Parker
Old November 15th 04, 03:32 AM
Jeepers

Natalie Rigertas wrote:

Jeepers wrote:

Since your dog was bitten twice by a venomous snake, you might want to
look into snake avoidance training.

The first bite got him in the face, he never even knew it was there,
avoidance training wouldn't have helped - I was there. The second time
he was alerting my bumbling daughter to it's presence, otherwise she
would have been bitten. The 10 year old girl carried him nearly a
quarter of a mile back to the house, he weighed nearly 80 pounds, she
was bawling when she appeared.

I've only had the one dog, of many of my dogs, be bitten. It was a fluke
he got it twice.

There are trainers in every state
with venomous snakes who do this. Some use live (non-venomous) snakes to
do the training, and there is someone I'v heard of in...FL? that uses
plastic snakes that look like the real ones, and has just as good a
success rate as using live snakes.

After his experience he wasn't real happy with my son's big rubber
snake. He barked and growled and kept his distance.

I'm having trouble getting my browser to resolve things, but this link is
to someone who does snake avoidance training in TX:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/expo/exp...fe/index.phtml Even if
the person isn't local to you, they can recommend someone who is local,
and who has experience with it.

Thanks, I have several friends who work for Texas Parks and Wildlife,
some are biologists, several are archeologists and one is a ranger in
Big Bend. As a matter of fact I saw two of them this weekend while we
were doing volunteer work at Sonora Caverns doing restoration work in
the cave. I'm a spelunker.

This is something I will be doing if I have to move to the south in a
couple years, as it looks like I might be doing.

natalie

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm not too worried about snakes. Parvo and
rabies and cattle pose more of a threat to our dogs. It was just that he
had several years taken off his time with us due to the snakes. He had
his own snake training, he was a veteran snake spotter after his two
incidents, he was real good at alerting us to Joe-no-shoulders after
that.