Shih tzu puppy paper training

Old August 13th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rob[_2_]

Default Shih tzu puppy paper training

Hi,

I have a 10 weeks Shih Tzu and I am having problems for paper training
her. This is the scenario:

- I put a excercise pen in my basement with a pad in one side and her
water and bed with some toys in the other side.
- My goal is to make her go to the basement to drink water, pee and
poo. Also, in fixed times I will put her food there as well

- Myself and my wife work all day long, so the puppy stays in the pen
all day long by herself. She mostly make all her pee and poop in the
correct place (pad), when locked inside the pen.

The problem:

As soon as we get at home, we get her from the exercise pen and start
monitoring her. When I notice she is doing some "pee dancing", I bring
her to the basement and place her inside the exercise pen, but I can
stay there forever and nothing. When I forgive and bring her upstairs,
she quickly pee or poo.

Then, I say strongly NO and bring her to the pad, but it seems to not
be working.

So, anyone has any tip the best way to training my puppy to make her
"needs" in the basement? I wouldn't like to put a pad in the main
floor's washroom, for instance, once I prefer to have her making her
needs in the basement.

Thanks!

Rob.

Old August 13th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
CanineDivine

So, anyone has any tip the best way to training my puppy to make
her "needs" in the basement?

I can't imagine having a wee pup crawling up and down stairs on its
own. Make it easy for her to succeed. Put a pad in the bathroom
upstairs.

Hope

Old August 13th 07, 11:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"CanineDivine" wrote in message
ups.com...
So, anyone has any tip the best way to training my puppy to make
her "needs" in the basement?

I can't imagine having a wee pup crawling up and down stairs on its
own. Make it easy for her to succeed. Put a pad in the bathroom
upstairs.

Hope

============
I agree; I also can't imagine a small puppy to be expected to go down to a
basement to pee and poop on a pad.
For a small pup like that to even go up and down basement stairs alone is
scary enough, but to expect it to go down the stairs, pee on a pad and come
back up seems impossible to me.

Old August 13th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rob[_2_]

On Aug 13, 12:52 am, CanineDivine wrote:
So, anyone has any tip the best way to training my puppy to make
her "needs" in the basement?

I can't imagine having a wee pup crawling up and down stairs on its
own. Make it easy for her to succeed. Put a pad in the bathroom
upstairs.

Hope

Hi,

First of all thanks for your advise. Putting a pad in the upstairs
bathroom will not make the puppy understand that this is her bathroom
"forever"? I mean, will not be hard to move it to the basement later
on?

I am bringing her to the basement as soon as she start smelling the
floor. And it's not working. When she gets her exercise pen, nothing
happen. She just start playing or sleep. I am pretty sure both of you
are right, however my only concern if about her understanding the
upstair bathroom to be the permanent one.

Thanks!

Rob

Old August 13th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article . com,
Rob wrote:

First of all thanks for your advise. Putting a pad in the upstairs
bathroom will not make the puppy understand that this is her bathroom
"forever"? I mean, will not be hard to move it to the basement later
on?

I still can't figure out why it's more desirable to take her to the
basement than just teach her to eliminate outdoors. Why don't you want
her going OUTside?

--
Janet Boss
Old August 13th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

===========
I am guessing that it is the pad that she recognizes to pee on and not the
room the pad is in.
Years ago, when I had a Lhasa Apso puppy, I laid a paper on one part of the
kitchen floor and put baby gates up to separate the kitchen from the other
rooms. I trained the pup to go on the paper and then each day moved the
paper closer to the back door until one day it was on the top stair of the
back stairway. Then, I moved the paper down the stairs and onto the grass
where the pup peed from then on. He never peed or pooped off of the paper
while in the kitchen, so my theory was to just move the paper outdoors.
Once outdoors, he didn't need the paper anymore.

Old August 13th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article .net,
"pfoley" wrote:

Once outdoors, he didn't need the paper anymore.

Why not make it easier and just use outdoors to begin with?

--
Janet Boss
Old August 13th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
CanineDivine

Why not make it easier and just use outdoors to begin with?

That would be preferable, but since the pup is being left alone for
long periods (NOT IDEAL) they need to provide a potty place for her
during the day time.

I actually used a product called Woody Pet when I got Faith. Our
hours can sometimes be unpredictable, and even with having hubby come
home at lunch (which he's always done, wasn't just a puppy thing) we
occassionally had to stay later at work that we wanted. We felt
better knowing that if she had to go, she could do so appropriately.
When home we took her out frequently, but even with that there were
times she'd toddle over to the litterbox and pee. Until her bladder
caught up with us human brains it was nice to know that we had a
safety net. And it was especially nice when the temps were below
zero, as I could have her potty in the litter box instead of bundling
up to go outside. She is an extra super duper smart pooch, but we
never had issues with housetraining.

Hope

Old August 13th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article . com,
CanineDivine wrote:

That would be preferable, but since the pup is being left alone for
long periods (NOT IDEAL) they need to provide a potty place for her
during the day time.

I agree, and she's apparently doing fine with the daytime arrangement.
What I don't get is why, when the OP is HOME and TAKING her to the
basement, why he can't just TAKE her OUTSIDE! Then again, I wouldn't
have a puppy if I wasn't willing to make sure they could be taken out as
needed midday (or in the case of toy breeds, possibly 2x during midday).

I actually used a product called Woody Pet when I got Faith. Our
hours can sometimes be unpredictable, and even with having hubby come
home at lunch (which he's always done, wasn't just a puppy thing) we
occassionally had to stay later at work that we wanted. We felt
better knowing that if she had to go, she could do so appropriately.
When home we took her out frequently, but even with that there were
times she'd toddle over to the litterbox and pee. Until her bladder
caught up with us human brains it was nice to know that we had a
safety net. And it was especially nice when the temps were below
zero, as I could have her potty in the litter box instead of bundling
up to go outside. She is an extra super duper smart pooch, but we
never had issues with housetraining.

I can't imagine doing that with a non-toy puppy, but a litter box or
grass pad would be my choice over "pee-pee pads" if necessary as well.

Bundling up to go out is just one of dog ownership's little "perks" -
fresh air and all of that!!

--
Janet Boss
Old August 13th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rob[_2_]

On Aug 13, 10:40 am, Janet Boss
wrote:
In article . com,

CanineDivine wrote:

[...]

Janet Bosswww.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Thanks a lot for all information. About take out for pee and poop,
it's just a preference. We take the dog out for exercise and for
having some fun.

Again, thanks a lot for al inputs.

Rob

Pom paper training problem Paul J. Dudley Dog behavior 4 March 15th 07 06:10 PM
paper training Freedee Dog behavior 2 January 26th 06 03:47 PM
Paper training to outside rae Dog behavior 2 February 10th 05 12:57 AM
Paper Training Adult Yorkie? The Newports Dog behavior 0 October 13th 03 02:59 AM
Paper Training Adult Yorkie? The Newports Dog behavior 0 October 13th 03 02:59 AM