Snarky or Snarkiness?

Old August 13th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Default Snarky or Snarkiness?

I have seen the term used in posts and I really don't know what it
means. Sometimes it sounds like what I would describe as 2 dogs giving
each other the look. Other times, it sounds like a full on brawl. What
does the term mean to you?

Be Free.....Judy

Old August 13th 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"Judith Althouse" wrote in message
I have seen the term used in posts and I really don't know what it
means. Sometimes it sounds like what I would describe as 2 dogs giving
each other the look. Other times, it sounds like a full on brawl. What
does the term mean to you?

I first heard it here, but it seems to be a combination of snarl and bark,
which aptly describes what I have observed when Muttley and Lucky have
played too rough, or when there have been resource guarding issues. It may
be sometimes more of a growl and bark, but "grorky" doesn't work! Snarky
says it all. But I wish Lucky could be desnarkified...

Paul, Muttley and Lucky (still at the kennel)

Old August 13th 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
CanineDivine

I tend to think of snarking as snapping with the intent of controlling
a resource, whether it be real estate, a toy, food, human...
whatever.
Hope

Old August 13th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article 2007081309312850073-montana@wildhackcominvalid,
montana wildhack wrote:
If dogs are dry, IMO, they are posturing more than
fighting, but perhaps I'm looking at things through rose-colored
glasses.

There are situations in which no spit ends up where it
shouldn't that are still not okay. But, I tend to think of
dog snarking as analogous to human snarking, which is
verbal, sarcastic, somewhat cutting, but not exceptionally
mean or serious. When you hear the phrase "so-and-so is
being snarky" you don't worry that a fight is about to break
out, just that so-and-so is being kind of difficult.

Old August 13th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Judith Althouse wrote:
I have seen the term used in posts and I really don't know what it
means. Sometimes it sounds like what I would describe as 2 dogs giving
each other the look. Other times, it sounds like a full on brawl. What
does the term mean to you?

My own definition of snarking is pretty broad. It includes everything
from a deliberately nasty glance to snarling and barking (snarking).

Old August 13th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
CanineDivine

I wish Lucky could be desnarkified...

Lucky (still at the kennel)

Here is a hint... Lucky can't be desnarkified without someone actually
WORKING with her. She's learning nothing in the kennel, and it could
very possibly be making the behavior worse. A lot of snarking is a
result of insecurity. She needs stability and structure in her life,
which means the same home, the same handler, the same routine plus
obedience skills worked daily. Lucky is the one that should be going
to class right now. If you actually wanted Lucky's behavior changed,
you would put forth the effort to make it so, not just "wish" for it.
There is no Snarking Fairy that will come down from above and
magically cure her. You'll have to put the time in like the rest of
us here did with our dogs.

Hope

Old August 13th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

CanineDivine spoke these words of wisdom in
ups.com:

I wish Lucky could be desnarkified...

Lucky (still at the kennel)

Here is a hint... Lucky can't be desnarkified without someone actually
WORKING with her. She's learning nothing in the kennel, and it could
very possibly be making the behavior worse. A lot of snarking is a
result of insecurity. She needs stability and structure in her life,
which means the same home, the same handler, the same routine plus
obedience skills worked daily. Lucky is the one that should be going
to class right now. If you actually wanted Lucky's behavior changed,
you would put forth the effort to make it so, not just "wish" for it.
There is no Snarking Fairy that will come down from above and
magically cure her. You'll have to put the time in like the rest of
us here did with our dogs.

Hope

That's straight talk truth

Owning a well behaved, well trained good citizen dog takes work. Wishing
doesn't make Lassie happen.
Old August 13th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
CanineDivine

Owning a well behaved, well trained good citizen dog takes work.
Wishing doesn't make Lassie happen.

I tried to wish our way to a utility title, but we weren't getting
anywhere so I started training. We're progressing much faster now if
only her body would keep up with her brain.

Hope