Dogs and Chickens (and poop)

Old August 13th 07, 09:37 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

Default Dogs and Chickens (and poop)

My brother did a wonderful job of taking care of the dogs while I was
gone. He even left them with a little present, 4 baby chickens and 1
rooster. The dogs are having a blast running around the wire fence to get
the chickens but they keep running at the fence thinking they can go thru
it. It is really funny to see them crash into the fence and look confused
about what happened. Anyway, Cali ate some of the rooster poop before it
got cleaned up, is that harmful? I don't plan to let her get anymore but
wanted to make sure that wasn't a problem. Should I worry? THANKS!

Old August 15th 07, 02:43 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Many Dogs \(flick\)

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
My brother did a wonderful job of taking care of the dogs while I was
gone. He even left them with a little present, 4 baby chickens and 1
rooster. The dogs are having a blast running around the wire fence to get
the chickens but they keep running at the fence thinking they can go thru
it. It is really funny to see them crash into the fence and look confused
about what happened. Anyway, Cali ate some of the rooster poop before it
got cleaned up, is that harmful? I don't plan to let her get anymore but
wanted to make sure that wasn't a problem. Should I worry? THANKS!

Chickens can have salmonella, but a normal healthy dog should be able to
ingest some bacteria without worry.

flick 100785

Old August 15th 07, 03:15 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

My brother did a wonderful job of taking care of the dogs while I was
gone. He even left them with a little present, 4 baby chickens and 1
rooster. The dogs are having a blast running around the wire fence to
get the chickens but they keep running at the fence thinking they can go
thru it. It is really funny to see them crash into the fence and look
confused about what happened. Anyway, Cali ate some of the rooster poop
before it got cleaned up, is that harmful? I don't plan to let her get
anymore but wanted to make sure that wasn't a problem. Should I worry?
THANKS!

Chickens can have salmonella, but a normal healthy dog should be able to
ingest some bacteria without worry.

thanks for responding! Cali appears fine so far but I will continue to keep
a close eye on her.

Old August 15th 07, 04:25 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Many Dogs \(flick\)

"MauiJNP" wrote in message

thanks for responding! Cali appears fine so far but I will continue to
keep a close eye on her.

Ongoing (more than once) diarrhea is probably what to watch for.

I don't think there are any parasites carried by chickens that dogs can
catch.

flick 100785

Old August 15th 07, 02:01 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Niki090909

On Aug 13, 3:37 pm, "MauiJNP" wrote:
My brother did a wonderful job of taking care of the dogs while I was
gone. He even left them with a little present, 4 baby chickens and 1
rooster. The dogs are having a blast running around the wire fence to get
the chickens but they keep running at the fence thinking they can go thru
it. It is really funny to see them crash into the fence and look confused
about what happened. Anyway, Cali ate some of the rooster poop before it
got cleaned up, is that harmful? I don't plan to let her get anymore but
wanted to make sure that wasn't a problem. Should I worry? THANKS!

My Labs love to eat and roll in chicken poop, it seems to be a hobby
for them! They've done this for years and we've never had any
problems. I suppose your dogs could get worms (especially round,
which is what chickens generally carry) from eating their poop. You
can worm your chickens from time to time which would prevent this.
Also if you dogs are on a monthly heart worm prevention medication,
that will also is a mild worming that will keep worms away.

I wouldn't worry,
Niki

Old August 16th 07, 11:03 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

"Niki090909" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

ok, thanks for the info

Dogs and Chickens Max Dog breeds 0 May 15th 06 12:46 PM
Dogs and Chickens Max Dogs - general 0 May 15th 06 12:46 PM
Dogs and Chickens Max Dog activities 0 May 15th 06 12:44 PM
Dogs and Chickens Max Dog behavior 0 May 15th 06 12:43 PM
Dogs and Chickens Janet Puistonen Dog behavior 6 August 12th 05 04:40 PM