Toilet and behavior problems

Old August 15th 07, 09:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
Pete L

Default Toilet and behavior problems

We are house/dog sitting for a month.The dog we are looking after is
Casper, a two year old Weimaraner. The owners got him from a rescue
centre and apparently he was mistreated by the previous owners. Casper
knows us well and for the most part is very affectionate and good -
however, we seem to be running into problems now. Most mornings when
we come downstairs he has left a puddle and a 'pile'. He seems to know
he's done wrong. Without any hitting at all I have spoken quite firmly
to him about it then it's back to normality. Casper can get a bit
boisterous at times and there has been recent occasions where he has
bitten the gardener - when a few months ago he was fine with him. The
owner had him chemically castrated (that's Casper not the gardener!) a
month or so ago. Apparently he was much more docile then. I have read
that the effect wears off after while. Could this be the reason for
the toilet problems and the boisterousness? Any advice appreciated.

Old August 15th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
Spot

Take him out right before you go to bed and maybe once during the night.
You could also pick the water up and hour or so before you go to bed and not
let it down for him to drink from over night. Some dogs will eat or drink
when stressed.

It could also be he's just not used to the routine. How often did he go out
with the owners? Our schedule is one that the dogs go out at 10pm, 2am,
6am, 10am, 1:30pm, 3:30pm, 5:30pm, 7:30pm We work different shifts and it's
not the typical schedule for a household but it's what our dogs are used to.
They can and often do sleep through the night but seldom are expected to
hold it more than 5 hours.

Celeste

I have a pup who will drink the whole bowl if I put it in her kennel at
night then have to go out half
ups.com...

Old August 16th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
Karl

"Pete L" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

HMMMMMM, A weimeraner that has bitten someone? VERY unusual and not typical
of the behavior one would expect from any bird dog. However, being a rescue
it could be the dog was abused by the first family. The dog may have a
traumatic injury to the skull. The bathroom problems should go away just by
being a bit proactive as far as timing goes.

I have no idea what the REAL effects of chemical castration are, or when
such effects may disappear. In the US we slice em and dice em.

chuck in persia