How much money does a good Doberman puppy command?

Old August 15th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
ahmed

Default How much money does a good Doberman puppy command?

I'm interested in buying a full-blooded doberman pinscher that's going
to grow up to be on the larger size.

How much should I be looking to spend? Does the breeder pay for the
ear cropping? What immediate expenses should I expect to pay myself
(aside from initial vet visits and whatnot)

Thanks!

Old August 15th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Suja

"ahmed" wrote in message:

I'm interested in buying a full-blooded doberman pinscher that's going
to grow up to be on the larger size.

People who breed dogs to be well outside the standards of the breeds often
are missing important stuff. Like health clearances (not a vet check, but
actual OFA/CERF type clearances). You're much better off finding a dog of
good breeding, where the breeder has taken great effort to minimize the
possibility that your dog will die prematurely of one of the serious
diseases that afflict the breed. Here is a very good primer on how to go
about choosing your Doberman breeder, and what health tests the breeder
should perform (at a minimum, on the parents, but generally, going back 3 to
5 generations, and independently verify the results in something like the
OFA database): http://www.thedoberman.com/choosebreeder.shtml.

How much should I be looking to spend?

Well bred dogs will generally cost you more than what you'll pay for a dog
out of the newspaper, and often less than one you'll buy from a pet store.
Keep in mind that the cost of the puppy is often a small part of the total
costs incurred in maintaining a dog. A well bred dog with appropriate
health clearances will more than likely keep your vet bills down and save
you money (and heartache) in the long run, while a cheaper puppy, bred
without much consideration to its conformation or health will more than
likely end up costing you more over the life of the dog.

Does the breeder pay for the
ear cropping?

I believe that the ear cropping is generally done when the puppy is around
7 - 10 weeks old (and no older than 12 weeks), and may be done by the
breeder. Because the procedure itself requires putting the dog under, your
breeder may pass the charges along to you, if you opt to have it done by the
breeder's vet. Also remember that the owner needs to work towards getting
the ears to stand - you'll need to tape and post the ears, and how long you
may have to do that (weeks or months) depends on a whole lot of factors.

What immediate expenses should I expect to pay myself
(aside from initial vet visits and whatnot)

I'm not sure what exactly 'whatnot' covers. You'll probably need:

Collar and leash. You may need multiple collars as the dog gets older
Bowls for food and water
Grooming tools - brush, nail clippers, shampoo, tooth paste, tooth brush
Crate - you can either buy a large one and get a divider, or start with
something smaller and buy the larger ones on an as-needed basis
Dog bed
Ongoing vet visits - puppy shots, annual physicals, treatment for ailments,
neuter, etc.
Regular maintenance stuff like heartworm medicine and flea/tick
preventatives
Toys, treats and dog food
Training classes
Dog license, Nature's Miracle, Bitter Apple, crop maintenance supplies,
replacement for whatever the puppy chews up when you're not watching, etc.

Suja

Old August 17th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
rom

"ahmed" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm interested in buying a full-blooded doberman pinscher that's going
to grow up to be on the larger size.

How much should I be looking to spend? Does the breeder pay for the
ear cropping? What immediate expenses should I expect to pay myself
(aside from initial vet visits and whatnot)

Thanks!

Before even thinking about price, ask yourself these questions-

Do you have a large fenced in backyard?

Do you enjoy a dog that wants/needs to be with or around you at all times?

Will you crate train your dog?

Will you commit to walking your dog at least 5 times a week for the next 10
years?

Will you commit the time and energy to properly train and socialize your
dog?

If you answer no to any of these questions you should not even consider a
Doberman.

Old August 17th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Robin Nuttall

rom wrote:

"ahmed" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm interested in buying a full-blooded doberman pinscher that's going
to grow up to be on the larger size.

How much should I be looking to spend? Does the breeder pay for the
ear cropping? What immediate expenses should I expect to pay myself
(aside from initial vet visits and whatnot)

Thanks!

Before even thinking about price, ask yourself these questions-

Do you have a large fenced in backyard?

Do you enjoy a dog that wants/needs to be with or around you at all times?

Will you crate train your dog?

Will you commit to walking your dog at least 5 times a week for the next 10
years?

Will you commit the time and energy to properly train and socialize your
dog?

If you answer no to any of these questions you should not even consider a
Doberman.

Well that's a bit harsh. You do not have to have a large fenced back
yard. A fence, yes. Dobermans are not looked upon kindly by the
neighbors and letting one run loose is a recipe for trouble. But they
don't really self-exercise, so enough for them to go out and do their
business and sunbathe a bit is fine.

There's no requirement to walk a doberman XX number of days per week.
It's more correct to say that Dobermans are highly active with
tremendous energy. They're also very smart. Which means they need both
physical and mental work to do, and if you don't provide that they'll
think of something. And boy can they be creative.

As for cost, you have to realize that Dobermans have a lot of health
issues. It is, unfortunately, rather likely that you might run into some
scary vet bills as the dog gets older. And it's also likely that if you
don't get a dog from a responsible breeder who tests for cardiomyopathy
each year that you may be in trouble. So for a well-bred Doberman,
expect to pay anywhere from $800 to $1500. More for show/working quality.
Old August 19th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
rom

"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message

Well that's a bit harsh.

Maybe, but correct and to the point.

Old August 19th 07, 08:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
redbordy

On Aug 16, 12:30 am, ahmed wrote:
I'm interested in buying a full-blooded doberman pinscher that's going
to grow up to be on the larger size.

How much should I be looking to spend? Does the breeder pay for the
ear cropping? What immediate expenses should I expect to pay myself
(aside from initial vet visits and whatnot)

Thanks!

hi I am going to be breeding myself, but border collies. I sugest you
have a look on the website www.dogzonline.com and there you will find
a whole list of good breeders. Dobermans cost around and from $500 to
$1000. Please dont ever buy a dog from a pet shop as you just dont
know if its a purebred and if you are going to spend that kind of
money on a dog you are better off going to a breeder. You also need to
look into what kind of hereditery diseases dobermans have and make
sure that which ever breeder you go to has done the responsible thing
and tested for all the diseases and you are intitled to ask for the
results. I think that you can go onto the doberman data base and
register and then it tells you and which breeders have got the
hereditery diseases in there lines.I hope this helps. cheers

Old August 19th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

In article .com,
redbordy wrote:
hi I am going to be breeding myself, but border collies. I sugest you
have a look on the website www.dogzonline.com and there you will find
a whole list of good breeders.

Oh. My. G-d.

No, that's actually a place to increase the odds of finding
a really terrible breeder. *Terrible*. Those online dog
classified things are a great big mess.

Old August 19th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Kathleen

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article .com,
redbordy wrote:

hi I am going to be breeding myself, but border collies. I sugest you
have a look on the website www.dogzonline.com and there you will find
a whole list of good breeders.

Oh. My. G-d.

No, that's actually a place to increase the odds of finding
a really terrible breeder. *Terrible*. Those online dog
classified things are a great big mess.

Oh my god indeed. She wants to breed border collies... Like the
rescues aren't already full. Like there are no BCs sitting on death row
for want of a capable home.

Old August 19th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

In article .com,
redbordy wrote:
Dobermans cost around and from $500 to
$1000.

By the way, why do you think it's helpful to quote
Australian prices to someone in the US? Don't you think you
should mention that those are Australian dollars?

Old August 22nd 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Robin Nuttall

rom wrote:
"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message

Well that's a bit harsh.

Maybe, but correct and to the point.

And how many years have you been in the breed?