cooked chicken bones and dogs

Old August 17th 07, 05:44 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

Default cooked chicken bones and dogs

if a dog eats some cooked chicken bones, are they guaranteed to have a
problem or is it just a possibility?

maui got into some trash that was on the back deck and may have eaten some
bone by the time I can back. one website said to just keep a close eye on
him for problems going to the bathroom and change in activity and also feed
lots of rice over the next couple of days. i am waiting for a vet to get
back to me.

any thoughts on this?

Old August 17th 07, 06:30 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
if a dog eats some cooked chicken bones, are they guaranteed to have a
problem or is it just a possibility?

maui got into some trash that was on the back deck and may have eaten
some bone by the time I can back. one website said to just keep a close
eye on him for problems going to the bathroom and change in activity and
also feed lots of rice over the next couple of days. i am waiting for a
vet to get back to me.

any thoughts on this?

I was concerned the first time Muttley got into the trash and ate the bones
from a bucket of KFC fried chicken. The vet just said to watch for normal
behavior and regular pooping. His poops were almost white, and dried up
like chunks of plaster, but he was OK. Then a friend said she gave chicken
bones all the time to her small dog, and never had problems. So I would
give them to Muttley, and I saw that he took his time chewing them, and so
I was no longer concerned.

However, others on RPDB pleaded with me not to do that, and when I called
my vet, she said it was not good. Someone also explained that dogs do not
have molars to chew the bones into a safe, splinter free form. I asked
about using a blender or food processor to grind up the bones, but it's
probably best to avoid them totally.

If Maui usually chews his food carefully, I would be much less concerned
than if he tends to inhale his food. I think that is how diddy's dog Tuck
almost died.

Best of luck, and we hope everything "comes out OK".

Paul, Muttley and Lucky

Old August 17th 07, 06:53 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
if a dog eats some cooked chicken bones, are they guaranteed to have a
problem or is it just a possibility?

maui got into some trash that was on the back deck and may have eaten some
bone by the time I can back. one website said to just keep a close eye on
him for problems going to the bathroom and change in activity and also

feed
lots of rice over the next couple of days. i am waiting for a vet to get
back to me.

any thoughts on this?

===========
I would say just a possibility. I bet most dogs have gotten into the trash
at least once and eaten chicken bones and nothing happened.
But, I would never feed a dog chicken bones. Actually, I don't give my dog
any bones at all.

Old August 17th 07, 07:39 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
MauiJNP wrote:
if a dog eats some cooked chicken bones, are they guaranteed to have a
problem or is it just a possibility?

There aren't many guarantees anywhere, and there's no
guarantee here, either. The issue is that when something
goes wrong it goes very, very wrong. Talking to the vet is
almost always a good thing.

Old August 17th 07, 08:50 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
MauiJNP wrote:
if a dog eats some cooked chicken bones, are they guaranteed to have a
problem or is it just a possibility?

There aren't many guarantees anywhere, and there's no
guarantee here, either. The issue is that when something
goes wrong it goes very, very wrong. Talking to the vet is
almost always a good thing.

the vet got back to me and said that I should keep an eye on him and if I
notice any unusual stool, vomitting, belly tenderness or activity level to
bring him in. she told me to stuff him full of food to help add bulk and
cushion any bones or pieces that many have gotten in (he might not have even
had any). I gave him two pieces of bread, some rice and later more rice and
some potatoes. he will get more food than normal for a few days as well. i
will be home most of the weekend but will make sure he is not alone at any
time. so it will be a stressful few days here.

Old August 17th 07, 08:55 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
MauiJNP wrote:
I gave him two pieces of bread, some rice and later more rice and
some potatoes. he will get more food than normal for a few days as well.

I hope he's not so smart that he figures out that if he
wants to eat eat eat he needs to eat something sharp first.
I hate to say it but some dogs (not mentioning any names)
might take advantage.

Old August 17th 07, 09:01 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
Ebbtide

MauiJNP wrote:
[...]

Rice is good, potatoes and bread are not. Just add the rice to his reg.
food. Don't overload him w/ food. My dog has woofed bones down whole and did
fine. She is a real scavenger. I swear if she could talk she would tell
everyone I never feed her.

Old August 17th 07, 09:20 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

I gave him two pieces of bread, some rice and later more rice and
some potatoes. he will get more food than normal for a few days as well.

I hope he's not so smart that he figures out that if he
wants to eat eat eat he needs to eat something sharp first.
I hate to say it but some dogs (not mentioning any names)
might take advantage.

I hope the only lesson learned here is that even in the dark or rain, take
the trash bag to the can instead of just putting it on the back deck and
forgetting it was there while I let the dogs out the next morning.

Old August 17th 07, 09:21 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

the vet got back to me and said that I should keep an eye on him and if I
notice any unusual stool, vomitting, belly tenderness or activity level
to bring him in. she told me to stuff him full of food to help add bulk
and cushion any bones or pieces that many have gotten in (he might not
have even had any). I gave him two pieces of bread, some rice and later
more rice and some potatoes. he will get more food than normal for a few
days as well. i will be home most of the weekend but will make sure he
is not alone at any time. so it will be a stressful few days here.

Rice is good, potatoes and bread are not. Just add the rice to his reg.
food. Don't overload him w/ food.

what makes you say that?

My dog has woofed bones down whole and did fine. She is a real scavenger.
I swear if she could talk she would tell everyone I never feed her.

Maui would be telling the same story.

Old August 17th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

the vet got back to me and said that I should keep an eye on him and if I
notice any unusual stool, vomitting, belly tenderness or activity level to
bring him in. she told me to stuff him full of food to help add bulk and
cushion any bones or pieces that many have gotten in (he might not have
even
had any). I gave him two pieces of bread, some rice and later more rice
and
some potatoes. he will get more food than normal for a few days as well.
will be home most of the weekend but will make sure he is not alone at any
time. so it will be a stressful few days here.

yup, stressful indeed. the one and only time i've ever had a dog raid
the trash it was luce and she got into cooked chicken bones. she
didn't have any problems, thankfully.

fingers crossed and good luck!

thanks! I will take all the good luck I can right now.