I Was Not Missed (Much)

Old August 18th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Default I Was Not Missed (Much)

When I got to my mom's house late last night, Harriet was sleeping in
my brother's room. He got up, but Harriet couldn't be bothered.
Gabe finally went in and shoved her out of bed, because she just
didn't want to get up. She said "Hi" but it was the same sort of
greeting I get when I come home from work. Another words, not much
of one.

Then, when we were bringing in crap from the car, she went back to
bed in Gabe's room. Brat! I slept on the couch, and she *did* come
out and find me in the middle of the night, but gee, she could have
at least faked missing me!

Adventures Harriet had:
Splashing in the Frog Baby fountain on campus
Jogging with EEELB
Eating cat food
Accidentally swimming in the river
Getting a bath after accidentally swimming in the river
Playing in poison ivy, and giving EEELB and GF a rash
Getting a bath after playing in poison ivy

Adventures Pandora-cat had:
Exploring every square inch of my mom's house

EEELB says he had fun, and he volunteered to dogsit again. He said
she was easy peasy. Harriet had fun, too, so I'm definitely going to
take him up on his offer.

--
Shelly
Old August 18th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Shelly wrote:

EEELB says he had fun, and he volunteered to dogsit again. He said
she was easy peasy. Harriet had fun, too, so I'm definitely going to
take him up on his offer.

I'm glad it worked out so well for all of you.

Know what you mean about the ho-hum greeting. A few years ago,
we left the Chihuahuas in the home of a pet sitter for two weeks
while we were on vacation. When we went to her house to pick
them up, neither came to the door. We walked into her den, where
we found them curled up on the back pillows of a couch. They
turned their heads, looked at us and barely acknowledged our
presence.

We did get more of a greeting when we actually picked them up -
then the wiggling and licking and squeaking began.

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old August 18th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Shelly,
I am glad you arrived home safely. Well, I guess that shows you what
I know about dog behavior. So much for the sniffing and the high jumps
that I expected from Harriet. I guess that will show you not to go on
vacation without her again. That is my new theory....her behavior, of
lack of was the big pay back for leaving her.
Sounds like she enjoyed her vacation. I hope she doesn't suffer from
SA from your brother.
Maybe she is just a hard sleeper
I hope you had a pleasant vacation.

Be Free.....Judy

Old August 19th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Shelly wrote:

Then, when we were bringing in crap from the car, she went back to
bed in Gabe's room. Brat! I slept on the couch, and she *did* come
out and find me in the middle of the night, but gee, she could have
at least faked missing me!

Heh. I think this is a very good thing. I absolutely know my dogs have
always received great care in my absence, but they DO have the decency
to act like they've been starved for *everything*. ;-D

--
Janet Boss
Old August 19th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

montana wildhack wrote in

Geeze. You left her, she had to be bathed repeatedly, she had LOTS
more fun with them and then you come crawling back in the middle
of the night and you expect...what? Boinging? Oh, I don't think
so. Get over yourself.

Other Brother asked me what was wrong with Harriet! He thought she
must be sick or something, because she was being so unenthusiastic.
By morning she was back to her normal bouncy self, though. Of
course, he was sleeping, so he missed it. She even play bowed and
kidney beaned at my mom. She *never* does that around anyone but me.
Goofball.

Good to hear that everybody had such a good time!

Thanks! I think the little brat is glad to be home-home. She
enjoyed herself, but based on how much sleeping she's done since we
got back to Bloomington, I think she must have been a bit stressed.
She spent yesterday on the couch, comatose. Me too.

--
Shelly
Old August 19th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Terri wrote in
:

IOW Harriet had a partay!

Oh yeah.

That is the benchmark of how I knew my son had a good time when
he was little and stayed with someone when I had to be gone.
Part of you wants to be missed but the other part is relieved
that you weren't because you knew it was good times and there
wasn't time to be missed.

I always told parents that even when their kids squawked about being
left, they were fine as soon as mom and dad pulled out of the
driveway. Occasionally, the squawking would carry on until the
parents got to the end of the street, but not often. Most kids were
fine, but a few had learned how to be be manipulative little buggers.
The "being left with the sitter tantrums" were all for show.

Okay now *that's* just rubbing it in!

I think she's just a sleepy head, and she'll always choose to sleep
with someone if possible. Since I wasn't in bed yet, she made the
logical-to-her choice. (This might explain why I laugh whenever
anyone says Boxers are, um, loyal. IDTS.)

Sounds to me like you've found not only a future babysitter but
future play dates as well.

Yep!

--
Shelly
Old August 19th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

elegy wrote in
:

he was ho hum oh hi you're back when he saw me
but when he saw luce he totally lit up and boinged.

That used to happen when I'd leave Elliott at home with a sitter.
Whenever Harriet and I got home, she was the one who got the happy
greeting. At best, I got an "Oh, it's you."

--
Shelly
Old August 19th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

he was ho hum oh hi you're back when he saw me
but when he saw luce he totally lit up and boinged.

That used to happen when I'd leave Elliott at home with a sitter.
Whenever Harriet and I got home, she was the one who got the happy
greeting. At best, I got an "Oh, it's you."

If I take Maui somewhere, Cali is more excited to see him than me. When she
does finally start paying attention to me, so does Maui (as if he missed me
too when his was with me the whole time).

Old August 20th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Janet Boss" wrote in message:

Heh. I think this is a very good thing. I absolutely know my dogs have
always received great care in my absence, but they DO have the decency
to act like they've been starved for *everything*. ;-D

Khan rarely acts like he cares. You've got walks, car rides and food for
him, he's happy. I think that staying in new places does stress him (as
evidenced by the amount of sleeping he does when we return), but he
internalizes it. Pan of course acts like I'm the center of her universe,
and is ecstatic when we return. Given her SA, I'd be a lot happier if she
didn't.

Having been the dog sitter and the dog sittee, it always gives me great
pleasure to see the dogs I've sat for, and be greeted like I'm part of the
family. And at the other end, I'm always happy when my dogs greet their
sitters the same way.

Suja