My dog is having seizures and he is only a puppie.

Old August 14th 04, 09:13 PM
Kayla Lynn

Default My dog is having seizures and he is only a puppie.

I have a Miniature Pincher. He is only 7 months old
and he has been having seizures since he was 3 months
old. He is on Phenobarbitol at the time and the
seizures only seem to get worse. I have had his liver
tested and that was good, and also his electrolyte's (sp?)
checked and they came back good. He has had 7 seizures
in the last week, and this is starting to become a habit.
My vet wants to add another medication next week. My vet
has been really nice and been giving us valium shot but
them sometimes don't work. With me having hardly little
money, it is killing me to see him like this and
trying to slove the problem. I thought maybe someone
would have some anwsers for me or maybe know someone that
would. I could use any information at this time.

Thank-you,
Kayla Lynn
Old August 15th 04, 01:39 AM
Tee

"Kayla Lynn" wrote in message
om...
I have a Miniature Pincher. He is only 7 months old
and he has been having seizures since he was 3 months
old. He is on Phenobarbitol at the time and the
seizures only seem to get worse. I have had his liver
tested and that was good, and also his electrolyte's (sp?)
checked and they came back good. He has had 7 seizures
in the last week, and this is starting to become a habit.
My vet wants to add another medication next week. My vet
has been really nice and been giving us valium shot but
them sometimes don't work. With me having hardly little
money, it is killing me to see him like this and
trying to slove the problem. I thought maybe someone
would have some anwsers for me or maybe know someone that
would. I could use any information at this time.

I'm no epilepsy expert although there are some posters here who have lived
with epileptic dogs for years that will be able to offer more insight. The
second medication (I'm assuming the vet is thinking of the cocktail) may
just do the trick. I know that epilepsy can take time to get under control
with medication because there's often alot of initial dosage adjustment
needed. If you notice a decrease in the seizure frequency with the new
combination of meds then maybe your vet can help you find a way to better
afford them.

If you find that the cocktail doesn't help much and your pup's quality of
life is suffering then you may want to consider euthanasia. I know that's
blunt and not something anyone ever wants to hear but if an animal is
suffering then, depending on the situation, it can be kinder to end that
suffering than allow it to continue. I'd give the medication combo a good
trial run, make any necessary adjustments to the dosage, then re-evaluate
with your vet. Don't be afraid to tell the vet that you have doubts as to
your ability to pay for continuing medication or any concerns you may have
over your pup's quality of life. A good vet will offer you insight,
possible alternatives, and support.

--
Tara

Old August 15th 04, 12:23 PM
Tami Caldon - SilverCity Dals

That cocktail would quite possibly be Potassium Bromide. I have had two epi
dogs. One I did Phenobarbital and Potassium Bromide and the other I did no
medication. It is very hard to control seizures if you do not know the
source. Some people have had success with a raw diet. here is a link to a
great resource page http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/ there is also a list
you can join the following link will tell you how....and it is for all
breeds. http://www.thedca.org/seizurelinks.html Unfortunately for my two
both ended in euthanasia.

Tami and the Gang
Keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart, keeps people wondering
what you've been up to
Come visit us.....Last updated June 23rd, 2004
http://mysite.verizon.net/res9016t/SCDals.html Dogs

"Kayla Lynn" wrote in message
om...
I have a Miniature Pincher. He is only 7 months old
and he has been having seizures since he was 3 months
old. He is on Phenobarbital at the time and the
seizures only seem to get worse. I have had his liver
tested and that was good, and also his electrolyte's (sp?)
checked and they came back good. He has had 7 seizures
in the last week, and this is starting to become a habit.
My vet wants to add another medication next week. My vet
has been really nice and been giving us valium shot but
them sometimes don't work. With me having hardly little
money, it is killing me to see him like this and
trying to solve the problem. I thought maybe someone
would have some answers for me or maybe know someone that

Old August 17th 04, 03:25 AM
Rocky

Kayla Lynn said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I could use any information at this time.

Your dog is young - a physical or environmental condition *may*
be responsible for your dog's seizures. Emphasis on "may".
What is the other drug your vet recommended?

Tara mentioned a cocktail - this is a combination of the two
most common epilepsy drugs: Potassium Bromide (KBr) and
Phenobarbital (PB). Each have somewhat different effects,
though KBr seems to be better drug for those dogs with frequent
seizures and PB is the most accepted drug for those dogs with
sporadic seizures.

Dogs being dogs, every one of them reacts differently to each
drug. Rocky does well on a combination of both. It took time
to balance Rocky's drugs and diet, but he's now been two years
seaizure free. There can be side-effects to both dogs - this is
best discussed with your vet.

Tami mentioned diet. I agree with her - many have had luck
feeding their seizure dog raw food, though I still feed Rocky
kibble. My personal opinion is that *consistency* is the key.
Rocky eats California Natural, a very straightforward food that
allows me good control over his diet.

Please don't be misguided by Tami's general statement that "it
is very hard to control seizures".

Old August 18th 04, 11:56 AM
Tami Caldon - SilverCity Dals

Please note that I did say if you do not know the source they are hard to
control. Diet is a source as well as may other things such as low thyroid
and light.

Old August 22nd 04, 02:40 AM
MK

A puppy having seizures, especially a smaller breed such as this, should be
tested for a portosystemic shunt (PSS). I know you said the liver had been
tested but standard liver enzyme tests will not detect PSS. You need to do
a "bile acids" test, where a sample is drawn, then the dog is fed a high
protein meal (i.e. puppy food), then another sample is drawn two hours
later. This is a pretty good test for PSS. A PSS can be surgically
corrected, which normally puts and end to the seizures. A PSS leads to a
build-up of ammonia in the bloodstream which causes the seizures. A
prescription laxative call lactulose may help in the meantime. For more
information, check out.... http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/pss.htm and
http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/ca...ic%20shunt.htm

MK DVM

om...

Old August 22nd 04, 02:55 AM
Rocky

MK said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/pss.htm

Thanks for that link.

My Staffordshire Pit, Puppy 3 1/2 months having seizures HELP GiGiPerez Dog breeds 1 September 7th 04 12:15 PM
Liver and seizures Dog Lover Dog health 0 November 24th 03 03:36 PM
Seizures.. OrlandoHot Dog health 10 October 16th 03 03:38 AM
Seizures.. OrlandoHot Dog health 0 October 12th 03 08:17 PM
Seizures Help! Rocky Dog health 17 August 27th 03 04:07 AM